U 100 31 G syringe availability in UK

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Arathi & Yuki, May 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

Hi ,
    My cat Yuki was diagnosed last week, and has been recommended caninsulin. we are struggling with giving her the insulin shots. I have looked up some tips on here. one of them says to use the U100 31 gauge syringe. I could not really find the 31 gauge ones online.
    Is there anyone here from the UK who is using the 31 gauge needles? where can we buy them?
    this forum has already given us so many useful guidelines .....
    thanks !

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi,
    Most people who use U100 syringes in the UK use the BD 0.3ml syringes with half unit markings. These are 30G so a bit finer than the U4o syringes which are 28G or 29G.
    They're quite widely available (because they're made for human insulin), but I usually get mine from VetUK (unless I suddenly spot a bargain elsewhere!)
    https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...-0-3ml-u100-insulin-syringes-box-of-100-p-296

However, because U100 syringes are for U100 insulin these must be used with a conversion chart so that you can be sure you are giving the right dose when using U40 insulin. (U40 insulin has 40 units active insulin per ml, U100 insulin has 100 units active insulin per ml.)
    So, for example, one unit of Caninsulin will look like 2.5 units in a U100 syringe.
    Here's the link to the conversion chart:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/insulin-conversions.htm

If you wish I can send you some of my U100's so you can see what they're like?
    If you'd like me to do that just PM me your name and address, and I should be able to get them in the post to you tomorrow.

Eliz

3. Arathi & Yuki

Arathi & Yuki Member

Thank you so much! I will check with local Boots to see if they carry it; if not I'll take up your kind offer. I am hoping the finer needle will be better. Right now she is so jumpy, as soon as I form the tent she knows something is up and is ready to bolt.
    Arathi

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Okey dokey, Arathi.
    The 0.3ml U100's feel much smaller and more delicate than the U40 syringes, and I certainly did find those much easier to use. The U40's soon seemed quite cumbersome by comparison (in my humble view).

I really struggled with shots at first. I hated syringes, and was so scared of hurting my cat (which I did on a number of occasions initially :oops:). And my stomach turned over at the mere thought of giving a shot! But it is amazing how quickly we learn, and how forgiving our puss cats are, haha! Once we get the hang of shots they very soon forget any of those earlier efforts that may not have gone so well. Honestly!

Are you giving Yuki her shot while she's eating? I think a lot of us do that. The distraction works well. ;)

Although most people seem to use the 'tent' technique (and it is a good technique) I actually found it easier to use a slightly different technique. I grab and pull up some skin between the fingers and thumb of my non-dominant hand, and then give the shot almost directly downwards into the skin that I'm holding. Because the depth of skin that I'm holding is greater than the length of the syringe needle, there seems to be far less chance of accidentally jabbing the cat's flesh below.

You will find a technique that works for you and Yuki. You'll be a pro at this in no time at all.
    Be kind and patient with yourself. Relax... Breathe.....

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.