Update on Yoda

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Kelly & Oscar, Jun 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly & Oscar

Kelly & Oscar Well-Known Member

Yoda is doing well and has finally settled in to our routine. He sleeps with us for a bit every night and gives me an ear full when ever he thinks he needs to be fed! He is still gaining weight - up to 11lbs 6.5oz today. I can tell it is more than water weight because his hind end seems less boney. I saw him cleaning his fur today and it is much less oily than it was when we first got him. I am getting him to play longer and longer each day. He loves the little mouse on a string. Takes it in his mouth and wants to walk off with it - too cute!

Right now he is on an iron supplement BID to see if that will help his anemia, clindomyacin BID for his mouth, and tripe/acidophilus as digestive aids to help him process the food he is eating and to counteract the runny poos from the antibiotic. His ketones are slowly going down, and we are still giving 50ml of fluids every other day - sometimes every third day depending on how he is doing.

His right lymph node under his jaw is still swollen and his back teeth gums are still red and inflamed. The front ones look a little less angry though.

And now for the pics. They speak for themselves in regard to how far he has come in only a week and a half. You can see our intro thread for pics of what he looked like the night I picked him up: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=17053

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

awww what great pics - love the button up one the best.

You are doing such a great job with him!

3. FurballLover

FurballLover Member

Kelly,
    Wow--he's looking so much better! Good for you and the wonderful job you are doing bringing this sweet guy back to health. I know he's not completely better, but you have already come a long way!

dancing_cat dancing_cat dancing_cat

4. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

It seems like the bottle of Methylcobalamin B12 says "supports red blood cell health" . I wonder if that could help his anemia. I vaquely remember it is a precursor needed for RBC production, and is lacking in one type of anemia (pernicious anemia). This is from foggy brain cells - but maybe someone else knows the science better.

5. Laurie and Mr Tinkles

Laurie and Mr Tinkles Well-Known Member

Kelly, he looks amazing! What a big difference! I can't help with the medical stuff, I have zero experience with ketones, anemia, etc. in cats. I do know that B12 helps with certain types of anemia in people, but I don't have any detailed knowledge to share. You are doing an awesome job with him!

It's a really good thing you don't live near me, I would sorely tempted to adopt Yoda! He is so cute!! ;-)

6. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

DCIN does transport long-distance!!

7. Kelly & Oscar

Thanks for the comments guys! :mrgreen: I still can't believe how much better he has gotten in less than 2 weeks!

I am sure we will find a home for him when the time is right. Those crystal blue eyes of his are almost like looking into a human's eyes - definitely portals to his little kitty soul!

8. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Awww, he is getting so handsome!!! Watch out lady-cats ;) Kelly it is so awesome the progress you are making. What a lucky cat he is!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

9. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

Kel - he's beautiful!! He looks **SO** much better. {{Hugs to all 3 of you}}

10. Gator & H (GA)

Gator & H (GA) Well-Known Member

Yodas is looking great! What a happy story.

I was doing B12 injections at the end with H. I investigated getting injectable B12 (Cyanocobalamin) from a Costco in SoCal and they were able to order it in. I'm pretty sure it was less than $30 [probably much less] for some amount that was more than 5 cats would ever need. It should absolutely be kept out of the light [fridge makes a good spot]. For some reason our inj. B12 did not get packed with the rest of the goodies for Indy :sad: .

11. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

Be very careful what you say on this board Laurie! :eek:

Or you just may find an unexpected delivery awaiting you on your doorstep!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

right Venita?! :D

12. Carol & Yoshi

Carol & Yoshi Well-Known Member

Wow! Yoda is really coming along and looking soooo much better. It's a joy to see his progress under your kind and loving hand Kelly. What a sweet face and beautiful eyes.

13. Kelly & Oscar

Thank you everyone :D

Once Yoda's clindomyacin has run its course, I'll see what size his lymph node under his jaw is and assess from there. I might be taking him back in at that point for another abx prescription. So far his gums/lips do look a little pinker and I think the node has decreased in size *fingers crossed*

We will be receiving a shipment of Lantus from a donation tomorrow hopefully, and he will switch over tomorrow evening. His ketones are almost gone! (celebration party to be expected once they reach 0!) Of course, Oscar will still be on ProZinc cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.