? Vomiting on Cerenia

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becca84, Feb 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Hey all! I gave my cat a 4th of a tablet of cerenia 60mg ,per my vet, last night around 9:30ish pm. She vomited around 8:45am...her BG was 129. She on vetsulin 0.25u bid. I had given her the probiotic and methimazole and her morning meal or what she would eat of it. She had a bad UTI passing clots and is on clavamox which messes her tummy up. Should I skip the insulin and just give the antibiotics? As so sunday no glucose or ketone in her urine per the ER vet.

2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I'd suggest going back to the vet and asking for a prescription for ondansetron, Becca, because it has a different mode of action in the body and might help when Cerenia doesn't. Ask them to give you guidance on what size of ondansetron dose you can give every 8-12 hours.

My civvie, LĂșnasa, had two 30-day courses of co-amoxiclav antibiotic last year and she would never have got through them without support from ondansetron. Even with the anti-nausea med it was a struggle because the antibiotic gave her diarrhoea for weeks. (((The Noodle))) FYI, the dose that worked for her was 2mg q12h (10lb | 4.5kg cat). Sometimes a dose of 1mg q8h might work better.

If you do get an ondansetron Rx, then if at all possible give the ondansetron and wait about an hour or so to let the dose kick in before administering the antibiotic.

If at all possible, I'd recommend daily monitoring for ketones, especially if you're worried about whether it's safe to give insulin.

I hope Candi gets over the UTI really soon.

(((Candi)))

Mogs

Last edited: Feb 17, 2021
    Becca84 likes this.
  3. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Thank you Mogs! ((((MOGS)))) I will ask for it if she does it again. I swear I feel so stupid when it comes to her. Sometimes she is so dramatic and it makes me look crazy and feel crazy too....all the self-doubt kills me. I have been giving her a little insulin just incase. I feel like her numbers are good but I do have ketone test strips here to test. Thank you for caring and responding.

Thanks!
    Candi and Rebecca

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

You only get like that because you love her so much! Also, she's a cat. ;)

(((Candi and Becca)))

:bighug:

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.