Vet visit services, which ones should I ask for?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Haylee&Tigger, Sep 11, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

So I think I am going to have to set him an appointment. I have updated his numbers on the SS. Sometimes he'll get a lower number that brings my hopes up but it seems like everyday at some point he'll get a high number. They are all over the place. My question now is when I go to my vets website to book him an appointment the options are:
    CBC
    Liver Screening
    Kidney Screening
    Thyroid Testing
    Urine Testing

I know I will be getting the CBC. But should he get any of the other options?

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Those are covered by what is frequently called a senior blood panel or similar depending upon the lab doing the test.
    Yes, a urine test is a good idea.

https://www.veazievet.com/senior-blood-panels/

JanetNJ and Haylee&Tigger like this.
  3. Christie & Maverick

Christie & Maverick Well-Known Member

I see that Tigger was in remission but his BG numbers are recently elevated, and it looks like you may need to start insulin again. Good plan to get in for a vetty visit, especially if you haven't been in for a while, and are noticing elevated BG and perhaps other symptoms. Have you noticed any excessive drinking, or urinating? How has his weight been? Any signs he is losing weight?

I would call this an overall health check. I would suggest you ask the vet to check Tigger's teeth in addition to running a complete blood panel and urinalysis. Sometimes dental issues can bring a kitty out of remission.

4. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

He definitely has been drinking a lot more, his weight is actually maintaining fine and has been the same. Since him going into remission last year. Thank you all for your suggestions, I want to make sure I go about this the right way and will know for the future if this just so happens again.

5. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

Update: Tigger had his appointment today and he received all the services I had listed above. I won't receive the test results until Friday.

1. Tigger has had a dirty ear since around 2018. No matter how many times I have tried to keep this ear clean, it just gets dirty the next day, he has been seen for this before and given medicated drops for it before. I was given these drops again today and was told it was an infection which, I am sure it is.

2. Doc said there is tartar and probably gingivitis on his teeth and even tried to pick away at some of it. I am going to be receiving an estimate and I will be scheduling him a dental cleaning and possibly some extractions per the docs recommendations.

3. He suggested I start him back on insulin, start Glycobalance blah blah blah. Anything to add more money onto my tab. I know the FF is doing perfectly fine for him since that was he went into remission eating.

I said no to the insulin at the moment because I am not sure if I need to start him on insulin or if I should wait until after the dental cleaning and infection clear up. I don't know if it just wasn't made obvious enough to me from you all but I assumed, wait until after the teeth cleaning/bloodwork because it could be something he is lacking or needed a dental cleaning and it would just automatically bring his BG down on its own? Am I correct on this or should I just be starting Tigger on insulin regardless right now?

@Christie & Maverick
    @Larry and Kitties

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't feed glycobalance. I think it's OK if you wait a few days to see if the antibiotics help, but if it doesn't, get back on the insulin because the faster you get the numbers under Control the better. It's harder to get them into remission the second time.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  8. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

I did not plan to feed Glycobalance, I planned to stay on Fancy Feast. I honestly don't feel like the antibiotics will bring it down to normal levels, he has had this ear infection for years and even when I got him into remission the first time. I am going to be diligent in trying to get rid of it though. I just didn't know if there was something that the bloodwork could tell me that was contributing to the high numbers now that could be solved and lower the numbers without needing the insulin but I will go ahead and get him back into it. Thank you for your help!

JanetNJ likes this.
  9. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

Well, my husband informed me that his test result this morning when he woke up for work was in the 180s. Thats significantly lower than he has been in. So I am wondering if maybe it was because the vet dug out a lot of gunk from Tigger's ear the day before. I think I am going to give the ear medication some time to work and maybe that will straighten the problem out. If not, I will be picking up his insulin Monday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.