? Time for a dosage change for Magic?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Denver & Magic (GA), Oct 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

@Marje and Gracie / @JanetNJ,

I need your wisdom here…

Magic has been doing much better since we moved him to ProZinc and added additional feedings. However the last couple of weeks he’s confused me to where I’ve been conflicted as to what to do.

Some days he runs much higher than expected which I’m guessing is him still trying to adjust to lower numbers. Other days, like today he decides to drop and I needed to help him out. Seems like every time it seems he needs an increase he decides to go the other way which is why I’ve basically stopped at 4.5u/x2 hoping he levels out so I can see which way to go.

Now, I’m wondering if he may need a slight decrease due to how things went yesterday and today. (Ignore the morning numbers from 9/23…. After speaking with the vet we believe I may have hit a blood vessel and caused the crash. He showed me a couple of different techniques to tell before injecting which I’ve been using since).

Thoughts? Should I try a reduction or stay a little while longer hoping he makes up his mind.
    I love the little furball but he’s really stressing me out trying to keep him safe but still get him well.

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Since you are doing SLGS he has technically earned a 0.25 reduction.... But it really wasn't THAT low. If it were my cat I might just keep him at his current dose and if he goes low again then reduce. Really its your call. What does your gut say?

3. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

That’s my dilemma….

I know when he goes high he really goes high and tends to get ‘stuck’. I also have the complication of being unable to monitor him as closely through the day while I’m at work. I work about 30 min from home. He’s now decided if anyone other than me tests his blood he wants to test theirs :( I’m running out of folks willing to help me since he wants to play vampire kitty.

Last week we reduced him from four cans of FF to three to make sure he doesn’t balloon back up to 18+ Lbs. My vet wants to keep him in the 12-14lb range so he doesn’t run into other health problems from being overweight again. He’s a ‘big boned’ cat as it is.

I’m thinking the food reduction is making the drops greater but if I’m adding additional food to keep him from going below 100 it’s kind of defeating the purpose in both ends.

It’s that paradox why I’m not sure what to do. I’m also wondering if it’s just him adjusting and I just need to give it more time. Patience is not one of my virtues but I know I can’t rush the process.

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.