Tidy Cat Free and Clean Litter?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by HereKittyKittyKitty, Aug 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HereKittyKittyKitty

HereKittyKittyKitty Member

Shortly before my cat started showing symptoms of diabetes (they came on very, very rapidly), Tidy Cat added Glade scent (chemicals--grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!) to the Multiple Cat litter. I cannot help but think this may have precipitated the onset of his diabetes, although not necessarily caused it, since he was eating dry kibble.

Anyway, between changing diet to low carb 9 Lives plus freeze-dried meat dog treats, and changing the litter to a plain clay, he has been in remission for almost two years :joyful:

However... the plain clay litter does not work in the automatic litter box, and it comes in bags, which are hard to handle. I really miss the automatic litter box and the pails.

Has anyone used the new Tidy Cat Free and Clean litter? Do you like it? Does it clump like the old Tidy Cat did (not like the newer stuff that doesn't clump as well)? Does the charcoal get all over everything? Does it actually control odor? Does it work in an automatic litter box? Does the charcoal clog the automatic litter box? Dust?

Does the lightweight version work as well?

Are there any nasty chemicals/substances that could make these new litters problematic/hazardous to my cat's health?

Thank you, in advance.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

This is not what you asked about, but anytime the subject of litter comes up, I have to sing the praises of Okocat natural wood clumping litter. It is great. I never thought I would get excited about litter, but I was so thrilled to find this one. I would never use clay again.

HereKittyKittyKitty likes this.
  3. HereKittyKittyKitty

Is it hardwood or pine? Does it work in an automatic litter box?

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I use the new Tidy Cat litter. I hated the Glade scent too, and when I saw this one I was so relieved! I really like it. I don't notice the charcoal getting everywhere, but it does have some dust when you first pour it out (just like the other Tidy Cats with scented litter do). Beyond that, I haven't noticed any problems. It does seem to control odor except when my cats choose to not bury their business. I haven't used the lightweight version as I tried that before with the others and it got all stuck in my cats paws and went everywhere....it just wasn't worth the cleanup and the hassle of grabbing them after they went to the bathroom and trying to clean it out from between their toes. I'll never use it again! I don't have an auto box, so I can't say if it will work in there, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

5. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

I love the new litter!!! I HATE scented litter... if it bothers me 3 rooms away, imagine how it is for the cats. This new Tidy Cat has no scent and seems to clump well (for mine at least). It doesn't fully hide odor, but it helps.

My cats still manage to track it around. But I think they havr secret litter spreading powers lol

The charcoal is small, same size as the litter. I don't think itll harm an autobox... but i don't have one. If regular litter works in it, i dont see why this kind wouldnt

All the light weight litters I have tried dont work well andaren't worth the extra money.

Dust amount seems to be less, but I don't really pay attention to it.

I don't think there's any "nasty" chemicals. Charcoal and clay. The ones that have crystals in them would be more likely to have bad things.

6. HereKittyKittyKitty

Thank you, everyone. After we get moved, I'll give it a try :)

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I like fresh step ultra unscented. The fresh step with fabreeze is aweful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.