Third eyelid....should I worry?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Ducote, Jul 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

Hello :cat: Ducote has had diarrhea for the last week or so. I have been trying home remedies so far: Putting pumpkin in his food, switching his food, I ordered a probiotic from amazon that should come in today, and this morning I tried a tiny bit of immodium. I also noticed that he is not drinking as much so I am adding more water to his food because I know that it is important with diarrhea.
    A few days ago both of his third eyelids began showing. Sometimes it will be completely gone but other times it will take up half of his eyes. I Googled it and read that it can mean a hundred different things but one is GI problems so I figured that this must be it. I must admit that it is kind of scary when he looks at me and his eyes are covered :eek: Is this something that I should worry over?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Uhhh I would be worried. Can you call his vets and tell them this?

Lalkabee and Heather & Ducote like this.
  3. Lalkabee

Lalkabee Member

yup, you have to go to the vet. Sorry :/ The eye lid thing is a big sign of something being wrong!

4. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

His diarrhea was a bit better yesterday and for the first time in a week there was no poopy accidents on the floor when I woke up. His third eyelids are still visible but not out as much as they were before. I am hoping that this means that something is working. We are going out of town this weekend again. We were out of town last weekend as well and he stayed with my sister. Now that Ducote is diabetic, I am hating the weekend trips that I once looked forward too :( I have no choice though because my family owns a scuba business and because we live in central Louisiana we must travel to a place with open water to conduct classes. Since he is having odd symptoms, I booked a room that is pet friendly and will attempt to bring him along this weekend on the four hour trip. Wish me luck!

5. jt and trouble (GA)

WHOA Heather! GOOD LUCK
    BUT I would do the same.
    We are a NASCAR family and I missed years of races 4 every year just because I had no one to take care of Trouble so I KNOW how you feel.
    Lets us know how its going if you are able.;);) Love ya! :bighug:
    j

Heather & Ducote likes this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I agree with the vet visit. It usually indicates pain.

My cat Zimmy would get diarrhea when he was constipated but only the liquid stuff was squirming by. Pumkin added to his food always did the trick for him.

I would get your kitty checked out.

7. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

I had to skip a dose two nights ago because his PMPS was 120 after the stall. This is the first skipped dose so his numbers have stayed pretty high the last two days. Today is the day that I pack him up for his very first family vacation (a four hour drive) :confused: We leave in a few hours and, in common fashion for my kitty, he threw me a curve ball (I swear by now he could play for the professional leagues o_O). His AMPS was 103!! I am stalling for now but I really don't want to skip another dose and I also do not want to give a dose that brings him super low while we are on the road :( Does this ever get any easier?

8. jt and trouble (GA)

It does. Once you get a solid routine and numbers start to fall in line...all other "issues" resolved it does get easier. Think of it this way. With all the interactions (good AND bad) you are building a level of trust and bond that is immeasurable. Ducote knows this and so will you. PATIENCE is not for the faint of heart.
    j.

Heather & Ducote likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.