? Tips for switching to Lantus from PZI after DKA

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Camcat, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Camcat

Camcat Member

Hi All,

I'm planning to switch my sweet kitty Cam to Lantus from PZI sometime in the future. She was dx 2018, and has been on PZI since (currently 2 units 2x a day). She definitely has a U shaped curve with a nadir at +6, and I'm looking to get it flatter. She had DKA about 6 weeks ago, and thankfully after 9 days at the hospital, she was released and has been stable since (testing Ketones every couple of days). Not s100% sure what caused the DKA, but probably a combination of having travelled from NYC to SC (stress), undiagnosed UTI, and us on vacation for a week before with caretaker doing insulin shots. The DKA started the day we got back from vacation (here's the link to the home care post DKA thread I have: https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/home-care-post-dka.232204/#post-2615906 )

I have some questions:

1. Is it safe to switch to a depot insulin after DKA?

2. How long does it take to build up the insulin depot, and will her BG be high while this happens? I have read on here that you can start the Lantus dose at the same as the PZI dose, which would be about 2 units for Cam, but I'm not sure how the first few doses will affect her BG.

3. Any other tips for the switch from other DKA kitties?

Thank you all for your help. This site is THE BEST.

2. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Welcome. I think it’s a great move. A few quick answers and then I’m going to refer you to the yellow stickies. It is safe to switch after DKA. You will get guidance from those who know more about DKA than I do with how to go about it. Since you aren’t moving now please read and then ask questions.

Camcat likes this.