Vetsulin dosage & bathroom issues

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Red46, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Red46

Red46 New Member

I'm currently petsitting a diabetic on Vetsulin. Owner left me with cat that had bottomed out in morning. Didn't tell me til 6 pm & stupid vet gave her meloxicam AND said to STILL keep him at 5 units! Owner doesn't test. I've lowered him to 4 1/2 units. Tested yesterday 3 times but both times syringes bent! Vet thinks meloxicam will help but he peed & pooped next to litterbox yesterday still. He bottomed out even worst 5 was ago. He's 15 & started muscle wasting too. Any ideas most appreciated. I had a diabetic in past on Lantus for 6 yrs so learned a lot.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Do you have any BG data at all? That's a very large Vetsulin dose, dangerous really if there aren't underlying issues causing insulin resistance. What's the diet? Any other health issues? How long pet sitting for?

3. Red46

Red46 New Member

No because she doesn't test. He was on actually seven or eight units a year ago. He was then about 17 or 18 lb. His other underlying issue I would say is he's a little stiff when he's walking but he's not walking on his hocks. He goes to the bathroom in the litter box about 50% of the time I'm pet sitting for him until January 2nd. I've been testing him three times a day. He ears Friskies pate or Fancy Feast classics but sneaks little dry from other cats on house. The strange thing I notice is that yesterday morning and today after he gets a shot 3 hours later his numbers are still going up so I'm starting the new bottle of vets Inland she has in the refrigerator tonight. Her vet is a moron. After she said the cat bottomed out yesterday morning the vet didn't even tell her to lower the dosage. Go figure!

FrostD likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Vetsulin is a very harsh insulin. The numbers could be going up as part of a bounce, especially from low numbers, not necessarily the insulin going bad.

I'd say when the owner gets home probably worth a conversation! Some people just aren't interested in home testing and everything else, but at least spread awareness

5. Red46

Red46 New Member

I have spoken to the owner several times about the importance of testing & showed her as well. Sadly I found her cat unconscious today. I got him to the vet but I'm not sure if he's going to make it. The vet said he experienced seizures throughout the day. It was extremely upsetting for me. Especially since the cat just had an episode of bottoming out 5 days ago in the vet didn't say anything about lowering the insulin.

FrostD likes this.
  6. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I am very sorry to hear that. Usually it's not good, but I have seen some cats recover given time