Vet suggestions... I need your opinion

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Poopers and Catia, Oct 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Hi everyone,

I have decided to take Poopers to a new vet because our old one only cared about how much we were spending at his clinic... We did a curve test for the new vet so they could get an idea of his levels. We gave them all of Poopers information how he's on Fancy Feast Pate and how at the time he was at 1U (we have now increased to 1.25U.

The vet called today to suggest somethings. She said that we need to switch Poopers to a diabetic food because it's better for him... Poopers used to be on diabetic food but i was told by a member here that the carbs are very high and the FF Pate is much better. They also said that we can't switch his insulin units without a vet's permission... I read the other day the TR or SLGS and i noticed that if his levels are still pretty high after 3 days of the new units to increase by .25 i was suggested to do that and to do more tests throughout the day which i've been trying.
    Should we listen to the vet? What is your opinion?

2. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

My vet and I butted heads initially but quickly got to an understanding. I basically laid down the law.. My cat - my rules.
    I showed him the SLGS guidelines and told him I will be doing my own glucose monitoring. After reviewing, and seeing that he really didn't have a choice in the matter, he decided to give it a try.

Part of my discussion was that he has dozens of patients he's managing - I have ONE and that is the only patient of his that I care about.

So far, things are working well. However if you can't negotiate a working relationship it's in your cat's best interest to go to someone who will work with you and not against you.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

No with regards to changing to prescription food.
    With regards to changing dose, it is up to you. I do not think I ever got my vets permission to change dose. You can/should change dose w/o vet if you are comfortable with changing dose and get input from this board.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Yeah I’m just nervous because his last vet told me to give him 7 units so I’m very worried about that because I don’t want this one to increase it a lot

5. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Yeah I’m keeping the food it doesn’t make any sense to change it

6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I would stay with the low carb canned food. Your Ss says you are following TR….is that correct. If you follow the dosing method of your choice with input from experienced members, Poopers will be safe.
    Can you put your dosing method into the signature please?

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  7. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just for a bit of context.... Most vets get close to zero education about nutrition during the course of their training. Most of the information they get once they're in practice is from the pet food manufacturer's sales people. Of course, they will tell you the prescription diabetic food is a critical part of treatment. Like others, the discussion I had with my vet involved asking her what the carbohydrate count was in the food she was suggesting I give Gabby. She indicated she had no clue. I provided her with the information and compared it to what I was feeding my cat. The subject never came up again. The other point I would potentially discuss with the vet is that there is a class action lawsuit that's been filed against the pet food manufacturers for misleading the public about "prescription" pet foods. Bottom line, there's nothing that requires a prescription that's in diabetic food. In fact, the manufacturers have been required to change the designation to dietetic (not diabetic) food. I would also suggest comparing the ingredients in the foods the vet is suggesting vs what you're feeding.

As for changing the dose, unless your vet is planning on moving in with you and treating your cat on a daily basis, he's not going to have a clue what you're doing. You do not need to send the vet a copy of your spreadsheet. Since you're following TR, you are following a dosing protocol that's been published in a leading feline veterinary journal.

All of that aside, in looking at Pooper's spreadsheet, I want to encourage you to review TR. You are holding your cat's doses for too long. With TR, you evaluate the dose every 6 cycles/3 days. If numbers aren't in a normal range, you need to consider increasing the dose.

Poopers and Catia likes this.
  8. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Thank you for this! I’m most likely going to print out the TR sheet for the vet to read.
    And about me increasing I always get nervous I will increase it today to 1.50 U because his numbers have been pretty high still. Thank you again

9. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I attached the article if you want to print it out and bring it to the vet.

Attached Files:

10. Poopers and Catia

Poopers and Catia Member

Your amazing! Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.