? Uncontrolled Numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by April and Smokey, Jan 9, 2021.

1. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Hi all!

My boy is diabetic and has CKD. His sugars are totally crazy right now. He goes from 100 to 350 in hours and IDK why. I'm wondering if the sugars become uncontrolled at the end??

No... My spreadsheet is not up to date. I've been keeping notes the last week on paper.

TIA
    April

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

not sure anyone can help with dosing without seeing numbers. It would help to fill in the last couple weeks. Are you still feeding fancy feast? That isn't really a good food for cats with CKD.... it's way high in phosphorous. My cat is CKD and diabetic too... it's rough. Has he had a checkup lately? Maybe there's a dental problem or uti.

April and Smokey likes this.
  3. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

4. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

I will put together the SS as best I can and let you guys know.

I've thought for him bouncing but that doesn't seem to be it either.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Neko had CKD, heart disease, small cell lymphoma as well as diabetes from acromegaly - her numbers weren't what I would call crazy at the end. I did have to monitor closely as her appetite was unpredictable.

How well is Smokey eating? Still eating the same food? Looking forward to the spreadsheet updates. You can just add a 2021 tab and the data for this year.

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  6. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Okay - I have updated Smokey's SS.

7. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

He is eating his same food - except where he hit 504 last night - he'd gotten into some kitten food! That was for my neighbor!!
    On 1/8 and 1/9 - he had some KD food.
    We are starting to get to a point where he isn't eating that well. He's very picky. But he is starting to vomit more as well - I am guessing from the CKD. But at times he will want to eat and eat and eat.

8. Wendy&Neko

All I see is 2020 data. Usually we start a new tab for the new year. Here are the instructions on starting a new year.

9. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Thank you! I am so sorry it wasn't visible. I have moved the tab to the beginning of the spreadsheet. Please try again - and let me know. Thank you so much!

10. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

It's still only showing 2020 - I think you must only be publishing one tab to the web - do you know how to check those settings? On you google sheet, go to File > Publish to the Web. The easiest thing to do is pick "Entire Document" and then hit publish. Hope that helps.

11. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Thank you so much for all of your help!!
    This link is for the 2021 tab.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...tUpA/pub?gid=609191497&single=true&output=csv

12. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

JaxBenji likes this.
  13. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

This worked (and the link in your signature worked too :)). I can't advise to dosing though I'm sure @Wendy&Neko will stop by again when she can. With that said, are you able to get any additional tests each cycle? A +2 or +3 is super valuable -
    • If the +2 is about the same as the Pre-shot, usually kitty is going to have a fairly "normal" cycle...slowly dropping to nadir and then slowly heading back up until the next PS
    • If it's higher than the PS, that can indicate the beginning of a bounce and those are the cycles where you can usually get by without testing as much
    • If the +2 is lower than the PS, that's your "early warning"....those are the cycles where it's important to try to get more tests in...but if you can't, you might want to leave some higher carb food down for him

14. Wendy&Neko

Yes, I can now see the spreadsheet. Any chance of you getting tests after PMPS? Many cats go lower at night. I wouldn't be changing the dose so quickly without knowing how low the dose is taking Smokey. It's entirely possible lows are happening mid cycle and all you are seeing is bouncing. Our dosing decisions are made on nadirs, not preshot values. That 504 you saw last night has me asking, "when did Smokey go so low to cause that bounce"?

Have you been giving extra doses of Lantus in the mid cycle? Just wondering if that's what I see on the PM cycles of the 5th and 6th. I would strongly recommend not doing that. Lantus isn't good at dragging down higher numbers. Best to safely get to a good dose with every 12 hour dosing.

15. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Thank you!! Smokey did get an extra dose on the 5th and 6th - as I have a bottle of new Lantus and an older bottle. I wasn't sure if the older bottle was still good or not - though it should have been. So he did get the extra doses then. But as a rule, I don't give him extra.

16. Wendy&Neko

Glad to hear you won't be doing those extra doses now. It makes dosing too complicated with two nadirs to deal with too.

17. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Okay... today Smokey was 153 - He hasn't been this low in a very long time. So I gave him 0.5 unit. I know it should have been 1 - but I am not home to check him again - and I am paranoid that he will go too low. Thoughts anyone? Thank you!!

18. Wendy&Neko

Without a view as to what is happening at night, I can't comment on what dose you should be giving. With him in the blues this AM, it would have been a really good idea to get a test last night to see if he was even lower overnight. Since you are away for the day, doing a half dose should keep him safe. I hope you left food out too.

19. April and Smokey

April and Smokey Member

Yes. I left food out, but it's Young Again Mature. However, he also was with another lady that lives here who fed him FF Turkey pate at lunch. Tonight he's 165. Should 8 do another half dose tonight? And when should I check him again tonight?