? Victor's AMPS is 232 This Morning

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by H.M. Victor (GA), Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

So with his glucose level being 232 this morning, should we skip his shot or just reduce it? And if we just reduce it, by how much? We can't do the method of "stalling" because we forgot about that and gave him his food already, so what should we do?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. Bama Kitty Mom (GA)

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Heather, I don't see an answer from anyone else and it looks from Victor's SS that you may have skipped the dose? Lots of ways to approach when you get a lower reading than you were expecting. Option 1. Shoot at same level. Choose this option if you are able to stick around and take some additional readings @ +2 and maybe even +4 to see where he's heading. If it looks like he is going too low, i.e. below 100, feed a small amount of his regular food. Option 2. Reduce by no more than .5 units if you won't be around to monitor and/or take additional readings. Option 3. Skip the dose. The problem with skipping a dose is that he really, really needs some insulin to process his food. Reaching these lower preshot levels is part of the process of getting regulated. Even if seeing those numbers for the first time seems scary.

3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I didn't see this earlier. That yellow PS is great. Try to keep the stalling method in mind for next time. Aside from that technique skipping the shot is the safest thing but if you don't want to lose ground you can try a reduced dose. There's no formula for determining what reduced dose to give but half the usual dose is a starting point. As you go through these situations over time and try different reduced doses (being braver as you go) you'll accumulate a bunch of data that will be very helpful down the line. If you're home to test, have higher carb food and sugary syrup at home, try braver doses (smaller reductions).

4. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

I will be sure to keep this advice from both of you in mind for next time one of his preshots are lower than usual. Thanks for responding, better late than never :)

5. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

@Kris & Teasel @JanetNJ Had our first dark green last night and gave a little bit of his regular food at +3 since there was still an hour until nadir, which for him seems to be at +4. It's nice to finally start seeing some colors other than yellows, pinks and reds :joyful:

Rardito and JanetNJ like this.
  6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That is great!

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  7. Kris & Teasel

Woo! Hoo! That's great - and you knew what to do! :D How is the constipation issue?

H.M. Victor (GA) likes this.
  8. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

He seems to be doing okay so far. We've decided to cut back on how many treats we give him a day, and increase it by one day by day to see if giving him too many could have been the cause. We have also noticed that he's been getting weaker in his back legs, so he'll be going to the vet today for them to check for neuropathy.

9. Kris & Teasel

Neuropathy is quite common in diabetic cats. It often diminishes as BG is brought under better control. Many people give a supplement called Zobaline that can be ordered online. If that's outside your budget you can buy a human B12 supplement at the pharmacy. You'll have to check the label. The methylcobalamin version is best and make sure there's no added sugar in the tablets. Get higher dose tablets like 1200 mg or 1500 mg. The unflavoured ones are tasteless and can be crumbled into wet food easily.

10. H.M. Victor (GA)

H.M. Victor (GA) Member

Thanks for the advice :) I'll take a look at the prices for ordering Zobaline and if it looks like it might be too much for us we'll try the one from the pharmacy. Would the Zobaline be better/more effective than just the human B12 supplement or does it not really matter? Also, where would you suggest ordering the Zobaline from if we're able to?

11. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

I just researched and... ordered.
    My research led me to 2 buying sourced ONLY.
    One Amazon, the other LifeLink (who "sells" this).
    I needed/wanted to, get Nelli on ASAP.
    LifeLink (CA) was my only option for expedited shipping. Amazon did not have shipping preferences available. Co. us in CA, we are in FL.

$27. 60 tablets. "Troy" recommended I administer 2 tablets a day for first month, then one a day.
    $50. for overnight ship!?! Said it go UPS next day.
    I am a small business owner- $50 for a small weightless shipment? Seriously?
    Asked about USPS (which he said was how they shipped; "Priority")... said they were only a two man Shop... did not have man power to travel and drop off at P.O. a Express package.
    I ordered "UPS overnight". Recieved.
    Again, I am a (very) small business- women owned!
    I am just saying.

Bama Kitty Mom (GA) likes this.
  12. Kris & Teasel

This is the Lifelink website where you'll find Zobaline. Shipping could be $$. A methylcobalamin B12 supplement from a human pharmacy would be cheaper. Get one that's 1200 mcg or higher (Zobaline is 3 g per tablet: 3 mg = 3000 mcg). Ask the pharmacist to help you find one with no sugars and no flavours.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.