Twitching

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by NatashaL, Apr 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NatashaL

NatashaL Member

I just started my cat Ron on prozinc 2 units. He is 13 pounds (he used to be 15) and his BG level was 438 two days ago, when he was diagnosed (actually it's been a day and a half). He seems to responding well, but this morning he came to sit on me before I fed him and he was twitching slightly. I then fed him and gave him his shot. He seems fine now and that was 5 hours ago. I'm worried that the shot is too much for him. I called the vet and she said to go down to 1 unit. What do you all think about that? I'm supposed to get my testing kit today and it can't come soon enough! Thank you all so much.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

Good morning Natasha. I am not a Prozinc user but it seems sensible to follow vet's suggestion to reduce the dose to 1 Unit 2X a day. I have read through the Prozinc Beginner's Guide at the top of that forum, and that's a usual starting dose. So, this seems like good advice this time. Much less of a chance of having a too low blood sugar event (hypoglycemia).

I would like to suggest that you revisit the Home page and read the Getting Started and Education sections on the right side of that page. It's excellent basic beginner information and would help you build a good foundation learning about feline diabetes.
    There is valuable information on hypoglycemia that every diabetic pet parent needs to know, just in case.

Please create a signature so that Ron's information is available with each of your posts.
    1. Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished. This information can be edited if information changes.
    2. Another thing that will help us help you when you get started BG testing at home is to set up a spreadsheet like the one we use here. You will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his/her progress before offering suggestions or advice:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    The spreadsheet is linked to the signature so that the information is readily available.

I'm glad the testing kit is coming today, you are doing the best thing for Ron with home testing. :cat:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.