Vetsulin info

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Kelly Glassburn, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kelly Glassburn

Kelly Glassburn New Member

Buzz had a crash last week; before that was doing 1, 4 unit dose of Vetsulin every day. Since his crash, I tested frequently, & split his dose into 2, 2 unit doses, which is more common. He is less lethargic, drinks less, pees less, & is doing well. My concern is that his numbers, during testing, are still in the 360's, or like just now, 443. We are still learning the ropes, as to what's common, & what isn't, so I'm curious as to why this is. Thanks for any helpful info!

2. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vetsulin lasts roughly 8-10 hours; occasionally, in some cats, it may last 12 hours.

Insulin doses are adjusted by the nadir, the lowest glucose post-shot. The nadir usually happens in the +3 to +4 hours post-shot. Testing then will help you see if the dose is too low (glucose doesn't get to target level) or the dose is too high (glucose goes below mg/dL on a human glucometer, risking fatal hypoglycemia).

So, testing at pre-shot makes sure it is safe to give insulin. Testing in the nadir period makes sure the cat is safe, with appropriate glucose levels while on insulin.

3. Kelly Glassburn

Kelly Glassburn New Member

Yes, yes. We get all of that. I guess I was under the impression that numbers would level out; not fluctuate from high pre-show, to low at nadir. That just doesn't seem healthy.

4. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Vetsulin has a fairly steep smile shaped curve for it. Smoother curves may be obtained using Lantus or Levemir, which have carryover from shot to shot, helping level it out.

5. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I have seen less fluctuations now that Callie has been on Vetsulin for a while. Until Buzz gets regulated you will see less changes, but there will some changes. Didn't your vet tell you to give him two shots ? Just be sure to test, feed and shoot. Those two tests are the most important tests of the day. They protect cats from going hypo, Be sure to feed 30 minutes befoe shooting. Never shoot if under 200,

Last edited: Sep 3, 2016
  6. Callie & Patches

Also, the higher numbers might be bounces. After he hits a really low number, he can bounce for several days. Call your vet and explain what happened. If you keep with the 2 doses for a few days, the bouncing should settle down.

7. Callie & Patches

Also, Callie's Nadir is at +7 and she gets the full 12 hours. I am pleased with Vetsulin. It gives us more flexibility then the deposit insulins. I have a lot of medical appointments and it is hard to get things done on time. Vetsulin isn't so strick.

8. Alexi

Alexi Member

While Buzz is still unregulated those high/low swings are pretty usual with vetsulin but as you persist with the twice daily dosing you should start to see a change. If you can set up a spreadsheet we can have a look and be able to advise.

9. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Kelly, Can you possibly set up a spreadsheet so we can see your numbers and help you? Espcially get a preshot number, and one around +4. A few curves would help too (that means you test every 2 hours or so to really get an idea of how her numbers go throughout a cycle.) Good call doing TWO shots. why in the world your vet would tell you to give her a huge dose all at once and leave her with no insulin in her body for more than half a day is beyond me. That really could have caused her deadly damage. she's lucky nothing tragic happened.

My cat is on Vetsulin, and for the first few weeks it was a steep curve from 300-400's, down to 200's, and back up. Now my cat is regulated regulated and I've really got her diet right (a little Fancy Feast Classic at preshots, and Young Again ZERO CARB dry... it's the only low carb dry that exsists to my knowledge).... and her numbers are steady and fairly predictable. ...and heading for remission (I hope).

If I can help in any way, let me know.

10. TaylorL

TaylorL New Member

Hello ! My little bear has been on vetsulin for about 3 months now , his numbers when checked pre morning shot and night shot are normally in high 300-400's (on relion meter) and the lowest I've caught him at is mid 200's . He revived 4 units each shot (8 daily) . From a forum I've read on here before that she should be from 60-120? Does this mean the insulin is not working for him ? Idk what to do anymore . He's on raw meat diet with freeze dried meat snacks . Please someone help me ?

11. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Any update on how Buzz is doing?

13. Callie & Patches

Could he have an infection? How are his teeth? UTI? When Callie had a UTI, her numbers were sky high. I would have him checked out. That is a large dose, but some cats need that much.

14. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi @TaylorL , and welcome :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Would you like to start your own thread? Your questions may get lost in Kelly's otherwise. If you need help to do that just ask. :)

Eliz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.