Trying to pick dry food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Wushu, Feb 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wushu

Wushu New Member

New here. I have one cat who was diagnosed as diabetic and we have switched him to wet food and insulin etc and I feel ok with his plan of care but I have 6 other cats that I want to switch to a better food. I can’t afford to feed them all wet food unfortunately.

What is the best low carb dry cat food ? I will try and give them some wet as well but the main diet will be dry at least for awhile.

I have been looking at:
    Crave grain free high protein
    Instinct original
    Wellness core

I have found some better ones for sure but the price is just too much for that many cats. Any suggestions / advice are welcome. Thanks so much .

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Which country do you live in?

3. Pookie (GA)

Pookie (GA) Member

I feed my 4 "civvies" (non-diabetics) Young Again Mature (less than 6% carb). I had Lola on the Mature Zero (0% carb) formula, but she didn't like it after a bit so she's back to Dr. Elsey's chicken (~5% carb). Dr. E also has a salmon formula dry that is a bit cheaper than the chicken and around 9% carb, IIRC.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

5. Wushu

Wushu New Member

Thanks! This might actually work ... I would probably keep my diabetic one on the fancy but the friskies looks like it might be doable for everyone else . I think a few of my cats wouldn’t even be quite a can a day (they are pretty tiny).

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Wushu

Wushu New Member

I’m in the us

7. Critter Mom

Aw, bless! :cat:

(((Kitties)))

Mogs

8. Wushu

Wushu New Member

Is 1 can a day pretty average for most cats ? Thanks!

9. Critter Mom

The amount of calories a cat needs each day depends on its weight. As a very rough guide, a 10lb cat would need somewhere between 180 and 220 kcals/day depending on its activity level but the actual caloric requirement varies from cat to cat. For example, my civvie, Lúnasa, has an ideal weight of c.10lb, is in her mid-teens and isn't very active and only needs about 170kcal/day to maintain.

Dr. Pierson provides this formula on the section of her website addressing weight management:

Required calories per day = [13.6 X optimal lean body weight in pounds] + 70

Per the above formula, a cat with an ideal weight of 10lb would need 206kcal/day. (Dr. Pierson does note on her site that she has set this formula to give a slightly generous estimate of caloric requirements. The link above is well worth reading through.)

Here's an excerpt from Dr. Pierson's food list which gives a guide to the kcals/5.50oz can for the different varieties:

upload_2021-2-13_23-21-48.png
    upload_2021-2-13_23-17-35.png
    upload_2021-2-13_23-19-11.png

Per the above chart, one 5.5oz can of Friskies roughly meets the daily energy requirements for an average cat.

Mogs

10. Wushu

Wushu New Member

Thank you so much for this it’s very helpful! Got some friskies and am slowly switching them over from the dry food (they much prefer the wet food already lol) any thoughts on 9 lives wet food? I know it’s a lot cheaper food but maybe if I used it occasionally with friskies to help with cost ? Thanks so much

11. Critter Mom

I'd suggest starting a new thread asking for input from members on their experiences of feeding 9 Lives foods.

Glad your furry charges are enjoying their wet grub. :cat:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.