Vetsulin does not seem to work anymore

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by doose24, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doose24

doose24 Member

Hi all,

For the last month, Nana's nadir at 4 hours has been between 150 to 180.
    I got a new vial a Vetsulin from the Vet last Thursday and her nadir was at 310, 330 on Thursday and Friday. I thought maybe that vial was bad so I ordered a new one. Same thing, her BG isn't dropping like it used to. I took various time points yesterday and her BG is like a flat-line. Hovering in the 330 range all day.

I checked her for UTI and ketones and everything is negative. I have no idea what caused the Vetsulin to stop working.

The only change is I'm giving her Wysong 90. But she has been eating that for almost 2 weeks now.

Any insight?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that the recent pinks and yellows might be related to her dropping lower at night or at other times when you don't have test results. It's possible, too, that the Wysong food is higher in carbs than is ideal.

I would encourage you to test every day both AM and PM before feeding and injecting insulin.

3. doose24

doose24 Member

I only started giving her insulin at night after I test her BG. You will see in my sheet that there is PMPS before each dose. So I do not think she's dropping at night.
    I'm trying to test as much as possible. Nana does not make it easy for me. She has to be in the mood or else it isn't happening.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I find epigen 90 effects my cats bg too much. I feed it to my other cats but only give it to cc to steer her up a bit. For my own cat she will sometimes just have a period of higher numbers sometimes. We are having that right now. Two weeks ago her preshots were around 200. This week she's in the 300's. It's annoying... But it is what it is and she needs what she needs.

If you suspect there's anything else going on like a UTI or teeth issues, get her checked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.