? Wally, 9/6 - Lantus - AMPS 273, +4.5=69, +5=68, +6=78, +7=104, +9.75=346, PMPS=461, +2 471

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ginger Cat, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Ginger Cat

Ginger Cat Well-Known Member

Here we go again. I've fed him FF pate after each test as I wanted to see if his BG would go up with just his normal food. It's going up, but slowly. Right now I've been following the SLGS protocol, but I'm thinking since I work from home I should switch to TR. I know some of you have suggested doing so.

If I do, then, depending on how his BG is by PMPS, would I give him his usual 1.5 unit of Lantus? He's acting fine, other than was begging for food which is his way of telling me he's low.

Ironically, I was planning on doing a curve tomorrow since it's been 7 days since he's back up to 1.5 units BID vs 1.25.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Beautiful curve you've got going there! He's finally hitting his stried!

If you're going to be home and can test fairly regularly - and there's no dry food then why not switch to TR? Right now after he's had his fun surfing in the lagoon, he's likely to bounce..he seems to enjoy those reds...so it wouldn't surprise me if that's his next stop.

The only other thing I'd change is to switch to a human meter - so you can test frequently and save your money for plenty of food for Wally :) Sounds like he has a great appetite!

teresazu likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Feeding him a little low carb after each test when in those low (but safe) greens was exactly the right thing to do, or least it seems to be working for Wally. :D

If you want to switch to TR, the reduction point is when they go below 68. He was so close today. The other thing with TR, is you will have to get a second test in every night, so maybe one just before you go to bed.

teresazu likes this.
  4. Ginger Cat

Going forward, getting that extra nightly test shouldn't be a problem, as my B&B business is entering the slow season so I can stay up later and sleep in a little more. Granted, this entire B&B season has been crazy because of Covid-19 :)

So - I will change my signature from SLGS to TR.

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Lots of time before that PMPS! As long as he's above 150 and you've got plenty of supplies like strips, high carb food, karo/honey/syrup, I'd shoot the 1.5

If he's below 150, you'd stall, don't feed and test again in 20-30 minutes to see if the number goes up without the influence of food. Use that time to update your subject line to something like "stalling! need help!" to get some eyes on you ASAP. Once you have somebody to help you, you can go back and edit it again back to the standard format we use

Ginger Cat likes this.
  6. Ginger Cat

Using the PetSure strips saves me a lot of money. I actually started off using a human meter and then switched to the AT2 (now have 2 of them) and am happy with the results.

7. Ginger Cat

He just tested at 346 so the bounce is starting. Unless he suddenly drops dramatically in the next couple of hours, he'll be getting his 1.5 units...

8. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

I made the switch on July 10th and while it kicked my butt (some sleepless nights!), it was the BEST decision I made regarding Max. He was a bouncer too and I just could not get him regulated. We are now on day 8 of his OTJ trial! It’s SO worth all the work/tests. Just make sure you have your hypo kit stocked up- all Max ever needed was Fancy Feast gravy food! Oh, and a few Temptations cat treats! Stock up on your PetSafe strips (you may find you run out faster than you think!), and you should be good to go!

teresazu likes this.
  9. Ginger Cat

I just ordered another 3 boxes of strips. I try to always have at least 4-5 boxes on hand and re-order when I get down to 3 since I'm going through them so fast!. And congrats on Max being OTJ.

Rebecca & Max (GA) likes this.
  10. Rebecca & Max (GA)

Rebecca & Max (GA) Member

Thank you...and it sounds like you are totally ready for this. Good luck!!! :)

Ginger Cat likes this.
  11. Ginger Cat

Of course, now that it's shot time, he's not all that hungry. Not surprising given that he's eaten more during the day than usual. He's eating enough to get his insulin and will probably eat more in another hour or so.

12. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's OK...Lantus is a gentle insulin that doesn't usually start to "kick in" for 2-3 hours after the actual shot, so as long as he's not totally refusing food or sick and not eating, he has those 2-3 hours to eat his meal slowly if that's what he prefers!

Ginger Cat likes this.
  13. Ginger Cat

10:30 pm - 0 ketones, 1000 mg/dL sugar. Ate a little more of his dinner, but didn't finish...