"Walk me through hometesting, please"

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by EricH., Jul 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I'm here in search of the proper information for hometesting. It literally scares me. But not as much as losing Phoebe!

Phoebe was diagnosed with diabetes in September of last year. She was prescribed Vetsulin from that day on. She was given 4 units every morning. Everything was going great. She was healthy and energetic. Then on 4th of July weekend she got really ill with DKA. Since July 12th she has been on Prozinc. The Dr. prescribed 1 unit every 12 hours. Phoebe hasn't seemed the same since she got sick. I told my Vet at her follow up visit and she said that sometimes it takes awhile for them too bounce back. I told her that Phoebe's appetite isn't like it was before. The Vet compared it too being really I'll with the flu and getting sick. I don't know about that?

So if anyone can walk me through hometesting that would be great. I have two glucose monitors. One ReliOn Prime and the other Arkray.

I was told it'd be better to test at home since Phoebe could get stressed at the Vet and change her levels. So if anyone could help Phoebe and me that'd so appreciated!

Sincerely,
    Phoebe and Eric

2. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Sue and Oliver (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Phoebe and Eric,

Here is the thread that has all the info on home testing:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/hometesting-links-and-tips.287/

If you think he will be resistant, I'd suggest you go slowly. Decide where you are going to test. Some people us the counter, some on the bed, some between their legs on the floor.

Then, find a treat he loves and save it for testing. (Bonito flakes and PureBites are favorite low carb treats at my house)Take him to your spot, pets, play with his ear, give him a treat, praise and let him go. After a few times, add warming the ear. We used a rice sock (thinnish sock filled with raw rice, knotted and heated in microwave until very warm). The idea is that when you finally poke him, he will be anticipating the treat and won't mind.

Congrats for giving testing a try. It's the way to keep him safe, and best manage his diabetes. You can make sure he is in safe levels.

Did the vet mention ketone testing? You buy the same strips human diabetics use and stick the strip in his urine stream. It will help you steer away from any possible DKA episode.

EricH. likes this.
  3. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Eric, glad to see you here! Home testing is really easy once you get the hang of it. Use the desensitization technique Sue mentioned above. Also check out the videos in the thread she linked. When you're ready to test, make sure Phoebes ear is warm, use the rice sock and/or vigorous massage. Be sure you're calm and don't forget the treat after, even if the test was unsuccessful! Give it a try, and if you still have questions, don't hesitate to ask them.

EricH. likes this.
  4. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Ok here's my confusion and l can't seem to find the right answer. Do l check Phoebe's blood glucose level right before l give her her 1st insulin shot in the morning at 5:30a.m.? Then what? What do l do with the readings? Do l adjust the amount of insulin given? I seriously don't want to hurt my cat and l can't find the answer for that. The Vets telling 1 unit at 530am and another at 530pm. This is what's scaring me.

5. Sharon14

Yes, check before you give the shot. You want to be sure she's high enough to shoot. You also want to get a few tests in during the cycle to see how low the dose is taking her. @Sue and Oliver (GA) is the one with the dosing advice. Have you gotten a test?

6. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Yep, we test before every shot. Basically, test, feed, shoot, all in about 15 minutes. If your kitty is under 200, don't shoot. Stall WITHOUT FEEDING for about 15 minutes to see if she comes up. Then try to get tests in mid cycles when you can. We know it's tough and a lot of us only get those mid cycle tests on weekends or random nighttimes.

If you post here with what numbers you get, we can help advise on dosing. 1 unit isn't a bad starting dose, but at lower numbers, sometimes they don't even need that much. :) What time zone are you in?

EricH. likes this.
  7. Sue and Oliver (GA)

The protocol we put together should be helpful. It is in blue in my signature.

In general we think the first goal is regulation: mid to lower 200s for preshot, lower 100s or double digits 5-7 hours after the shot (but not below 50, which is nearing hypo range). Usually ProZinc gives you a smile curve - from preshot down to nadir and back up to preshot. Once you get regulated numbers, then you can start fine tuning the dose to get the levels a little lower.

8. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Hi Eric and welcome to the ProZinc forum. Congratulations on learning to home test as it is so important to keep Phoebe safe. It does get easier and Sue gave some good advice as to how to train her for the testing with a ritual, a spot you designate to the testing and low carb treats and don't forget lots of hugs and kisses afterwards.

When you test at 5:30 AM and PM and if you have any questions as to whether you should shoot, post here and put a question mark in your title. Rachel is the early bird on the board and I am usually around by 6 AM EST. What time zone are you in? You can always post in Health which has more eyes on it that the ProZinc forum as the ProZinc forum is small.

Ask any and all questions you have as we are here to help you. :cat:

EricH. likes this.
  9. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

He's in Central time zone. Eric, you said her appetite is not the same - are you feeding her the same foods? What foods are you feeding her? Do you know why she went into DKA (did she have an infection, or did she stop eating then) Are the foods you are feeding her now the same ones she ate before she got the diagnosis? If so, there are meds you can give for nausea and to stimulate appetite - since she had DKA, it is very important that she eats enough calories here are some tips to get a cat to eat
    regarding testing and dosing insulin- before you give insulin, you need to know what their blood sugar is (make sure she doesn't eat anything for two hours before this test) For you now, if you get a reading 200 or less, don't feed her but wait for 20-30 minutes and test her again- hopefully in that time period, her blood sugar came up to 200 or more. Eventually, you will also use the pre shot readings to help determine how much insulin to give (along with getting some tests in any where between 5 and 7 hours after you have given the shot to determine how low the dose is taking her glucose. Does this make sense? Please ask any and all questions you have

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  10. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I'm in the central zone. An hour north of Chicago near the Wisconsin border.

11. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you so much. My Vet really could care less or her understanding of diabetic cats is scaring the hell out of me that I'm reaching out for help. I just

12. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I tested Phoebe at 530am and her readings said 519. Isn't that way to high? I got that reading from ReliOn Prime. I attempted too get a second reading for her using the Arkray meater and she started getting upset so l let her down. What do l do?

13. Carol & Murphy (GA)

You can give her the insulin - after she eats weren't you starting at 1 unit?
    Yes, that reading is high, but hopefully the Prozinc will start to work to bring it down
    can you do another test in a few hours?

14. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes I'll give her another test even if she doesn't like it. It's for her own good. I'll post new results.

JanetNJ likes this.
  15. Sharon14

Great that you've started testing! What are you feeding Phoebe?

16. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

A dry kibble of turkey, salmon, duck blend from Pet Curean is all she'll eat at the moment. I've tried all these wet foods Pro Plan DM, Go! from Pet Curean, Sheba pate, Fancy Feast classics and she won't eat any of them! She did before but she was always picky. This has been the hardest thing ever!

Last edited: Jul 23, 2016
  17. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Then l had to step out of the house for an hour an upon my return I notice one of the cats have thrown up? I don't know if I should go pick up some anti nausea medication? Also l have mirtzapine l was thinking of giving her for her appetite?

18. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Eric - when Murphy got hepatic lipidosis a few years ago (fatty liver) he developed food aversions to whatever he was eating when he was getting sick - kind of like my Mom got sick once after she ate lasagna and ever since then, she can't eat it. Cats do it to - she is associating what she was eating when she developed DKA with not feeling well Murphy, since he gets frequent bouts of nausea/vomiting from IBD and pancreatitis, will develop an aversion to the food he is eating when he doesn't feel well - I just don't feed those foods for a few weeks, and sometimes he'll go back to them

Shorty and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  19. Carol & Murphy (GA)

If she is vomiting, she should be on cerenia - which is an excellent anti-emetic - it is for pets so you need to get it from your vet
    ondansteron is a great anti nausea drug for cats - it's a human med so need to get it from a pharmacy
    If she is feeling poorly with nausea and vomiting, probably best to treat that first and then give appetite stimulant if you need to

EricH. likes this.
  20. Bobbie And Bubba

Good news on getting the test this morning. With her recent history of DKA, it will be important that she eats, and drinks enough. If she is not at the water bowl enough, add about 1/4 cup of water to her food. It will be soupy, so maybe put on a large size dinner plate or bowl.

Are you testing for ketones? It is important to do so especially while she is in higher numbers.

Sorry about the throw up. Hope it wasn't Phoebe. Did she eat enough this AM?

21. Bobbie And Bubba

Does anyone know the carb count for the Pet Curean that Phoebe is eating? Is it canned food? I don't see on the chart. The important thing is that she eats and IF it's too high in carb count you will have to adjust the insulin until she would eat something lower carb.

22. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

No I haven't been testing for ketones. I'm gonna head to my vet right now and get her some anti nausea medication. And some different food.

23. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

The Pet Curean that Phoebe is eating is the dry kibble. It's always been hard to give her wet since she's never really liked it. I have 3 water bowls throughout my house and she's always drinking water. The Pet Curean she is eating is the Now Fresh for Adults turkey, salmon, duck blend as well as the same blend for seniors. It's all she'll eat since being released two weeks ago. It's been a struggle.

24. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just tested Phoebe again and she's at 427 now.

25. Bobbie And Bubba

The important thing is that she eats. Keep trying to offer her some wet as well and eventually maybe she will eat it. Try some FF Classics as they are lower in carbs. You can try crushing some of the dry and sprinkling it on top of the wet to entice her.

Good that she is coming down in numbers. Did you shoot at 5:30AM central?

26. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I've tried the fancy feast classics and its a no go. Yes l shot her at 530am. Now I'm worried about the Pet Curean im giving her.

27. Bobbie And Bubba

See if you can find out what the carb count is for it. Right now, she just has to eat! That and drinking enough is so important with cats that have been DKA. Glad you see her drinking a lot, that is good. Bubba threw ketones and does not drink enough so I add the 1/4 cup of water to his two big meals a day. Just keep trying with the wet food, different flavors. Also, try plain old baby food with just meat, no added veggies or pasta. Beech Nut, size 2.5 jar it says Chicken & Chicken broth on the label. When Bubba was sick recently, that got him eating. It might be enough to get her used to wet food. It is not a complete food for cats because they need other things in the cat food like taurine but it won't hurt for a few days to a week.

EricH. likes this.
  28. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Eric- I know that this is a lot to take in
    there is one dry food that is very low carb, high calorie so it would be great for Phoebe until she eats wet food
    It is called Young Again zero carb here is the web site If you call them today or Monday, they will send you out free samples
    maybe you can go to a Petsmart or Petco and find some wet food in different proteins - look for Nature's variety in venison, duck, rabbit - maybe she will eat that since she's never tasted anything like that before

29. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Eric, first breathe. I know this is tough, but there are tons of diabetic cat owners on this site, and if we can do it, you can too! It gets easier as you go along.

As several have said, it's important to that she eats. You can work towards the wet food, but it might take awhile. Until then, it is most important that she gets food. Have you seen these transitioning tips for dry food addicts?

The numbers are high, but that's not too surprising. Remember, she is eating dry food which does raise the numbers and she is just now getting insulin....her body needs to get used to having that and using it.

Shorty and EricH. like this.
  30. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I am breathing and l know it's important that she eats. She's BEEN eating just not not at her normal levels.

31. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Ev
    Everyone is telling me what to give her and if they'd read the thread they'd realize l'd already addressed those issues. Sorry.

Shorty likes this.
  32. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Well let's move on to something else then! Besides food, what other questions do you have for us? How can we help?

You're doing GREAT by the way. When I first came here and people suggested home testing, I was horrified! My vet had mentioned it too and I rejected it. I figured if I could barely give a shot, how was I going to home test? I figured it all out, but I was pretty stubborn about it at first...and you just jumped right into it!

EricH. likes this.
  33. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Do
    Rachel thank you and everyone on here for your help and wonderful support. I'm lucky such a wonderful group and source of information exists. I guess all that l can do is be patient and vigilant with Phoebe. I guess l'm not used too her not bouncing back as quickly as she did when she was first diagnosed with diabetes last September. The recovery process from DKA must be a lot harder? :(

34. Sue and Oliver (GA)

I do think it takes a while to recover from DKA. Think of having a horrid case of the flu - dehydrated, weak. But you are doing the right stuff - testing her, making sure she drinks and eats. Be sure to get some ketone tests in daily while she is in high numbers and not eating as robustly as she could. (Same ketone strips that humans use. Stick in her urine stream. If she won't let you do that, we have other ways..)

Yes, her numbers are high and we'd like to see them lower - as you would. The dry food can definitely be part of the problem. Just keep offering wet food along with the dry with all the dressings suggested. She may just decide it is okay one of these days. As others have said, wet is best but she must eat, so dry for now.

DKA is usually caused by inappetite, high levels and an infection. Did she have an infection? Is she being treated for it? Having an infection even when on antibiotics can cause higher levels also.

If she is still running high tomorrow, you might consider a small increase in insulin. Your numbers today (especially important is a number in the 5-7 hours after the shot. That should be her low point) will help us see how the insulin is working. There are lots of factors here (dry food, first few days on insulin and her body needing time to get used to it, an infection?) so the dosing is more difficult than usual.

EricH. likes this.
  35. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Hi Eric, and Welcome! Phoebe is a nice looking cat:cat:. I am glad you found the FDMB site. Learning to home test will be so helpful for you to determine her insulin needs. Vets don't receive a lot of education on diabetes when they are in school and probably most don't have the time to do more studying on this specific disease. We can help you.
    My cat was a DKA survivor. He came home with a feeding tube because he wouldn't eat at all at the vets. He had lost a lot of weight. He lived another 9 years after that episode and recently passed on at 20 years old. Thanks to this site, I was able to learn to home test, and got suggestions on foods to feed, how to adjust insulin doses, and received lots of support when I needed it (even in the middle of the night).

Have you gone out to buy the ketone test strips, yet? If not, I would get those as soon as possible, and test her urine for ketones. Knock on wood, they are negative. The throwing up concerns me, and I hope it wasn't Phoebe. Like others have said eating and drinking are so important for her right now, also getting enough insulin.

EricH. and Bobbie And Bubba like this.
  36. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She was doing great until l got some bad advice on weening her off of the vetsulin. She was eating wet food at thr time as well as her dry. She had no infections and has no infections now. I feel horrible for ever listening to the vet in weening her. I nearly lost her. :( As for diet Phoebe has always been one of the most finicky cats I've ever had. Hard to explain her quirkiness? Hahaha but when she finally found something she likes she likes it. As for testing in her urine stream she doesn't like anybody coming near the litter box when she's in it.

37. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Thank you Dyana. Yes Phoebe is a beautiful little orange bundle of joy! She's the sweetest cat l ever had with a ton of personality. Wakes me up everyday (until she got ill) at 5am and greats me everyday at the door when l come home. She's my angel.

38. Bobbie And Bubba

Eric, I had the same issue with Bubba so I bought a ketone meter from Amazon, it is the Abbott Precision Xtra and I think it was about 30-35 dollars. The ketone test strips though are pricey. You test the blood just like you do for the BG test. I would have both meters ready with strips and use the same sample of blood as to not stress Bubba out. I found the strips the cheapest from an online pharmacy in Canada called Universal. It definitely made testing for ketones easier for me. I was making myself crazy trying to catch him in the box and then he would just stare at me.

39. Bobbie And Bubba

One more thing about the meter, the results are current where as with the ketone urine strips, it can take up to 1/2 day before ketones show in the urine. You want to be on top of it not behind it. If you order one and start using it, post and I will give you the guide lines for how to read the results for a cat as the meter is for humans.

40. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

I forgot about the blood ketone meter! Definitely worth a shot if you can't catch her in the litter box, Eric.

We ALL get the feeling of wishing we hadn't listened to the vet. To be fair, vets have to know about all diseases in all animals...so it is tough for them to to stay on top of everything. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it. You are doing what is right for Phoebe now, and that's what is important. You're taking great care of her.

41. Sue and Oliver (GA)

If the meter won't work (the strips are expensive, but it is a great tool) or until you get one: Oliver would never let us watch him pee either. We put aquarium gravel in a clean litter box and left him alone in a room with it. He would be compelled to "christen" the clean box. Then we'd swoop in and get the sample, as the gravel doesn't absorb it.

42. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Or put plastic wrap over the litter, tuck it in a little bit and then make little dips in it where the pee will collect.

43. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Besides Phoebe l have Bobo and they share litter boxes. I don't want to close her off in a room all alone because l know it'll stress her out being shut off from us. I think the meter is the way too go. I'm looking on Amazon now.

44. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just did Phoebe's BG reading and she's at 386 at 515pm. Her insulin shot is scheduled for 530pm.

45. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just did Phoebe's BG reading and she's at 386 at 515pm. Her insulin shot is scheduled for 530pm.

46. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Well, it is certainly lower than her amps but still high. I would stick with the one unit for another cycle. My thinking is overnight is trickier to monitor. The insulin is working to bring her down but we'd like her lower. So tomorrow am if the amps is in the high 300s, maybe increase to 1.25 if you can eyeball it?

Eric, can we get you to set up a spreadsheet? It is a great color coded goggle document that will help you, us and your vet see her history of levels and doses at a glance. That's invaluable when you want dosing help. The instructions for the spreadsheet are here:

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

47. Bobbie And Bubba

Some drug stores carry it if you want to get it right away, otherwise Amazon. Make sure when you order it, if that is the route you go, that the meter will come with some strips. I don't remember as it was 7 months ago when I ordered it. So,if it does not come with any, you will need to get some. Here is the website for the Canadian Online Pharm where I got them.
    https://www.universaldrugstore.com/

48. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Everytime l go too download it l get an error.

49. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Are you sure signed into Goggle?

50. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes. I can view the chart but l can't manipulate the fields. Is that how it's supposed to be? I had a friend try and download it as well and the same thing happened to him.

51. Sue and Oliver (GA)

You have to save a copy to your favorites. Then you should be able to add info to your copy. Does that work?

52. Shorty

Shorty Member

Keep working at it. I decided when Shorty got diagnosed, to transition ALL of our cats to wet food. My little Prima Donna Kitty, Nunu, she wouldn't touch it at first. Now, two weeks later, she is eating the wet along with the other cats. You may have to transition a little at a time. Take the wet, and maybe add 5 pieces of dry to it and stir it in.

53. Shorty

Shorty Member

It sometimes takes up to a minute for me, to be able to adjust Shorty's chart. Did you follow the instructions fully, on setting it up?

You have to take the template chart provided in the link below, copy it, rename it, and publish it, I believe the process goes.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

54. BJM

BJM Well-Known Member

Check my signature link Secondary Monitoring Tools for some supplemental assessments to help you evaluate your cat. There are some tips on urine testing, plus dehydration checks, and more.

55. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sorry but l don't have a computer. I've been communicating through my phone which is a GalaxyS5.

56. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She was eating some wet food before she got ill. I believe from the syringe feedings when she was really ill over the 4th of July weekend she now has a food aversion. She actually ran from wet food today. Believe me l haven't given up. That’s why l'm here.

57. Sharon14

You said once that Phoebe ate some of your hamburger, you can cook up some meat for her to add some protein without carbs. Just make sure not to add any spices, and only use it for part of a meal or as a snack, because it doesn't have all the vitamins she needs.

EricH. likes this.
  58. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sharon l'm cooking hamburger and chicken for her today. I was thinking the same thing when l went to bed last night!

Sharon14 likes this.
  59. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

BG 421 at 5:36a.m.

60. Sharon14

Sue suggested you try to eyeball 1.25 units if she was over 300 this AM. Do you think you can do that? Do your syringes have 1/2 unit markings?

EricH. likes this.
  61. Sharon14

62. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's why... I tried at first to use my phone too... doesn't work. You need to use a tablet or computer.

Sharon14 and EricH. like this.
  63. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes I'm well aware of the pitfalls of dry food. I've been getting her off dry food since she was diagnosed with diabetes in September. It's been a struggle with Phoebe. She would go days if she had too without eating when you changed her food. But honestly in the last 3 months she started consuming and enjoying wet food. As well as the occasional piece of chicken torn from my dinner. To say she's finicky is an understatement. I offered her a treat after her glucose test was done she loved that. Then l put some treats in wet food and she ran from them. Wouldn't take the treats at all.

64. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I eyeballed it Sharon at 1.25. I'm pretty good at reading measurements and fractional numbers from my line of work.

Sharon14 likes this.
  65. Sharon14

Great! Hope the increase does the trick. Getting her into better numbers may help her appetite too.

EricH. likes this.
  66. Sue and Oliver (GA)

@Marje and Gracie, is there a way for the spreadsheet to work on a phone? (Eric, Marji is the guru for spreadsheets)

Hope the increase improves her numbers today.

67. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sharon all l can say is the increase in insulin seems to have put a pep in her step! She's up and about eyeing the chipmunks outside and asking too go out! When should l give her another reading? I made her a chicken breast this morning but she didn't eat it. But this was already after she ate before 530am.

68. Sharon14

Can you run a curve today? Testing her every two hours, so starting now @8 then 10...

69. Bobbie And Bubba

Great news that she is feeling better. A +1 or a +2 test is always good to get to see how active the cycle will be. If at +1 or +2 the number is the same or less than the pre shot number, it means it could be an active cycle and vigilance is needed. Since it's all ready past that time, I would aim for one that would be about +4 and try and do a curve today every 2 hours from the +4. That information will be valuable to see how this dose will do.

Sharon14 likes this.
  70. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I'll start right now.

71. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

If your doing it on a tablet it might not work. I can view but can not enter data. I can only enter on desktop or phone.

I use the same phone you do. Someone else set it up for me since I couldn't do it on phone or kindle fire. Once it was done I can do it on the phone. It might be faster to let someone do it for you.

EricH. likes this.
  72. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's 345 at 914am.

Sharon14 likes this.
  73. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I don't own a tablet or a computer at the moment. Everything l do is through my Droid which is a Galaxy S5

74. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Great news Sharon! Phoebe just ate a bunch of the chicken breast l made her! Yeah! Great sign!

JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  75. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Ok as of 11:21 Phoebe is at 285.

Sharon14 likes this.
  76. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Sharon is that good? Where should we be in 2 hours?

77. Sharon14

285 is still high, but since she was over 400 this AM, it shows the ProZinc is working. Sue and Rachel will help you find a good dose when you get a little more data. We'd like to get her where she's in the 200's at preshot time and in the 100's at nadir(the time when the insulin is at it's peak-usually 5-7 hours after the shot, but can vary). By testing through the day, your finding out when the insulin has onset(starts working), nadir, and it's duration. Hopefully Marje can set up a spreadsheet for you, after that you can fill it out from your phone.

EricH. likes this.
  78. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Better numbers than yesterday, which is always a good sign of movement in the right direction. We suggest holding a dose at least three cycles before increasing, unless the number at nadir is 50 or under or the preshot is under 200. Slow and steady, good that she ate and is feeling better and that her numbers are lower than yesterday.

EricH. likes this.
  79. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Nice downward movement!

EricH. likes this.
  80. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

I just wish l could be home all day with her tomorrow. I'll be able too get readings at 530am and 730am before work and of course when l get home from work.

81. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

As of 120pm Phoebe is at 353. Could her anti nausea medication cause it too spike up or is this the normal rate?

82. Sharon14

I don't think anti nausea meds cause spikes. How many hours after her shot was that test taken? Since many of us are in different time zones, start reporting her numbers as +#'s. For example 2 hours after her shot would be +2, 5hours after +5...

83. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+10. BG IS 407
    Central Zone

84. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Hmmmm....I'm thinking that's about normal. She was mid 400s this morning, right? And went down to high 200s at +6....and now is going back up on the way to PM preshot.

85. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Yes Rachel she was at 421 at 536am.

86. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+12 BG is 389 at 530pm central time zone

87. Sharon14

So your curve readings are
    7/24
    AMPS 421
    +4 345
    +6 285
    +8 352
    +10 407
    PMPS 389
    +2 373
    +4 304

How is her eating?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
    EricH. likes this.
  88. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She's doing really well! She ate a nice amount of the shredded chicken breast l made her. As well as her turkey, salmon, and duck dry food. Offered her a can of Weruva chicken n gravy which l think eventually she'll like but, still shows no interest. Likes the treats given during ear pricking. Hahaha. Should l continue too test or give her ears a break? I'll be able to test tomorrow as well. Drinking plenty of water. She's showing her spark again. She did a lot of talking today.

JanetNJ likes this.
  89. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

The Prozinc adjustment seems to be working.

90. Sharon14

I would at least get a before bed test every night. Post it here so we can add it to today's results until we can get the spreadsheet set up for you. I'm so glad she's feeling better! Go Phoebe!!!!:cat:

EricH. likes this.
  91. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that she ate well! The numbers are higher than we'd like, but the insulin is clearly working...and she didn't drop super low which is good. Since you can test tomorrow, I'd get your normal preshots and then something in the mid cycle range...around +6 if you can...just so we can see how low she goes. It'll help to determine if the dose needs to be adjusted or not. :)

Isn't it wonderful when they first start to really feel better? I remember with Gypsy, I didn't truly realize how bad she'd been feeling until we got started with insulin. I guess it's a slow process for the when they are getting sick so you don't always see it until they get better. I'm glad that Phoebe is starting to be her old self!

EricH. likes this.
  92. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Awww...Phoebe thanks you Sharon for the well wishes as l as well!

Sharon14 likes this.
  93. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Phoebe's BG is
    373 at +14 at 730pm central time zone

304 at +16 at 930pm central time zone

94. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

Rachel wonderful is an understatement! It's made me feel good beyond words too see/know that Phoebe was feeling better today! Too have witnessed her flickering eyes on the Saturday morning of 4th of July weekend. And to see her now is wonderful.

Thanks everyone for getting her here! ❤

JanetNJ and Sharon14 like this.
  95. Sharon14

96. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

474 at 5:55 a.m. Central Standard Time

97. Sharon14

How's she feeling this AM?

EricH. likes this.
  98. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

She seems ok. She ate some and got a few treats as l checked her glucose.

Sharon14 likes this.
  99. EricH.

EricH. Well-Known Member

+2 367

100. Sue and Oliver (GA)

Now if she would just eat wet food! Has anyone suggested just putting a little bit of the wet food in a dish next to the food she will eat? Sometimes if they think it is their choice, they will start eating it. :p

When we switched Oliver from dry to wet, he dropped 100 points overnight, just imagine her +2 100 points lower!

Meanwhile, I'd give this dose today and tonight and if she is still in the high 300s for preshot tomorrow morning, then maybe increase to 1.5. (Hoping you could get a level 5-7 hours after the shot) We have to compensate for the extra carbs in the dry until she decides wet would be okay...

Glad to hear she is more like herself.

EricH. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.