"Walk me through hometesting, please phase 2"

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by EricH., Jul 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+12 533

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

I saw you shot 1.25 that's ok, but it looks like she'll need an increase. I'm sure Sue and Rachel will chime in. And you got the spreadsheet!!! Yay!!!

3. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Marje and Gracie set it up! I'm trying to figure out how to load the fields with the proper #s and colors.

4. Sharon14

EricH. likes this.
  5. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Spreadsheet!!!! Yay! It looks great! The colors are showing for me.

Yes I think an increase would be good. 1.25 is fine for today but I'd up it if she's in the high 300s or more tonight. We want to start getting those numbers to trend down some.

EricH. likes this.
  6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Good Morning Eric ~ glad your SS is up and running. :cat:

Don't sweat it about the dose this AM, like the others said, you can take her up tonight if she is still high.

EricH. likes this.
  7. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Great job on all of the testing Eric. With your hard work and patience, you'll start to see better numbers for Phoebe.

EricH. likes this.
  8. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Good morning everyone!
    Phoebe is at
    +2 479

I'll be off of here and not testing Phoebe until l get home from work this afternoon. Leaving her alone racks my brain but l know she'll be ok and Bobo is here to calm and relax her. Those that don't know Bobo is Phoebe's big grey tabby brother. He's 14 healthy and wise.

9. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I hope so! Thank you for the kind words and encouragement!

AbyResq likes this.
  10. Sharon14

You need to show us a pic of Bobo!

11. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Where and how can l post it?

12. Sharon14

You can post it here. Just click on the upload a file button next to the post reply button

13. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Here's Bobo!

Attached Files:

DebG and Marje and Gracie like this.
  14. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Bobo being stoic hahaha

Attached Files:

15. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Early spring.

Attached Files:

16. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Bed buddies.

Attached Files:

17. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Big orange. Little miss Phoebe.

Attached Files:

18. Sharon14

So cute! Bobo's quite handsome!

EricH. and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Those are big cats - it seems like so many of our diabetic kitties are orange tabbies
    great job, Eric - the spreadsheet will make things alot easier to keep track of - Phoebe is on her way to good things!

EricH., Bobbie And Bubba and Sharon14 like this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

Thanks for sharing photos with us! They look the best of friends!

EricH. and Sharon14 like this.
  21. Ruby&Baco

Ruby&Baco Well-Known Member

Sooo cute those pictures !
    I see you set up that spreadsheet, nowwwwwwwwwwwwwww we're talking ;)
    I think indeed Phoebe's needs an increase in the dosis, because the numbers stay pretty up.
    Maybe you've already told the others, I can't find it, but what do you feed little Phoebe?

EricH. likes this.
  22. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Marje and Gracie are my heroes! They set up the spread sheet!

Ruby&Baco, DebG and Sharon14 like this.
  23. Bobbie And Bubba

Hey Eric, did you get a PMPS yet? It looks like Phoebe stayed pretty high today. Please post the number for some dosing advice.

EricH. likes this.
  24. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I was gone from the house all day and wasn't able to check her numbers. I just got in and am watching her eat at the moment. Will get numbers asap

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  25. Bobbie And Bubba

Post when you get the PMPS

26. Bobbie And Bubba

Usually, it's best to get test, feed and shoot. If you can't do it in that order, get a test as soon as she is done eating as for the food not to influence the number. Right now while she is in higher number, it's not as important but when she gets into lower numbers you will not want her to eat first in case you have to stall for her numbers to come up.

27. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She just ate. Tested at 610pm central and is 373 preshot.

28. Bobbie And Bubba

Nice! She came down 150 points from the AMPS. A lot of cats have lower PM cycles. If you are able to monitor tonight, you could raise her to 1.5.

29. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes l can monitor her. Shoot now?

30. Bobbie And Bubba

If she were my kitty I would shoot 1.5

EricH. likes this.
  31. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Ok bumping up to 1.5 at 6:25p.m. central time

Sharon14 and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  32. Bobbie And Bubba

perfect.

EricH. likes this.
  33. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Test her every 2 hours until l go to bed do you recommend?

34. Bobbie And Bubba

Yes, I would. Since you don't have any test through out the AM cycle other than the AM and +2, we need to see how low the dose is taking her. We don't know how low she went today on the 1.25 dose. Let's see what this dose does.

35. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+2 353

36. Bobbie And Bubba

Okay, so she is lower at +2 than her PMPS which could mean an active cycle. Can you get a +5 or +6 to see how low this dose is going to take her?

EricH. likes this.
  37. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes of course not a problem. That's what alarms are for! :)
    Speaking of alarms Phoebe's always been my 5a.m. alarm every morning. No matter what! She was always a few seconds before my actual alarm went off. That all changed when she went DKA on the 4th of July weekend. Until this morning. She woke me up at 5:15a.m.! Her clocks a little off but it made me feel so HAPPY ❤ that she is slowly getting back into her routine!

38. Bobbie And Bubba

Oh, I so understand that!!

EricH. likes this.
  39. Bobbie And Bubba

Eric, when you get the +5, I will probably be long asleep. If she were to be dropping fast and too low, give her a little bit of food to steer her up. If you need immediate assistance, you can post in Health with a ? mark as the prefix because there are more eyes there than in the ProZinc forum later at night. Remember, you don't have anything to worry about if she is above 50 around the +6 mark. You don't have a lot of data on her yet so we are winging it. This weekend if you can do a curve. that information will really help to know how to dose her. If you need information on how to do that just ask and someone will provide it to you.

EricH. likes this.
  40. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Ok. Hopefully no super low numbers pop up. That kind of scares me. As for food at the moment l have food out for her and she's been snacking all night. Should l have not left food out for her? I was thinking l need her to eat.

41. Bobbie And Bubba

I think that is fine since she hasn't been eating really well for you and she is in higher numbers. Does she tend to be a grazer?

42. Bobbie And Bubba

She started off pretty high so I wouldn't be terribly worried but cats can be cats and do sneaky things that is why I would feel better about you getting a +5 or +6 to make sure she is safe.

43. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She would be fed every morning between 5:00a.m.-5:30a.m. and 5:00p.m.-5:30p.m.
    She was put on half a cup a day plus wet food. But since her DKA she's almost resorted back to her pre-diabetes day when she'd graze. But l also left a big catfood dispenser out. Yes she's grazing now.

44. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+3 417

45. Sharon14

46. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Both kitties are beautiful. They are in good hands Eric, keep up the good work.

EricH. likes this.
  47. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

48. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

49. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

And it's spelt Go! Hahaha l didn't just add the exclamation point.

50. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

51. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Click on the link above and look at the guaranteed analysis then click on the download nutrient profile. I actually spoke to the dietitian from the company today over the phone and she told me if she's eating crunchies make sure l give her Go! and not their senior or adult brsnds. I switched today. I've been studying. :)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    Sharon14 likes this.
  52. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+6 405

53. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 516

54. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmm...so she really just surfed along it looks like. Hopefully this dose will help bring her a little lower. She might need a cycle or two to get used to a new dose.

EricH. likes this.
  55. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Is this normal when changing the dosage?

56. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

It depends. We've had cats here who have immediate reactions to dose changes. There have also been cats who need 3 cycles before you notice their numbers reacting to a dose change. It's really once of those ECID things. Over time, patterns emerge and we can usually tell whether a kitty needs time to react.

EricH. likes this.
  57. Sharon14

Looks like a pretty good food, but still too high in carbs(I know you know that) so keep on trying to get her on a lower carb food. Have you tried the Go! Pate? It looks pretty good, may try it for my kitties.

EricH. likes this.
  58. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes. She ate their wet foods before she got severely ill. It's as if I'm reintroducing her to wet food all over again.

59. Sharon14

She'll get there. It's good she's eating!

EricH. likes this.
  60. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Go! Pate is great Bobo loves it! But he loves everything! Hahaha! He's 14 and in great shape!

Sharon14 likes this.
  61. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+7 385

62. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+9 385

63. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+11 404

64. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

PMPS 380

65. Bobbie And Bubba

I like seeing that Phoebe came out of the black and into pinks. Still a lot of room for dropping. Eric have you gotten in touch with Young Again yet to have them send you a sample? If she would eat it, which I think she will, her numbers are going to come down. And that said, when she does start on it, make sure it is a day that you can monitor because changing to lower carb food could bring the numbers down by 100 of more

Here is their website and if you call, their customer service is awesome! When I first order it the owner of the company called me 3 times to help me and give me information.

https://www.youngagainpetfood.com/cat-food.html

I am leaving town tomorrow for 4 days and will try to check in on you and Phoebe. Keep up the good work, Eric!

EricH. likes this.
  66. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you. I was looking into Young Again today. You and Sharon have been speaking highly of it. I know the Petcurean Go! Fit+Free is all natural and gluten free at 17% carbs that l switched Phoebe to the other day. I'm going to tell the lady at the local pet feed store too look into carrying Young Again. She only carries natural and gluten free foods. Speaking of customer service Petcurean gets an A+ as well. The dietitian called me back yesterday about Phoebe. From Canada. Nice people. Thanks for the link! I'll contact them for a sample. I was trying to find a link that shows where their food is sold in my area.

67. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Eric - Young Again is not sold in any stores - you can only get it through the company (calling them or on-line) Murphy also eats dry food sometime - I can say absolutely Wyong's Epigen90 does not raise his blood sugar, neither does a starch free semi moist food called Waggers (www.waggers.com) Waggers is sold at some pet food stores, so is Epigen 90 (it has to be the Epigen 90, not the regular Epigen) Nature's Variety Instinct dry, also sold in pet food stores, has around 14% carbs.

68. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

382 @ +2.5

69. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 381

70. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I agree, I think a lower carb food might help some. I know we've talked aout it before, but I think some of the options Carol and Sharon have suggested might be helpful if you get a chance.

I do like that her preshot numbers are in purples rather than res and blacks right now. :)

EricH. likes this.
  71. Sharon14

AMPS much better this AM! She's looking better overall, but can come down some more. @Rachel @Sue and Oliver (GA) do you think Eric should increase the dose?

EricH. likes this.
  72. Bobbie And Bubba

Good Morning Eric, I like that she is coming down from the reds and blacks.

EricH. likes this.
  73. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

At the moment the lowest carb dry she'll eat is the Go! Fit-Free which has only 17% Carbohydrates. As well as the chicken l cook her. I tried to introduce FF Classic again this morning. I'm contacting Young Again today for a sample. Sorry she's picky.

74. Sharon14

Glad she's eating! Right now that's the important thing!!! We keep bringing up the food because it's such an important part of regulation, we know you know that and are trying. She will get her regular appetite back, soon, we all hope!

EricH. and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  75. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Oh we understand picky around here! Trust me! I was just wondering if you'd had a chance to check into the Young Again or any of the other suggestions. If she won't eat them, she won't eat them.

Might be good to increase to 1.75 if you're sticking in those high numbers still. I wouldn't do it on the same dose that you change foods though. Once change at a time helps us figure out what is working for her.

76. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

I'd give the new dose 3 cycles. I think that'd be tonight to up to 1.75, if you can get a before bed test and a nadir test in. She is dropping for preshot and probably nadir, but has more room to drop. As soon as she decides low carb isn't the worst thing in the world, and she might lower herself to eat it :banghead:, she should look pretty good. Keep working with Her Highness, Eric. I think it is a huge part of her higher levels.

77. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+2 335

78. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just started giving here the low end carb on Tuesday when l purchased it. It's the best dry in my area. I actually spoke too the dietitian from Petcurean about the food. And she says that it's great for Diabetic cats and that l need to watch her numbers. Here's a link to their page and a direct number too the dietitian.
    http://www.petcurean.com/
    I buy from a locally owned stored called Angeles With Tails in Johnsburg Illinois. All her food it gluten free and good food. Here's also the entire analysis of what l just started feeding Phoebe as of Tuesday.

Attached Files:

79. Sharon14

It is a good food as far as dry goes, and I may check into it for my other kitties. We try to keep carbs under 10% for diabetics though, so it's still a bit high. Her numbers are somewhat better since the switch. Did you see Sues post above about an increase? The most important thing is that she's eating and feeling better, if that's all she'll eat, we will adjust the insulin to match the carb levels.

EricH. likes this.
  80. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes l saw Sue's post about the increase. That'll be today at 530pm central standard time for the increase.

Sharon14 likes this.
  81. Bobbie And Bubba

I agree with Sharon, it is still to high for a diabetic cat. Carbs need to be under 10% That is the problem with dry food as there are very few that are low carbs and YA is one of them. I think you will see a big difference if she will eat it but again, start it when you are going to be around to monitor her as she could drop by as much as 100 points.

EricH. likes this.
  82. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I have two samples of Young Again on there way.

Sharon14 likes this.
  83. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+10 307

84. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I agree Sue. It wouldn't be such a battle if l could get her past this food aversion she acquired, after her 5 days of syringe feedings. She actually ate wet food before.

85. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

So Sue and Bobbie do l go ahead and bump Phoebe up to 1.75 units or wait to the morning?

86. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

It depends on which cycle is the easier to monitor. We always suggest that, when increasing, pick a cycle that you can catch a test at +2/3 and in that +5-7 range - just in case she decides to surprise you.

87. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Well I'll switch her in the morning. I can monitor her most of the day if not all of the day. I'd feel better that way as well.

Sharon14 and Sue and Oliver (GA) like this.
  88. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

PMPS 323

89. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thanks again to everyone on here that has been assisting me in this new chapter in Phoebe, Bobo, and my new beginning! I mean it from the bottom of my heart! Each day I'm gaining knowledge and abilities. I just wish l was not so naive when she was diagnosed in September. I know l can't change the past but l wish l knew then what l know now.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
    JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  90. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

We all know how that feels! I was lucky in that I found this site almost immediately...but it wasn't me! My BF did a web search since I was so upset and found this place for me. :)

I think bumping up tomorrow morning will be good. I'm excited to see how Phoebe does with a higher dose!

EricH. likes this.
  91. Sharon14

323 is her best PS# yet! Looking good!

EricH. likes this.
  92. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I found this sight on July 2nd with Phoebe in my arms limp as a wet towel with her pupils slowly dilating and eyes rolling back into her head and not knowing if she'd be here in 5 minutes from that moment. One of the most HORRIFIC feelings ever! Made worse when your Vet is closed on a holiday weekend! You people are truly Phoebe's guardian angels!

93. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you Sharon! Thank you so much!

Sharon14 likes this.
  94. AbyResq

AbyResq Member

Don't short change yourself. You are her guardian angel. That's coming from someone who has takes in cats that other people throw away. You are here learning and improving every day. Phoebe couldn't want for a better owner. We all wish we could back in time. The important thing is that you cared enough to learn and grow as her guardian angel.

I was online the day you started posting and read your threads. I stayed quiet because you were getting helped by several wonderful people. I'm so happy to see you and Phoebe here now. She is improving thanks to you.

95. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+2.5 312

96. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AbyResq thank you so much for the kind words. I'm beyond humbled! I as everyone else here is a guardian angel, family, friend, too these beautiful creatures. I just want them to feel as loved as they make me feel! I owe them that and so much more. They're my everything.

AbyResq and Sharon14 like this.
  97. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+5 333

98. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

AMPS 345

99. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Bumped up to 1.75 units at 530am central standard.

100. Sharon14

Her lowest AMPS yet! Good luck with the increased dose. Look forward to seeing how well it works. Go Phoebe!:cat:

EricH. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.