Tips on early/late shots? (Vaccination means I'll be going out more)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by cabreu, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cabreu

cabreu Member

Now that I'm vaccinated, I'll be allowing myself to go out in the evenings sometimes during Willow's usual insulin shot times.

Say I give her the evening shot at 10pm instead of 8pm, or at 6pm instead of 8pm-- any tips on how to handle this? I read in a post once that a late shot can look like a reduction, and an early shot like an increase-- so how do you adjust dose to late/early shots? Willow gets 7.5 units, so there is room for adjustment.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With Levemir, you shouldn't be changing shot times by two hours earlier. The suggestion is to get back on track by 15 minutes a shot, or 1/2 hour once a day. If you know in advance you will be late, you can gradually work her shot time later until the night you will be back later, then gradually move it back to where you want it to be. I had a monthly meeting that started 1/2 hour before PMPS (and I had to get there), so I'd move it up each cycle for a few days before hand, shoot early, then moved it back. It's a little easier moving shot times back later. It'll result in less than ideal numbers with a regulated cat.

Here are some examples: Getting back on a 12/12 shot schedule

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

What Wendy said! Depot insulins like Lantus and Levemir don't give you a great deal of flexibility with adjusting shot time due to the way the depot works.

4. cabreu

cabreu Member

Thanks Wendy and Sienne. I guess this is stricter than I thought. What if I go out of town, and ask a sitter to do shots? Assuming they aren't going to make it to my place right on time everyday (and there's no way for me to know if they do), should I just reduce her daily dose?

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

If you decide to go out of town, post on the LBL forum and ask for help determining a petsitter dose. Depending on the situation, it may or may not mean a reduced dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.