Tuni's exams (I was finally able to add the files)

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Tuni, Jan 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuni

Tuni Member

Hello. I don’t have good news…We still have no diagnosis. On the last visit they did not have the reagent for fructosamine, so they only took a complete blood count, biochemical profile, sdma and 10 days ago I took a urine sample for cpu (creatinine protein ratio) that was normal and another sample for complete urinalysis (density 1015).
    His initial symptoms were: drinking 3 times his normal water intake, urinating more, licking genital area and having a kind of nausea (licks his lips).

For the last 3 days she has been eating little, I also notice a very slight and permanent tremor (almost imperceptible) in her head while she is lying awake or sleeping (perhaps when she walks or plays she is there too but it’s difficult to detect) and today when we woke up her stomach sounded very loud several times (it was heard from 1 meter away), it is important to mention that she had constant sounds such as bubbling in the abdomen for more than 3 years (it can only be heard when placing the ear very close to abdomen).
    I don't know what to do...Tuni is very shy and that causes her to get worse after each visit to the vet (she saw humans at 3 months old). Her blood pressure has reached 200 and heart beats very fast, but I don't know if is usual for her or it is the product of her stress.
    I would greatly appreciate any insight to get her diagnosis and her experiences dealing with my dear friend's symptoms. They could see alterations in t4, urinary density, lymphocytes, eosinophils, ALT. There is a comparison between the biochemistry from the end of the year 2022 and the exam from 3 days ago (different laboratories).

Pd.: Does anyone know what the asterisk means that the values of the white and red series have?
    Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
  2. chuckstables

chuckstables Member

Sorry; but does Tuni have a diagnosis of diabetes? Also; to upload photos you need to click on them on your desktop and drag them over to the post. Click, hold, drag. The upload file button is broken.

Tuni likes this.
  3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Tuni likes this.
  4. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

That is low and indicates kidney degradation.
    What were the results? was the SDMA within normal range?
    See the following for how to attach/include attachments:
    See this message

Tuni likes this.
  5. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

Hi, when you say T4 alterations, what do you mean, is it higher than the normal range ? lower? Did they made a TSH test? And this blood test results are from a vet's lab or human lab?

For what you are telling it seems Tuni is not feeling well but her symptoms fit a lot of possible diagnosis , for example it could be an UTI (urinary tract infection ) that should be treated with antibiotics the urianalisis will help to know if it is UTI

As Larry mentioned the density is low which could mean she has some problem with her kidneys, but if she has UTI this could be altered, what was the SDMA result ? What is her creatinine level? Her phosphorus level? Chronic kidney desease is not a terrible as in death risk problem but it will require treatment from here on

Regarding the possibility of diabetes what was her glucose result in the blood tests?

Actually there are a lot of illnesses she could have so you need to work with the vet to get a diagnose so that you can start treating her

Regardless do keep in mind that she needs to eat, she should not stay for a long period of time without food so make sure she eats at least a bit every few hours and keeps drinking water, if she stops you should see the vet

Tuni and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  6. Tuni

Tuni Member

I don't know. There is no diagnosis yet. Unfortunately they still haven't made an appointment for me to perform fructosamine and T4, but if the biochemical tests are observed, only the first result the glucose is slightly elevated, in the second it is normal. Could the values appear lower due to hyperthyroidism? Thanks.

7. Tuni

Tuni Member

In the first test the glucose values were 117 mg/dl (december 29) in the second 103 mg/dl (January 20).
    Its not yet diagnosed, because the fructosamine test is needed.
    Urine ketones were not found in urine analysis.
    Tuni 2 days ago he vomited a big ball of hair and yesterday he vomited for 10 minutes (many times), here he vomited mainly a kind of brown liquid. Please look at the Tuni exams I was able to add. Thanks.

8. Tuni

Tuni Member

Sdma was normal. Please look Tuni’s exams (I was able to upload yesterday). Thanks,

9. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I can tag Suzanne and see if she can take a look at the labs
    @Suzanne & Darcy

Tuni likes this.
  10. Larry and Kitties

The T4 is high. Did the vet say anything about that? A high T4 can cause high blood pressure and increased urination and thirst.

Tuni and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  11. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

The thyroid number looks "off the charts" really high... have they given you medication for this. Methimazole or Felimazole? This is urgent. A high thyroid like that needs to be addressed at once.

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Looking over those labs, and it's not easy since some are not in English, most of them don't look bad except the thyroid. That looks like your number one problem at this point. I would discuss with the vets immediately and get medication.

13. Tuni

Tuni Member

He said repeat t4 and I asked him to take fructosamine (another vet thinks there is also diabetes). The exams will be done next week...So I still wating.

14. Tuni

Tuni Member

Thanks. Yesterday I was able to upload the exam files, please look at them. The first glucose of the biochemistry was slightly increased (december 29)and the second (3 weeks later) was normal. They also have a low urine gravity (1015), slightly decreased lymphocytes and increased eusinophils, slightly increased ALT, and increased T4 (8.4 mg/dL). Everything else normal, including SDMA, UPC urine, urinalysis. Abdominal ultrasound 3 weeks ago was consistent with chronic pancreatitis and cholecystitis.
    Tuni is eating (a little less than before) thanks God. But a new symptom appeared, 2 days ago she vomited a ball of hair and yesterday she vomited many times in 10 minutes (brown liquid), I had never seen her like this, it was very worrying. Today I tried to contact her vet but she didn't respond. The 2 days vomiting has made him lose 70 grams.:(

15. Suzanne & Darcy

I wish that you could get some Cerenia to stop the vomiting. It is helpful for pancreatitis.

Tuni likes this.
  16. Veronica & Babu-chiri

I've been looking to her labs and in general they look ok, her kidney values look still with in normal values, I couldn't find the SDMA result but given her labs that is not a main concern right now, with a glucose of 117 at the vet it does not point to diabetes.

What you do need to address URGENTLY is her thyroid because her T4 is really really high and it can be very dangerous, you need to start treatment as soon as posible, you need to talk to the vet

She needs metimazole, here it is sold as Tapazol ( tiamazol is the active med which is the same as metimazole ) so probably that's how you are going to find it, it is a human medicine so you will need to adjust the dose but is ok to give it to them, it is given every 12 hours

Suzanne & Darcy and Tuni like this.
  17. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Cernia as mentioned could be good but is not easily available if you can get it it would be good but if not you could give omeprazole (Lozec) or if you could get slippery elm bark that is very effective too

Tuni likes this.
  18. Tuni

Tuni Member

Thank. SDMA was normal and about kidneys my concern is low urine gravity (1015) I wonder if that alone is an indicator of something... No vomiting today and just a little rumbling... I hope to get results of exams and a diagnosis on wednesday. Tomorrow will be a difficult day for Tuni, she really is very fearful and comes with new signs after each visit to the vet. I will update on his status.

19. Larry and Kitties

Hyperthyroidism cause increased thirst and urination and this will lower urine specific gravity.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.