? UPDATE +5 = 213, +2 = 274, Went up??? PMPS = 258 Going to be monitoring again.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mile Hi Dave, Oct 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

Like I said last night, it's so hard eyeballing a dose so small and not marked on the barrel. I think I might have shorted him a bit last night. Gave him his regular .75 this AM. His +3 is better @324, We'll see what +6 brings

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I hear using calipers works very well for small dosing.

Mile Hi Dave likes this.
  3. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

that's the advice I got, along with a link to a sticky about using them. TYVM!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope they work for you. I havent a clue how they work.:oops:

5. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2020
  6. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

Still gave him his regular .75. Think I will have to monitor closely. :nailbiting:

7. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

Soooo odd, he went up to 274 at +2 from his PMPS of 258, I know I gave him .75 or as close to it as possible for me with my glasses on. Has this happened to anyone else?

8. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

+5 Update 213, came down, I think bedtime is fine for me tonight. Have a good nite all

9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Meter reading variance allows for a +/- 20% difference between BG test result and 'actual' BG level, so that's one factor to consider. Looking at the two readings you mention, BG at the times when both readings were taken was pretty much in the same ballpark.

Also at +2 there may still be the remnants of a food rise from the preshot feed. While typically the time to onset for Lantus is approximately 2 hours, it may occur a little earlier or later depending on the cat (some metabolise insulin faster than others). This is the reason why tests earlier in the cycle are so valuable: they help you to learn where onset for your cat is more likely to occur. Also tests around the +2 mark can often give an indication of how the rest of the cycle might progress. If the +2 is close to or lower than the PS reading then the cycle may be more 'active' and the cat may require closer monitoring in the following hours.

Mogs

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  10. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

PS: Another thing that can lead to a rise in numbers after preshot is a bounce.

Mogs

11. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

How's it going today, Dave?

Mile Hi Dave likes this.
  12. Mile Hi Dave

Mile Hi Dave Guest

He was fine all night and his AMPS was 362, so we're all good.
    He's doing fine, AMPS was 362 and I'm giving his ears a break today. Gonna get his PMPS and, unless something unexpected comes up, gonna leave him alone to snooze all day. Will do more frequent tests again starting tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.