Update on Biscuits and starting Vitamin B-12

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karen & Biscuits, Oct 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karen & Biscuits

Karen & Biscuits Member

Hi Everyone! It's been a little while again since I've been able to update you on Biscuits. Not a lot has changed, except the vet increased her insulin dosage to 6 units twice a day. Not helping much though. I've gotten her glucose down to 250-300 range at the 6 hour peak but nothing lower than that except one time, and I have no idea why it went lower that time and not consistently. I have her back on Weruva Cats in the Kitchen canned food, but I'm not seeing any change in her glucose levels with that either. She's only get 1/3 out of two 3oz cans. I divide them up with her brothers, so they all get an equal portion and her levels are still high. I give her Fancy Feast and they stay high. She's only getting Fancy Feast classic pates or the beef/poultry etc. None of the creamy or gravy styles. I got a bottle of Nutricost Vitamin B-12 capsules today from a faithful member of my facebook page who has a soft spot for Biscuits. What an awesome thing to do! I wasn't expecting that. However, I have no clue how much is safe to give her. Is it safe for her to take with her dose of gabapentin? Since they are capsules I assume I'll have to sprinkle the contents on her food?
    Her neuropathy is not worse, thankfully, but not better either. I am hoping the B-12 will help with that. Can anyone give me tips on how much and how often to give it to her? On the bottle it says Methylcobalamin, 2000 MCG, 240 capsules. The human recommended dose is one capsule daily, but I imagine it's a lot less than that for a cat. What do you give your cats who are using Vitamin B-12? How long was it before you saw that it was or was not working? Also, even though her brother Skittles is not showing signs of neuropathy, do you think it's good to give him some B-12 too as a preventative or does that not work? He has been a fairly easy diabetic cat to deal with, and responds well to the Vetsulin. He has never had issues with neuropathy at all. His biggest issue is mats in his fur. I call them his ping pong balls because no matter how many I take off, he gets new ones a few days later. Just wondering if B-12 works with their skin and coat too? I am kinda naive about this stuff, so I need your input please.
    I hope all of your own kitties are doing well right now. Wishing you all a blessed week! :cat:

2. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

Hi
    If you do a quick search on this board, you will find a few posts on dosing B12 Methyl. It has also been posted that a cat's system eliminates what it cannot use so no chance of overdosing.
    I use it and empty one 5000 mcg capsule into a little gravy. The powder is tasteless. My cat's neuropathy is 90% improved, but I believe that is due to Lantus insulin. It is longer lasting in the system and has a reputation for getting many cats into remission (My first sugar cat Missy went into remission in about 6 weeks on Lantus but she was diagnosed early). My opinion is that B12 is fine with Gaba. Why is Biscuits on that?
    I do feel that her BG numbers could improve by eliminating the Hills RX Diet MD dry. Might be high in carbs. Is it?? Have you eliminated that? Someone here would be happy to do your SS for you. Just ask.
    Hugs,

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

https://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-v...-b-12-methylcobalamin-5000-mcg-100-capsules-6

This is what I have given Tyler for neuropathy
    Give one a day, empty it into the wet food and add water
    It's tasteless

Once you get biscuits BG regulated the Methyl B-12 should help
    You can start it anyway. I read you have 2 diabetic cats Biscuits and Skittles
    You don't have a spreadsheet set up yet so we can see how the insulinn is working for both of them.

I will ask @Bandit's Mom Bhooma to help you with it
    She can set it up for both of them

She will most likely private message you, look for it in your inbox
    Would you like her to set it up for you?

Are you home testing? Can you add what meter you are usingto your signature
    In your first post you also said
    Skittles was also in keto acidosis.
    Can you add that to your signature also
    What are you feeding both cats now?
    @feralcatmama

Your first post
    https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/new-member-2-diabetic-kitties-help.247366/

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    Ann & Sister likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.