? Vomiting/stomach virus?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sugarbun, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sugarbun

Sugarbun New Member

Hi everyone, I'm looking for some help with my poor Ollie. His BG numbers have been wonderful lately. Yesterday I noticed his brother and sister both had diarrhea, but his BM was normal. Today I found vomit all around the house when I woke up. I tried to feed Ollie at his normal insulin time and he was nauseous and didn't eat. He proceeded to vomit just bile several times.

I didn't give his AM insulin since he didn't eat. I let him rest a while and gave him a pepcid, which he then vomited up a little while later. So right now he has nothing in his stomach and couldn't keep the pepcid down. He's never vomited or been sick before and I'm very worried about DKA.

There was more diarrhea today but I don't know who did it. He hasn't gone to the bathroom so I haven't been able to check for ketones.

Is there anything I can do to help prevent DKA? I'm not sure what to do for him right now, I guess let him rest a while and try to feed him again or give the pepcid again? I will be calling the vet when they open.

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I’m sorry no one has answered you sooner.
    How is Ollie now?
    Getting a urine test and checking for ketones is the right thing to do.
    Ketones can develop if there is not enough insulin and not enough food.
    And he has an infection or inflammation of some description by the sounds of things. Maybe a little tummy bug that the others have I would think. But you need to get that sorted out with a diabetic cat as they need to eat and they need their insulin.
    And fluids as also important
    If it hasn’t cleared up by now I would take him to the vet to get something for the nausea so you can give the insulin.
    And keep testing for ketones.
    Let us know how he is going.

3. Sugarbun

Sugarbun New Member

Thank you for your reply! He drank chicken broth from his 100% chicken snack and ate a few pieces of chicken around 11 AM. Then he ate a little wet food at his normal snack time and he ate a full dinner. He got a reduced dose of insulin since his BG was 117. I have the ketone testing strips and I've been waiting for him to go all day but he's very private and doesn't go when anyone is around

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
    Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Try covering his 'favourite spot' in the litter box with cling film.

Tips for collecting urine samples

Another option to consider is a ketone meter. The strips are pricey but you don't need to use many and you can test on demand:

Ketones, DKA and blood ketone meters

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.