UK Users-particularly of PROZINC

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by kate and lucky, Jul 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi all,

I've been trying to help a UK newbie having problems with Caninsulin and what sounds like an inflexible vet.

Can any of you offer help/thoughts on:
    Getting Prozinc (vet has refused Lev and Lantus)
    u100 Syringes
    Keto diastix (have found them on Ebay fairly cheap-anywhere else?)

She is in Yorkshire.
    Could you post in this thread:
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=20102

Thanks

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

I don't think Prozinc is sold outside of the US yet, even though it is FDA approved here (the only one that is for cats, I believe). It was only put on the US market in Late November 2009.

I called them a few months ago, asking if it was available in Canada and they said no.

The website is prozinc.us
    so maybe you could get a contact number and find out if it could be exported.

I'm sure the online pharmacies would be able to help give you information. (I'm afraid they may say they can't ship Prozinc outside the US)

It's less stable, but have you considered other PZI insulin? BCI PZI is a compounding Pharmacy in Texas that might be able to help you, google search the website/contact info

3. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Thanks Nancy.

You can get Prozinc in the UK, my close friend used it almost as soon as it came out and we have had a few UK newbies show up in health on it. I was hoping they were posting in this isg. Some seemed more reluctant to post regularly or listen to advice over vets. Not a lot you can do about that.

I'll continue to try and get hold of my friend, it would just be good to have others to chime in.

Are there any Canadian/USA users of it posting here? Just if they do persuade vet to prescribe it. I can't give advice on it as I haven't used it.

4. Rob & Harley (GA)

Rob & Harley (GA) Well-Known Member

There are a handful of us in the US using it. I started it a few weeks ago. Joanna & Bix, Angela & Blackie, Laurie & Mr Tinkles I know also use it.

5. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

We're actually on PZI Vet, but from what I can tell they are very similar. I would definitely encourage any vet to prescribe it over Caninsulin, having used both and gotten better results from PZI.

6. Nancy and Cody

That is great to know that it is available in the UK! I wonder why not Canada- or maybe I was mis-informed.

I used it over 5 months and liked it, but since Cody is an acromegalic cat I decided to try levemir recently, which is what most of the other acro moms use. Yes, there are folks that can advise on Prozinc. Its much less traffic than on the L's so folks are less likely to get lost, in my own personal experience. There are more than a handful, but folks come and go for lots of reasons and summer seems slower.

Prozinc is very durable- basically good to the end if stored properly (freezing/light exposure) There are a number of kitties that have gone OTJ, and some that have left for the L's, and some that still use it. For us, onset was 2 hours, fairly gentle action, nadir +4 to +8, duration about 10 hours.

For us- prozinc provided decent numbers for 16 of 24 hrs. lev is actually about the same 16 of 24, but with longer duration, and a much slower onset, so on both, Cody is missing good coverage about 4 hrs /cycle, just different hours. Still working on a dose, but FD kitties can keep you guessing

The website has vet info, and research, which may make it more interesting to vets. www. prozinc.us

Send your friend over- she'll get good help

7. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Thanks guys.
    She has yet to persuade vet as latest muse by vet is to try another short acting and I fear that means Humulin (even worse!)

I thought Prozinc was a longer acting insulin? and thus would last 12 hours?

I'll let her know about the site.

Thanks again :mrgreen:

8. Nancy and Cody

For us, Prozinc onset was 2 hours, fairly gentle action, nadir +4 to +8, duration about 10 hours. So it provided Cody help from +2 through +10

Lev doesn't kick in after injection for 3-4 hours, but then it lasts until about +11-12 hours. So it provides Cody coverage from +4 to about +11 or 12.

Both are pretty gentle without the steep freefall seen in vetsulin.

Take your pick, so far, neither one is perfect for us, but we are still increasing doses trying to improve things, so the jury is still out. I think I prefer the Lev.

Can the UK vet access VIN (veterinary information network)? There is an experienced VIN consultant named Alice Wolf DVM that my vet respected, who supports lev in cats, so I eventually got a Rx. maybe this info could be useful.

9. stephanie and pheobe

stephanie and pheobe New Member

Hi guys
    I may be a bit too late to this post but hope this helps.

You should be able to get PZI from the vet otherwise you can get online (although you would need a prescription from your vet) from most of the medical pet websites

Here's a couple but there are quite a few more

1. Vio vet - viovet are quite good as you can get syringes from them as well - the half unit ones are best;
    http://www.viovet.co.uk/p1968/BD_Microf ... _info.html

PZI:
    http://www.viovet.co.uk/Prescription_Dr ... _info.html

there's also
    http://www.petmeds.co.uk/p-3462-insuvet ... -10ml.aspx

found these as well although have never used

https://www.myonlinevet.co.uk/Insuvet-P ... lAod3SbWYw

Re: Ketostix - you can but them from most chemists - I think they are about £10 although I can't quite remember

Ebay is the best for test strips

Chemist again for lancets (around £6 for 10)

Hope this helps!

Steph
    x

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.