Trying to Help Someone (1/29/23)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Summer and Susie (GA), Jan 29, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Summer and Susie (GA)

Summer and Susie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

It has been a long time since I have been on this site after losing my diabetic cat, Susie, to IBD/Lymphoma in October 2021. There is a man on a local "neighborhood" website that has 13 rescues. One has diabetes and he is using Vetsulin and spending a lot of money on it. Can someone/anyone tell me where he might buy Vetsulin at the cheapest price?

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Summer how are you doing?
    I did a search and it seems like the prices I am seeing are like 58 and 64 dollars
    Where is he getting it from is vet.
    Has he called some places like CVS, Walmart, Walgreen's, if he's in Florida maybe Publix ?
    Maybe he can switch to generic Lantus ( 5 pens) would probably be cheaper in the long run for him

Summer and Susie (GA) likes this.
  3. Summer and Susie (GA)

It is wonderful to hear from you, Diane! I have no idea where he is getting his Vetsulin. Since he is on my neighborhood website, I assume it is locally. We have CVS, Walmart, Walgreens and Publix locally. I suggested he switch to Lantus because the insulin is so much cheaper and I still have two boxes of U-100 syringes I was going to give him. I also offered several boxes of lancets and my Alpha Trac 2 meter but I have a feeling he is not home testing. Just says he is giving 8 units twice a day. He wanted my U-100 syringes for Vetsulin and I told him that was a really bad idea and I couldn't give them to him. I encouraged him to look into FDMB website but I don't know if he will. He has 13 rescues and I assume he is overwhelmed with one that is diabetic. Weren't we all when we heard from the vet "Your cat has diabetes"?

How are you, Diane? How is your daughter and your Tyler? I miss my friends on this site but still have painful memories about my Susie and the time I spent here - so I do not come back.

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Good to hear from you too. I guess all you could do is suggest to him to switch to Lantus like I said it would save him money in the long run.
    He must be overwhelmed with having 13 rescues.
    I'm doing ok, Ashley not good at all :( Tyler is still in remission ,it was 2 years on 1-24-23. I know what you mean about Susie, I feel the same way about losing Tyler's brother Perry who passed on 10-6-20 .I still miss him so.
    My dad who is 89 has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. I try to visit him at least 3 times a week, my sister and brother go up on different days.
    Sometimes he knows who we are and other times I don't think he does
    It's just heartbreaking. We have him in a really good place, it's 2 years now. They take excellent care of him, we make sure not that.
    I don't remember do you have any more kitties?

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

It looks like the going rate for Vetsulin is around $63.00 at Chewy's, Allivet, and Walmart. GoodRx will price out where it's available. I wouldn't be surprised that a vet is charging more that what he would pay elsewhere.

6. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'm so sorry to hear about Ashley. I remember her (and your) struggles with her pain and sensitivity. I had never heard of someone with her affliction and I hope I never do again. Very tragic. You also reminded me about your Dad. I can't imagine what Alzheimers does to someone and their families and friends. My Mom forgets but I think that is is just a natural progression of old age. She will be 92 in May. I am grateful that she doesn't show signs of Alzheimers or Parkinsons. You are a good daughter to visit your pop as often as you do. Even if he doesn't always remember you.

Yes, I got a kitty shortly after I lost Susie but I had to return him to the rescue. He was the most aggressive cat I have ever had and would turn and grab my arm and bite and scratch me in the middle of the night. I never understood it and it broke my heart to take him back to the rescue but this was just unacceptable to me. I have since found the most loving cat I have ever had. His name is Buzzy Bee and he makes me laugh and smile all the time. But, he also gets "in my face" when I am trying to do paperwork, or work on the computer and will swat my foxhound when he feels like it. But he sits in my lap, lets me hold him and sleeps against my legs every night. He is a "head butter" and shows his love everyday. He is a true blessing to me and was the last cat I looked at in my search when I was about to give up. I think, sometimes, that life throws challenges at you so you continue to persevere. To find what you are supposed to find. To save what you are supposed to save.

I can't say, again, how grateful I was/am for all you folks on this site. I would have never gotten through the diabetes with Susie without this site. I just wish I would have been one of those that had gotten into remission for years to come. This disease is the worst and I pray for a cure.

Thank you, Diane, for reaching out to me. Just seeing this page makes me sad for her but grateful to folks like you. I wish you, and Ashley, and your pop and your Tyler the very best.

7. Summer and Susie (GA)

Thanks, Sienne. He was looking for something under $75 so I will mention this to him. Good to know that we still have your expertise on this site. I wish you the best.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

I remember now you talking about the cat you had to take back because he was aggressive. My sister adopted a cat that started doing the same thing.
    One night her husband fell asleep in the couch and all of a sudden he screamed. The cat just attacked his arm and bit him.
    It got all red and swollen and he needed antibiotics.

The cat did it again to my sister. The vet had no idea why.
    So she had to put him down , god forbid someone else took her that had kids and got attacked.
    I'm so happy to hear you have Buzzy Bee, he sounds like a real sweetheart.
    Aww he butts your face. God bless your mom going to be 92!
    I wish you , your mom and your furbabies all the best too.
    I'll shoot you a message every now and then ok :bighug::bighug::bighug::cat:

9. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Summer, no advice to give, just waving 'Hi' from across the pond in UK.
    Big (((hugs))) to you. And thanks for trying to help this man with his insulin costs.

Eliz xxx

10. Summer and Susie (GA)

I'd love to hear from you from time to time. I have been remiss with staying in touch with many of my good friends on this site. I will try to do better. Sorry to hear about your sister's cat. It never made any sense to me that Boo would turn so aggressive for no reason. I told the rescue about the problems I was having. I'm not sure they believed me but I did contact them several weeks later to check on him and they said he had been adopted. I hope the people who took him were informed of his unusual behavior. I think the rescue thought it was my fault, or my dogs, that he was doing this. Anyway, take care and we will talk later. I'd like to know more about Ashley at some point.

11. Summer and Susie (GA)

Hi Elizabeth,
    Thanks for your greeting! I hope Bertie is still in remission. Hard to believe he was on insulin for 11 years and finally reached remission. I'm sure he finally made it because you were persistent in your care and your love. You are one lucky lady with a very pretty black cat. Take care and thanks, again, for the hugs.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  12. Elizabeth and Bertie

Hi Summer, thanks for your kind words. :bighug:
    Bertie passed a few years ago, aged 20, bless him (he'd been diabetic for 12 and a half years). A few months before he passed I adopted another diabetic, a tortie called Bonbon, and she's still with me. She has lots of health issues, but she's doing OK, sort of... :rolleyes: ....I can't bring myself to change my avatar pic though, so Bertie is still there 'in spirit', haha!
    xxx

13. Summer and Susie (GA)

I understand why you don't want to change the picture. He lived to a rip old age despite his medical problems. You are brave to have taken in another diabetic. We need more people like you. A lot of folks just put their cats down when they find out they are diabetic. Good luck with your girl, Elizabeth.

Elizabeth and Bertie likes this.
  14. Elizabeth and Bertie

Aw, thank you, dear Summer. ...And Bonbon says thanks too.... :kiss: xxx

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.