Wanting to give diet change a chance to work but wondering if numbers should be slightly lower..

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by JackieP, Nov 18, 2021.

1. JackieP

JackieP Member

Wondering if anyone can take a look at my spreadsheet and give some advice…. Mickey was just diagnosed a couple weeks ago (single reading at the vet, in the 300s.) we were sent home with prozinc the next day and told to give 1u 2x a day… I had mentioned that I would be switching him over to low carb wet food but the vet didn’t say how that would effect his insulin dosage or potentially put him in danger… well now I know thanks to these boards and the FB group.
    Ever since a borderline hypo scare last week, he has been in what I think are “no shoot numbers” or at least numbers I’m scared to shoot at so I’ve just been trying to collect data as much as I can to show the vet… He’s still in in the blue quite often. I know “normal” range is 50-120 but is there more of a precise “ideal” range to get him into remission?? I remember reading something about a needle dose or micro dose or something like that, and wondering that would be better than not shooting at all? Or if I should hold off a bit longer.

2. Emma Troxell

Emma Troxell Member

If you are comfortable and can be around to monitor I would shoot a lower dose, maybe 0.25U - if you want to follow a dosing protocol, I like start low go slow because for me it is less stressful than tight regulation because I am not comfortable shooting under 100. since he dipped below 90 on 11/11 when you gave 0.5 he did earn a dose reduction to 0.25. however I would totally understand if you dont feel comfortable because I am in the same boat. From what other members have shown me, you want to see more green than blue for on OTJ trial. I'll tag some of the wonderful members who have been helping me out for their opinion :)

JackieP likes this.
  3. Emma Troxell

Emma Troxell Member

JackieP likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Yes. Continue without insulin and give the food trial more time. Get a Ambg and pmbg and then test 3-4 hours after eating. It looks like he very well will be diet controlled.

Diane Tyler's Mom and JackieP like this.
  5. JackieP

JackieP Member

I can’t for the life of me figure out what OTJ means

6. Emma Troxell

Emma Troxell Member

off the juice! aka insulin :)

JackieP and tiffmaxee like this.
  7. JackieP

JackieP Member

Ah! Okay. Yes, I would love to get those numbers down a little more but I’m feeling conflicted on the safest way to do it.

8. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Maybe try a drop dose. Push the plunger all the way in and hold ir in as you put it into the vial. Then release it and a drop will be drawn up. When you inject your cat hold for 10 seconds if he will let you.

JackieP likes this.