Titan gets to join the AcroCat list

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by MyTitan (GA), Aug 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyTitan (GA)

MyTitan (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello All, got Titan's IGF 1 number today and he "earned" a 255. ARGGG! well at least we know why his BG numbers wouldn't budge much with increases in insulin. I have read many of the posts and the stickys about Acro and feel comfortable moving forward. He's currently on 2.5 u 2x a day and planing on increases every six cycles, hopefully we won't have to go too high. Reading your threads and posts, I'm not happy about joining the club BUT glad to have found y'all and looking forward to contributing to the group. Peace, Titans Dad.

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Hi Titan's Dad (do you have a name you are willing to give?). Did you get the IAA (insulin auto antibody) test done too. Quite a few acros, like my girl, are positive for both. It can have an impact on how we do dosing. Sorry about the diagnosis, but as you said, now you know what you are dealing with. Knowledge is power.

It looks like your spreadsheet isn't up to date with today's readings. It's too bad you went down in dose a few weeks ago. I'm pretty sure he'll have to go higher than he was before. If nothing else, glucose toxicity will have set in. If you were willing and able to test more frequently, we could probably fast track Titan's dose, but as is, you need to get at least a preshot test every AM and PM plus some tests somewhere in the middle of the cycles, if you are going to go up every six cycles. Are you testing regularly for ketones? You should while he is in those high numbers.

For dosing advice, most of us still post to the Lantus/Levemir group. Which brings up one other topic. At some point, you may or may not find that Titan reacts to his shots. Lantus has an acid base, and at higher doses it can sting. Not all cats react, but some do. If that happens, you may want to consider a switch to Levemir insulin.

3. MyTitan (GA)

HI Wendy & Neko, Titans dad is Ed and mom is Paula, I also posted on the Acromegaly ISG, now bouncing between the two , need to learn how to "condo" the two. For a guy who worked with computers for 26 years I sure am ignorant of how they work! I was running out of test strips so was concentrating on the AMPS. New batch of strips arrived yesterday but I'm thinking of going back to the people meter until we get his numbers respectable, high on either meter is still high. I'll check with the vet on Monday to see if the IAA test was done, just learned about it. I can test frequently, can you explain fast track? Ketone tests are done regularly still negative. Thanks for your support and knowledge.

4. Susan G & Jimmy G

Susan G & Jimmy G Member

Hi Ed - Jimmy was also diagnosed with week with Acro (221). We are still waiting on IAA results. Seems to be a few of us lately with this new diagnosis...it helps knowing what he has but still it stinks! Hoping The best for Titan...will keep an eye out for your posts. Hang in there you're not alone.

5. MyTitan (GA)

HI Susan and Jimmy, I was just reading your thread on getting started on Novolin R . Buckets there us a lot to consider! Titans AmPs seems to be slowly coming down as he builds up depot and the dose increases. I'm hopeful we can regulate on Lantus only. Good luck to you and Jimmy :)

6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about Titan. I guess you are lucky that his insulin demand is still relatively low.

7. MyTitan (GA)

Well the insulin is low but his numbers are high. Increasing on a 6 cycle basis to see what his dosage will end up at.

8. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

You are even more conservative than I am. It would be 4 or 5 cycles for me. Those numbers are really high in the last week. Kudos to you for the continue care for Titan. Without it he would not be here.

We had a black kitteh with us until around 2003. I can't remember the year. She was a little rascal.

9. MyTitan (GA)

The thought process is starting to lean towards 4 cycles till we improve AMPS on 9/1 was 623

10. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Leo had those sky high numbers when he was first diagnosed. I know this is not a medical term, but he basically looked washed out. We felt so horrible, as many pet owners do. He made a lot a wails and meowing back then. Leo still has been challenging to regulate, even after the SRT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.