? Thoughts on this food??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lisa and little, Dec 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and little

Lisa and little Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    Can someone take a look at this? Seems to be a new food made exclusively for Chewy. they posted quite a bit of info on their site in the Q&A
    Attached are what they say about carbs and a brief overview. Does this meet the standards we use here? I’m a bit confused by the carb count referring to dry matter based. Any advice much appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

3. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Here we work on the % of kilocalories (aka metabolisable energy, ME) derived from carbohydrates in the diet. For a feline diabetic the recommendation is for that value to be less than 10%.

The carb % on a dry matter basis (DMB) is the proportion of carbs in the food without the moisture content.

Typically the DMB carb % is fairly close to the % carbs from calories. At 10.45% DMB this particular product is potentially too high in carbs for regular feeding of a feline diabetic. (Would need to get 'as fed' % values from Chewy for protein, fat, moisture and two out of crude fibre/crude ash/carbs in order to calculate the % kcals from carbs. Sometimes Chewy customer services will give the % kilocalories from carbs if they're specifically requested.)

The 'as fed' carb % is not a guide to the suitability of a food for a diabetic: moisture content, quantity of macronutrients, fibre and inorganic matter (ash) all vary depending on the food formulation (hence the need for DMB comparison in the first instance).

@Sharon14 -

FYI, per the the info in the first image Lisa posted above, Chewy advises that the 'as fed' carb % for the Tiny Tiger chicken paté is 2.3% (10.45% DMB), and that's exactly the same value given for it by the opening poster in the thread you linked. This would lead me to question whether all the carb %s in the linked post are for 'as fed' values and therefore not a suitable guide to whether the foods mentioned are low enough in carbs for a feline diabetic's regular diet.

Mogs

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
    Reason for edit: Clarification.
  4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I've given it. It's good but only a few of my cats liked it so I stopped getting it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.