Vetsulin - Can I pre-fill syrings?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by CassAndGordy(GA), Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CassAndGordy(GA)

CassAndGordy(GA) Well-Known Member

(Let me start by saying I KNOW this forum doesn't get a lot, but my Google searches didn't get me far.)

I am sometimes overwhelmingly busy. I can usually get Gordy's insulin prepared while he is eating away, but sometimes I need to do other things because I'm on a strict time table.

Has anyone ever pre-filled syringes with Vetsulin? I know some other kinds of insulin its acceptable, but every kind is different.

Thanks!

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

From the manufacturer: Caninsulin is the same as Vetsulin, just called by a different name in other countries:

Can Caninsulin be pre-loaded into syringes?

Caninsulin can be preloaded into syringes for clients. However, this will be off label (extra label) use since it is outside the primary packaging (a glass vial). In addition, it may be difficult to re-suspend small volumes of insulin in a syringe.

http://www.caninsulin.ca/faq-answers-p.asp

3. Alexi

Alexi Member

I did it occasionally when someone else had to give the injection, up to 12 hours ahead and kept it in the fridge with instructions to roll the syringe before injection, it worked fine. I also get busy but drawing up is done as soon as food is put down and I leave the syringe on the kitchen counter ready to give once my kitty has finished eating. It doesn't take long and I find it easier to establish and stick to a regime so it becomes automatic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.