? Tipsy amps 270, +2 259, +4 308, +6 295, +8 329, +10 329, PMPS 308

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tipsy, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Tipsy

Tipsy New Member

help please, what could be causing Tipsy’s higher numbers this past week? Could it be because I’m almost out of his Lantus with maybe only 5 or so units left in the vial or could it be that when he escaped the house the other day he found biscuits left out by a neighbour? I already know stress temporarily spikes his numbers. I need to get some more insulin from the vet tomorrow
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kxBhvLDt7Nvobsl8S7s2IGJdr4nwGwUdL5-6O9Kl9rM/edit

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Hi! Here's your previous post - we like to link to them for continuity - https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...tus-dosing-advice-needed.239806/#post-2696754

I'm in awe of you taking care of Tipsy and being legally blind...I'm over here magnifying things :p You're doing great - hang in there.

FWIW, it's unlikely the biscuits from a few days ago would still be impacting Tipsy's BG. Looks like in your previous condo, there were recommendations to get some tests in the evening cycle. Are you able to do that? I read that you have insomnia but even getting a "before bed test" (like a +2 or +3) would help give insight to the PM cycle. As @Wendy&Neko said her post to you many cats go lower at night.

And it always helped me personally to understand why everyone kept saying to get +2 and +3s (AM and PM cycle when possible):
    • If the +2 is about the same as the Pre-shot, usually they're going to have a fairly "normal" cycle...slowly dropping to nadir and then slowly heading back up until the next PS
    • If it's higher than the PS, that can indicate the beginning of a bounce and those are the cycles where you can usually get by without testing as much
    • If the +2 is lower than the PS, that's your "early warning"....those are the cycles where it's important to try to get more tests in (i.e. set an alarm for later in the cycle to test)...but if you can't, you might want to leave some higher carb food down for him
    As for the lantus, it should be good to the last drop if it's being stored in the fridge. There's a great sticky on insulin handling linked here. In summary, keep you vial/pen in the fridge at all times and it should last for months.

I'll also tag @Bron and Sheba (GA) in Australia too since they stopped by before.

Hope that helps some :bighug:

3. Tipsy

Tipsy New Member

thanks Susanne, that’s very helpful info. Some nights I can get a before bed test but others Tipsy hides. Wish my husband would help me test him!

JaxBenji likes this.