Vomiting After Morning Meal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Caitlin & Charleston, May 19, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caitlin & Charleston

Caitlin & Charleston Member

My newly diagnosed cat, Charleston, has started throwing up after his morning meal. Yesterday, I checked him amps, gave him some freeze dried chicken as a treat, fed him his wet food, and then gave him his shot. He scarfed down his food and promptly threw it back up. It just looked exactly like what he had just eaten - no hair, bile, etc. He then tried to eat his vomit (gross!), but I stopped him and he then went back and ate the rest of his food and kept it down fine. He's otherwise acting normal and not throwing up his other meals. This morning, I spread his wet food out on a plate to try to slow him down. He still managed to scarf it down and throw it back up again.

He's never been prone to vomiting. I adopted him at 5 years old and he's 10 now. In all that time, he's only thrown up 1 or 2 times. He typically gets fed at 6am/6pm, with a small meal at 12pm. I'm wondering if he is just getting too hungry over night. Maybe if I set an auto feeder to feed him a small meal at 12am or so, he would not be so ravenous for his morning meal?

I've seen that vomiting can be a sign of DKA, but he doesn't have any of the other symptoms. I also ordered some Ketostix, but they won't get here until Friday. I'm wondering if I should run to the pharmacy and test him right away just in case?

Should I be concerned? Any advice on how to handle this? Thanks everyone!

2. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I can't get to your spreadsheet right now. If his levels are still not under control, he may be eating his food too fast and that is what is causing the vomiting. Unregulated cats are very hungry because their bodies cannot process the food properly.

3. Caitlin & Charleston

His levels are definitely not under control at this point (he's mostly in the 300s/400s), so that would make sense. He was only diagnosed about 3 weeks ago, so we're working on finding the right dose/insulin and making only moderate progress :(

4. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Can you try to hand feed him slowly? That will stop him from eating it all so fast? Also Bobo always eats up his “vomited food” I find that great because he cleans up after himself and I don’t have to lol!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  5. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Charleston should be getting more than 3 meals every 24 hours. Many of us here feed 4+ meals per cycle. It's easier on the pancreas and helps keep the BG from dropping too low.

6. Caitlin & Charleston

I tried giving him just a couple tablespoons at a time this morning and it did the trick. Hopefully he'll slow down so I don't have to do this forever o_O

Good to know. I was initially worried that if I gave him meals between shots he might not eat at shot time. Today I switched to 4 meals every 24 hours as a starting point. Sounds like I need to get an auto-feeder set up for him. Thanks!

7. Liang & Nathan

Liang & Nathan Member

Did you just increase the dose from 1U to 2U on 05/12/2020 straightly? Was is under the vet's instruction?

8. Caitlin & Charleston

Yes, the increase directly from 1U to 2U was under instruction from my vet and before I knew about the SLGS dosing procedures recommended here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.