Tresiba? Can it be used for the kittahs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Dec 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

I just saw a video on Tresiba- a new long acting insulin that seems to be an updated version of Lantus.
    It has 50 percent less chance of hypo and is much better at regulating the betes.
    But, is it used in cats?

Sam & Esse likes this.
  2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Only one person has used Tresiba. There is not a great deal known about its use with cats yet but Sam was extremely diligent and had success with it.
    Tresiba (degludec)

Sam & Esse likes this.
  3. Sam & Esse

Sam & Esse Member

Hello :)

I switched Sam to Tresiba after trying Prozinc (that he reacted badly to) and Levemir (that I couldn't get him regulated on). I love Tresiba, but I can only offer discussion about it instead of advice since I wasn't able to test Sam as often as I would have liked. I can say that the first two weeks on Tresiba, it was like I was shooting Sam with bactine-scented water for all the affect it seemed to have on his blood sugar. For that reason alone I would be very hesitant to recommend Tresiba to anyone whose cat has gone through DKA. That two week stretch was scary :eek: Once that hurdle was cleared Sam settled into beautiful regulation -- but I'm sure I was shooting numbers that had other members of FDMB worried because of my inability to monitor during his cycle.

Tresiba is degludec insulin. The other new-ish ultra-long that is glargine based (same as Lantus) is Toujeo. Although I believe there is at least one study currently underway trying Toujeo with cats, honestly I have no idea how they are dosing it. It's a u300. All I can figure is that they're dosing full units at a time with the pen needles :facepalm:

If you'd like to see Sam's switch from Lev to Tresiba, it happened in 2018 on his spreadsheet, May 13th. --And no one should follow my dosing strategy, that does not follow any of the methods approved by FDMB.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

You have been using Lantus for a little over 3 mos. In the grand scheme of things, that's about a minute. I would really encourage you to stop spinning in circles, take a few very deep breaths, and calm down.

Frankly, if you opt to use Tresiba, there is literally one experienced user. You will be on your own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.