? Vetsulin or Prozinc?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becca84, Nov 28, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Hey y'all!

I've emailed the vet about switching to prozinc but they seem to be okay with her being on vetsulin, stating that they feel she is actually doing well. They also said they do not have to be tightly regulated. I've included the emails that were sent.
    Couple of things that worry me are, one the medication being on back order as it was when I first came to this group and was told about it. I don't have the money to buy lots at a time to make sure I have enough if it does do back order. Secondly, would we really have to start over? I know they are both different insulins but basically in and out. As per the email she is all for it if I want to switch.
    I've given her PM dose at 1.25u. I am just terrified at her going into hypos and I won't be here. Any thoughts? email.PNG email2.PNG

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

You don't have to start over. When switching insulins, the current dose is taken into the equation though it would be best to do a switch when you can be home for a couple of days to monitor.

Becca84 likes this.
  3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you aren't happy with the vetsulin them switch. I've never had a problem with ProZinc being on backorder, and I make an order every 3-4 weeks because my cat is on a high dose. Always arrives within 2-3 days after ordering it.

I agree no need to start all over. If you wanted to back out down 0.25 you could.

About cats not needing to be tightly regulated.... They do if your ultimate goal is remission. Plus numbers in the normal range are better long term for their health.

Critter Mom, Wurly and Becca84 like this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Becca,

Worried that, based on their comments, your vets think it's OK to have a kitty over the renal threshold for at least 6 hours of the cycle - as evidenced by the most recent curve.

Whether or not a kitty achieves remission, levels above the renal threshold are hard on the kidneys and other organs. At minimum, the vets should be aiming to see Candi properly regulated - below the renal threshold most of the time and with minimum risk of hypo episodes.

Mogs

Becca84 likes this.
  5. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I was thinking that same thing. I really would love to trust people. I really would. However a lot of people are business oriented which is basically money and that is what makes me skeptical a lot. I didn't like how they didn't give me a reason for or against switching, only that we would have to start over with dosing. o_O

Maybe I need to post this question over on the prozinc forum but I see that the prozinc is good for 60 days after first puncture whereas vetsulin is good for 42 days after first puncture. I have been told on several occasions that vetsulin lasts longer than 42 days. I've already thrown out my first vetsulin vial in october because it said 42 days. My question is does the prozinc last longer than its original 60 days? And if prozinc goes on back order Janet said I could use vetsulin interchangeably, maybe going down 0.25u?

I guess I'm thankful they are letting me take the reins and not really headbutting me on it. But I think I am going to pull the trigger and get her to call in a script to chewy and go from there. I don't mind starting over if thats whats required, I just want to get it right and get her headed in the right direction, regulation and hopefully remission.

Critter Mom likes this.
  6. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

We had a recent visit in OTJ land for a month that extended the time with our current vial. We're at the end of month four using this vial and it's working just fine.

Becca84 and Critter Mom like this.
  7. JanetNJ

Both insulins will keep for 4-5 months as long as they are kept in the refrigerator.

8. Becca84

Becca84 Member

and generally interchangeable correct?

9. JanetNJ

Well I wouldn't keep switching back and forth but if you are moving from one to the other that won't be a problem. ProZinc tends to have a longer duration. Birth are in and out insulins though.

Becca84 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.