To shoot or not to shoot?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kira & Max, Feb 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

I'm having a head-scratching morning here. On 2/4, Max's post-shot bg tests were dipping low enough my husband and I decided not to give insulin that night. The next day, his #'s were all below 200, so we didn't shoot, fearing another reading of 40bg, where Max was acting mildly hypoglycemic. He has not had a shot since 2/4 pm, and the 3x a day bg tests showed him in the 150 range. The two vets at the clinic we use had different ideas on target numbers where Max should be, one said 80-300, one said 100-200. Since we've been in this range, we didn't shoot. Didn't test at all yesterday, gave the kitty a break. He's gained some weight back, but still drinking too much, so we decided that today we'd shoot a very small dose, Max seemed more active when his numbers were 80-120, so we decided that was our goal for him. This morning, pre-food, Max's bg was at 93.

I am not so good with the idea of shooting at 93. He's eating now. I've got all the info I have on his spreadsheet. Is his pancreas deciding to work again? Would you guys shoot a small, say .25, dose, to keep him below 120 all day? I wish my cat could talk today!

2. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

nope. i absolutely would NOT shoot a 93 on pzi of any kind. if he's eating, test him again in 30-60 minutes and see what his BG is. if it goes up substantially by 60 minutes , then i'd consider shooting

3. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Just tested about an hour after he's eaten and got a 91. Guess he's not getting his shot.

4. LynnLee + Mousie

yep, i'd hold off too at this point in time. look at it this way, those are great numbers and hopefully he stays there :smile:

5. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

I am so happy with his numbers, but man, nothing about diabetes is simple, is it? I wish the drinking and peeing were improving with the numbers. I am stumped.

6. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

I think it takes a little while for the body to heal and get the peeing/drinking under control again. I know that if a cat has neuropathy, it can take several months after regulation to heal. You are doing great and getting good numbers, so don't get discouraged. With these kinds of numbers, you'll probably be seeing more evidence of healing soon.

7. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Thanks, that's good to know. I thought the water consumption thing would show more immediate results. Thankfully, Max's back legs are just fine, so I don't have that to worry about, yet.

8. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

looks good! congrats!

9. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Woohoo Kira and Max! Keep up the good work. :)

10. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Max just tested at 83 for his pre-shot tonight, which will be a no-shot. This is just crazy, from 500+ at the vet's two weeks ago. I'm starting to get hopeful about remission now.

11. MicheleS

MicheleS Member

Soccer was 88 tonight. he was 493 2 weeks ago. wow!

12. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending you and Max some OTJ Fairy dust. Go, Max, Go! :RAHCAT

13. LynnLee + Mousie

fantastic news!

14. Kira & Max

Kira & Max Member

Yay for Soccer!

If I could tell every cat person to switch to healthy wet food, I so would. I've almost got my mother convinced to switch her three kitties.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.