U100 needles

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sue and Oliver (GA), Feb 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Who has a picture of their U100 needle label or an exact description for the pharmacist for Nadja? She is having the same problem that many of you did getting the right ones.

I am so old I only used U40s.

2. sophie

sophie Member

Hello,
    My ReliOn needles (with the short needle and half unit markings) have the following information on the carton:

ReliOn
    Insulin Syringes
    100 Sterile Single Use Syringes in 10 Packs
    CAPACITY 3/10mL cc Doses up to 30 units
    GAUGE 31
    LENGTH 8 mm (5/16")
    SHORT NEEDLE

and the following code is written at the right hand top of the carton: 81131-0311-78

We had to ask the pharmacist for them but she didn't know if the needles had half unit markings, even after looking at them! They do. My local Walmart (California) had only one box so they might be a newer item in their stores.

Sophie

3. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

thank you this was very helpful!
    I had written the capacity in a paper but the girl didn't know what it was and I didn't know it either. Now I will be firmer on those people.

thank you!

4. arozeboom

arozeboom Well-Known Member

The ones I've been using are Walgreens brand. I can't find the info on them online but I can post it in a couple of hours.

5. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

So I've attached pictures of three types of needles:

The photo of the single needle shows the 1/2 unit marks. They are the U100 Relion 3/10mL (doses up to 30 units) Gauge 31, length 8 mm. This came from Walmart, in a white box, and the needle has the orange cap (U100) and the orange cover on the plunger.

The view of three needles shows the following (from top downward)

TOP: My U40 needle (note the larger barrel and RED cap - for U40s). This is an Ulticare I got from the vet and it was labeled as "high dose". Kinda hard to eyeball .2 units on this big fella!

MIDDLE: The orange cap/white cover is a BD 3/10 U100.

BOTTOM: The orange cap/orange cover is the Relion outlined above in the picture by itself.

Hopefully this clears up the differences in some needles. Just remember, if you are mini-dosing and convert to the U100 needles [PZI folks - this is for you - and maybe others] - YOU MUST USE THE CONVERSION CHART! If you don't have any idea what I'm talking about, don't change needles until you find the chart!

Lu-Ann

Attached Files:

6. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

If the boxes are not sealed shut, ask to see the syringe to make sure they have the hash marks for 1/2 units. :D

7. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

thank you everyone! I think this time I got it right! Walgreens wanted a prescription :-x then I went to walmart. Here is the picture of what I got:

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      369.8 KB
      Views:
  8. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

now I have to figure out conversions :] fun!!!

9. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

I also got the conversion thing figured out :] things make sense now that I have the correct syringes. sweet!

10. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

I don't know if my next picture is clear but according to a picture on this link viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18139
    0.25u is on the second little bar on the u100 needle is this right?

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      405.3 KB
      Views:
  11. arozeboom

My understanding is that the marks on the top side in this picture are the 1 unit marks. So if you count from the first line behind the orange cap, you count 5 marks (the blue numbers).
    If you count on the bottom side, those are .5 units (the green numbers)?

[​IMG]
    U100 markings by amaryllisroze, on Flickr

12. Okay,
    The formula is the U40 dose x 2.5, right?
    You will find that increments like .2 or .4 convert the easiest.
    .2 U40 = .5 U100. .4 U40 converts to 1.0 on U100.

.25 really doesn't line up well on the U100.

On the syringe itself, the marks on the right hand side of the center are "whole units, and the marks to the left hand side are half units. So the first short line, to the left would be .5, (or .2 U40) and the first line to the right is 1.0, (or .4 U40)
    Does that help, or have I confused you more?

Carl

13. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

Thanks Carl!
    so since I need 0.25U it will be between the first line on the left and the first line on the right?
    because is the first line on the left is 0.5 (.2 u40) I need just a little bit more to make it 0.25 or am I wrong? :-|

14. hmjohnston

hmjohnston Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Nadja but when I get mine you can help me out :mrgreen: .

I'm glad you found the correct ones.

15. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

Arozeboom thank you for tha visual aid :D I promise I"m not too dumb :cry:
    so looking at the green number the first short hash is 0.5 so if I want to give him 0.25u it will be on the that first black hash that doesn't have any green number on? it doesn't look like it can fit any liquid in there :/

16. arozeboom

I don't think you're dumb!The micro dosing is NOT easy for me either. I do better when I have a visual to look at. I'm still really new at this whole thing too.
    According to the conversion chart, .2 in a U40 syringe is the same as .5 in a u100 syringe. Does that help?
    I can't help with anything smaller than that. My eyes aren't that good.

17. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

I finally got it now :D thank you so much!!!!

18. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Wow! Great visual aids!

19. Yes, this is right...just beyond the first mark on the left would be .25 u40.
    carl

20. NadjaAndSam

NadjaAndSam Member

sweet finally got it. thank you!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.