Was able to test Diesel FINALLY

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Knom3, Oct 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Ok so,

From my much needed advice that I had received yesterday (thanks again everyone) I am having trouble with my glucose monitor for Diesel. I've searched the web and read the manual and I can't find my answer. Hoping you all could help

First of all getting blood from Diesel is so hard right now, he hates it. I cant eve get blood to draw from his ears even after watching multiple tutorials on youtube. I had to draw from his paw pad to even get any blood, and I put the blood on the test strip and I know I'm getting enough on the strip, but the monitor only shows a blinking left arrow. Any clue what that means?

EDIT: Was inserting the strip too soon and it wasn't able to test him, and after much fighting and trying to get blood to come out his level is at 232. I know thats on the high sider :( I dont know if its because he is stressed because I had to poke him so many times.

I haven't given him a dose of insulin since 8AM when I last feed him his high carb food and I have him canned wet for a snack around 1:30

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    SDAbby, Nakikki, JanetNJ and 2 others like this.
  2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

232 is not that bad of a number, KUDOS you got the test done! yay!

I am curious though...why are you feeding high carb food?

Would you like to set up a spreadsheet? We really need one once the testing get down pat. You can find how to do that here:
    FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

If you are having trouble there are people, ready, willing and able, to help you with it.
    jeanne

Knom3 and Panic like this.
  3. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

232 isn't a bad number for a new diabetic actually.

Patience is key when first starting to home test - it took me about 4 days before I could get a reading in good time. The capillaries in the ear need to form before the blood flows easily, so part of it is just waiting for that to happen once you start poking. Don't stress. :)

4. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

That was my advice last night, because Kayla was shooting Novalin without (yet) being able to test. It didn't seem like a good idea to do the transition to low-carb food under those circumstances!

5. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Ugh yes I need to get started on that spread sheet!
    I was only finishing his old food first because on the insulin he is on right now, per the advice I was given yesterday on a different thread, I plan to get him on a lower-carb diet and wet food only! I just know I need to be careful doing so. Also the vet gave me prescription hills science diet before I knew thats not a good option, but I returned that today! I got some canned wetfood but they were too high in carbs so I will be going back to the store to get lower carb cans ):

6. Nan & Amber (GA)

We're all in different time zones here, so we like to use "+" notation, counting the number of hours past shot time to tell time. Could you translate your times and your BG reading (yay!!!! by the way!) into those terms? Something like:

AMPS (morning preshot BG) ?, high-carb breakfast
    +? : 232
    +5.5: low-carb snack

7. Nan & Amber (GA)

You can hang onto some of those, particularly if they are "gravy" varieties of food. We use them when kitty starts to go low (or does go low), to help steer and bump up the BG. The gravy varieties are nice because all the carbs are in the gravy itself, and it's easy to just give a tsp or so of that to get some quick carbs into the cat (most cats love it! I swear, some of them try to finagle low numbers just to get the gravy treat!)

8. Knom3

Knom3 Member

AMPS (morning preshot BG) ?, high-carb breakfast
    +6.5 : 232

Yes thank you! I apologize, I saw that on previous threads and had no clue what that meant. I hope I did that correctly
    What does AMPS stand for? And BG stands for Blood Glucose right? I feel so silly this is all new to me. TY for patience <3

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  9. Nan & Amber (GA)

You're doing great, even translating our shorthand properly :D

BG = blood glucose
    AMPS = a.m. (morning) pre-shot BG test
    PMPS = p.m. (evening) pre-shot BG test

There's a whole glossary (link below), some of it has now fallen out of use, but a lot of it is current jargon.

FDMB Glossary

Knom3 and jt and trouble (GA) like this.
  10. jt and trouble (GA)

Ahhh understood thank you! ;)

Nan & Amber (GA) and Knom3 like this.
  11. jt and trouble (GA)

;):):bighug:

Knom3 likes this.
  12. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Sweet thank you!

AMPS (morning preshot BG) UNknown, high-carb breakfast
    +6.5 : 232

So unfortunately I didnt get his BG until 6.5 hours after his shot in the morning.
    Now I'm scared to even use the insulin since its harsh on him. Or what to even feed him for the time being. I just want to make sure I have everything on hand ready.

13. Nan & Amber (GA)

Now to business: that 232 is definitely in the diabetic range (normal for cats on a human meter is roughly 50-120), but is not particularly high for a diabetic cat (when you start on the spreadsheet you'll note that the designers created distinct color-codes going all the way to the 500's, so that tells you what kinds of numbers we're used to seeing!).

You're late in the insulin cycle at this point and he's in safe numbers, so your next test can wait until the evening pre-shot. In the case of Novalin, the procedure is:

(1) test, (2) feed, (3) wait 60 min, (4) shoot

so you'd be doing your PMPS roughly an hour before you intend to shoot. The point of the pre-shot numbers is to verify that his BG is high enough to shoot. We use 200 as a general "no shoot" number, but anything below 250 (as he is now) warrants caution with an insulin like Novalin. From the BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO HUMULIN N/NOVOLIN N/NPH

Q: It’s time for my cat’s shot but the BG is a little too low. What now?
    If your cat’s BG is a bit below 250 mg/dL [13.8 mmol/L] on a human meter you can consider ‘stalling’. Stalling is waiting - without feeding your cat - for 20+ minutes, then retesting to see if the BG has risen to a suitable level. You are looking for a number that is rising, not falling, and is up to at least 250 mg/dL [13.8 mmol/L] on a human meter.

Definitely post here if you get a lower-than-expected pre-shot number. We'll be happy to talk you through things and answer any questions you have about it!

14. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Ok perfect! TYSM again! I will let yall know the update

15. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

16. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is the new link:http://catinfo.org/docs/CatFoodProteinFatCarbPhosphorusChart.pdf

Kayla here is the food chart
    Most of us feed Fancy Feast Classics they are under 10% carbs
    Take a look
    You can get the Beef Pate
    The Chicken Pate
    Beef and liver pate
    Turkey and giblets pate
    Beef and liver pate
    Chicken and liver pate
    Beef and chicken pate
    These are all 3% or 2% carbs

18. Diane Tyler's Mom

What meter did you buy,
    Did you get the syringes with half unit markings
    Do you still have any dry food you are feeding him yet
    If you do you have to transition him to the wet food slowly
    And you have test him more than once after his AMPS (morning shot) and his PMPS ( evening shot)
    I am going to tag a few members to tell you how to transition
    If you ever want to tag someone for help
    This is how to do it
    After the last word you write you would do one space after the last word
    Like this @then the person you want to tag
    Like this @Knom3

Do you see it came up in blue
    When you tag someone you will see members names come up when you start to type the first
    few letters then tap on their name
    Try tagging me if you want to

19. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Nan & Amber (GA)

@Panic
    Hi ladies can you please read #18
    Can you tell Kayla how to transition from dry to wet.
    I never had to do that because I immediately started to test Tyler.
    He went right from dry to wet immediately
    I asked her if she had any dry food left
    Thank you

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

• It would be helpful if you can set up your signature
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgentsave

t is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar ( the pic of Diesel )where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save

Look at mine it's what is in gray writing

21. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I bought the Relion prime(it was me having issues with the test I put the strip in too early but I figured it out now)

I’m still looking for half units unfortunately my Walgreens doesn’t have any so I will have to go back
    To Walmart I think someone told me they have them there

Yes I have some kibble leftover! And I got a lot of wet food that was suggested on that list. Even the medium, high carb in case he goes too low.

22. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I bought the Relion prime(it was me having issues with the test I put the strip in too early but I figured it out now)

I’m still looking for half units unfortunately my Walgreens doesn’t have any so I will have to go back
    To Walmart I think someone told me they have them there

Yes I have some kibble leftover! And I got a lot of wet food that was suggested on that list. Even the medium, high carb in case he goes too low.

23. Diane Tyler's Mom

• It would be helpful if you can set up your signature
    • On the left, under Settings, Click on Signature. This is where you will put information that helps us give you feedback.
      • There is a limit of two lines which may include two links; you may separate pieces with commas, dashes, | etc. This is where you paste the link for your spreadsheet, once it is set up.
      • Add any other text, such as
      • Caregiver & kitty's name (optional)
      • DX: Date
      • Name of Insulin
      • Name of your meter
      • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
      • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
      • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
      • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
      • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.
      • Please do not put any information about your location in the signature for security reasons. If you wish to add your country location, please add it to your profile.
    Be sure to click the 'Save Changes' button at the bottom. If you need help urgently

It is important we know these things at a glance. We don’t want to waste valuable time finding out information.

tap on your avatar ( the pic of Diesel )where it says your name ,then hit profile page ,tap on that ,then go up to the very top, upper right hand side and tap on your name ,it will bring down a drop box, tap on signature, the signature will be under settings, tap on the signature then and you can start to add what I posted above, make sure you hit save

Look at mine it's what is in gray writing

jt and trouble (GA) and Knom3 like this.
  24. Nan & Amber (GA)

I think we're going to play things by ear on the food transition. That 232 makes me wary of going fast at all on switching to low carb, but we'll see how things go.

Quick question: did your vet diagnose via a fructosamine test, or just do a glucose check in-office?

25. Diane Tyler's Mom

Yes Walmart has them , just make sure they give you the correct ones, I think they are also Relion.
    You might need a prescription from you vet for the syringes

26. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi Nan she does have some kibble left how much I don't know #20
    Should we tell Kayla just to keep feeding that for now ?

27. Nan & Amber (GA)

Maybe... I want to see what the PMPS is first, though, to see if there's even going to be a shot tonight.

28. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Panic
    This was from yesterday about the food and dose,had to post it below

29. Diane Tyler's Mom

1. this.
    2. [​IMG]
      Panic

I do live near a Walmart and I will go tomorrow to return the food to pets mart and get a testing kit.
      What food was your kitty previously on? We don't recommend changing food to low-carb without testing as a simple diet change alone can drop BG significantly. Some lucky kitties even go in remission on the diet change alone. If you switch food tomorrow, consider cutting the dose in half to 0.5u.

Should she still stay with the 1 unit?

30. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I was actually just talking to Marje about this because stalling is NOT mentioned for SLGS on the in-and-out insulin stickies. She said stalling isn't listed because you need to practice more caution, especially with new members. So with that in mind I believe, especially when considering it being Novolin, anything under 250 should be skipped.

31. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

If switching from high to low carb I would half the dose, so only give 0.5 units until we can see (after a week) that Diesel needs more. Definitely practice caution with Novolin.

32. Critter Mom

33. Nan & Amber (GA)

Okaaaay..... why is it in the Novolin "Beginner's Guide" sticky, then???

I agree on the point about skipping anything but a high number (and am betting that's what's going to happen when we get the PMPS tonight), but it is a little frustrating to have info about stalling in the stickies if it's not correct. With uncommon insulins like Novalin, I lean pretty heavily on the written info.

Is there a separate write-up for SLGS as it is practiced in the Vetsulin/Novalin/NPH forum? I can't find one.

34. Critter Mom

To the best of my knowledge, Nan, there's only one FDMB dosing method for Vetsulin/Caninsulin, per the beginner's guide sticky. (But I could be wrong.) Don't know about the N insulins.

Mogs

35. Nan & Amber (GA)

That's what I'm finding for both Vetsulin/Caninsulin and Humulin/Novalin/Caninsulin-- both describe basically a SLGS type of method (other than including stalling), but not named as such, so I was wondering if I was missing something somewhere.

36. Knom3

Knom3 Member

37. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I wonder if it just hasn't been updated? I was talking to Marje about the Prozinc SLGS sticky, which was updated a few months ago. I would assume if they don't recommend stalling for Prozinc's SLGS then the same would be said for the harsher insulins.

Then again, SLGS isn't an official protocol or anything.

38. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

39. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I'd like to feed him the lower carb wet food, I just dont have the half syringes yet unfortunately.

40. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Do you think you can eyeball it well enough? Get it in between the 0 and 1 unit mark. It would help too if you mixed the food for a few days, to keep him from having stomach upsets.

41. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I think I can.
    Yeah I can mix the food, I was just worried to do so because of the dry food being higher carb.

42. Diane Tyler's Mom

Just to show you these

[​IMG]

Knom3 likes this.
  43. Diane Tyler's Mom

Gotta go test Tyler , will be back later to see how Diesel is doing

44. Nan & Amber (GA)

Right now, carbs aren't the enemy, they're helping to keep Diesel safe. This is a temporary situation, until you get some more data on how he's responding to the insulin or are able to switch to a gentler insulin.

45. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Okay yes true! I will mix wet/dry. And am I doing .5unit or a whole?

46. Diane Tyler's Mom

47. Diane Tyler's Mom

48. Knom3

Knom3 Member

49. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

.5 units please!

50. Nan & Amber (GA)

I don't think you can shoot any dose if he won't eat. Is it because he's decided he likes one food more than the other and won't eat the mixture? Or something else?

51. Diane Tyler's Mom

Panic said .5 units see #47 that's if he eats most likely.

In the case of Novalin, the procedure is:

When are your shot times, you want to try to stay as close to them as you can

52. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I mixed the wet/ and dry together and he didnt like it. I can tell for sure he likes them separate...not together They're so stubborn! I have dry food out rn and he is eating that as we speak

53. Diane Tyler's Mom

What time is it by you, I think you said you live in Texas?

54. Nan & Amber (GA)

"Excuse me, waitress? This isn't what I ordered, I'm sending it back!"

55. Knom3

Knom3 Member

It's been 12 hrs as of 30 mins ago I did his first shot at 8AM and it is 8:30PM rn

56. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Also I am doing the spreadsheet and Im just getting confused about the PMPS section... since I haven't given him his shot...I am not really sure where to put his BG

57. Diane Tyler's Mom

So you are late now?
    You tried feeding him an hour before his shot?

58. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Yes I'm 30 min late for his shot. I was unsure what I needed to feed him after I took his BG since it was on the higher side.
    I'm sorry there is a lot to follow and I am getting lost with all this new info

59. Diane Tyler's Mom

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/
    Take a look at this
    His night test the 323 goes in there PMPS. PM Pre-Shot

If you test him one hour after his PMPS that number would go where it says +1 in that box

Then if you test him 2 hours after the PMPS time that goes in the + 2 box and so on

60. Diane Tyler's Mom

Here is an example of Tyler's, I write this in a notebook then put it on his spreadsheet
    I shoot at 8:30 AM and 8:30 PM

This is what I do in my notebook
    10-15-20 Thursday
    AMPS - 69
    Test time 8:30
    Units 2.5
    +1 9:30
    +2 10:30
    +3. 11:30
    +4. 12:30
    +5. 1:30
    +6. 2:30
    +7. 3:30
    +8. 4:30
    +9. 5:30
    10. 6:30
    +11. 7:30

Then it's time for his PMPS
    10-15-20. Thursday
    PMPS-83
    Test time 8:30
    Units 2.75 units
    +1. 9:30
    +2. 10:20
    And so on

Every time I test him I write his BG Next to the time and then enter it on my spreadsheet

I just like to do it this way so I can go back and look at previous days

Your meter also stores all the numbers in it you just turn it on and hit the button on the left
    Make sure you look at the date on it because it will also give you average of the last 30 days, so you don't want to mistake that as a BG test that you just did

How does this sound to you

61. Nan & Amber (GA)

There is a ton of stuff in the beginning, there really is. It gets better, though. :bighug:

62. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Yeah I'm going to write it down in a notebook so I understand more, but I just added the link

63. Diane Tyler's Mom

Don't be sorry
    I don't know your shot times
    Let's just say you shoot at 8 AM
    So you have to start to feed him around 6:50 AM he gets done eating at 7:00 AM
    You wait an hour and then shoot at 8:00 AM

Same thing at night

When you took that BG and got 323 how many hours was after you gave him his insulin in the AM was that?

You can test as many times as you want , you just have to put it on the spreadsheet
    You have to have set times that you decide to shoot
    Whether it be 7:00 AM and 7:00 PM
    Or 8:00 AM and 8:00 PM

64. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Ok yes. Gosh I'm so slow, thank you for putting it into the simplest terms.
    So since this evening he didnt eat sooner than he should. He ate at 8:30pm I'll need to give him 60 mins after that? Even though we are over the 12 hr mark at this point ?

65. Diane Tyler's Mom

66. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Correct. The food needs to be in the system already. You can get back on track tomorrow. :)

67. Nan & Amber (GA)

I think you also have the option of skipping tonight and getting back on schedule tomorrow, what do you think?

jt and trouble (GA) and Panic like this.
  68. Diane Tyler's Mom

In the case of Novalin, the procedure is:

When are your shot times, you want to try to stay as close to them as you can
    Hand on Kayla for the answer

69. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sorry, @Panic, wasn't sure you were still around or I wouldn't have jumped in to suggest a skip. But since I did... what do you think of doing that tonight and just starting fresh tomorrow?

70. Diane Tyler's Mom

So no insulin tonight is that correct Elizabeth?

71. Knom3

Knom3 Member

LOL I'd feel a lot better getting back on schedule and track tomorrow I just feel all over the place today! :nailbiting:
    I'm sending everyone virtual cookies for all your help !!!!!

72. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

I mean you CAN skip, but a half hour off with Novolin isn't a big deal like it'd be with Lantus. Novolin is often out of the system hours before. Up to you. :p

73. Knom3

Knom3 Member

OK OK OK will do a .5 shot then. And we start fresh and prepared tomorrow

74. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Screen Shot 2020-10-15 at 9.20.38 PM.png Just wanted to share a pic of Fin...he's helping :D

75. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Awww! Bet he's grabbing the pen when you try to use it! :D

76. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Yall......I just realized something...I am pretty sure and I feel so so stupid. I dont know how I didnt notice. The syringes walmart gave me are already in half units. I've been giving him the wrong amount of insulin this whole time. I just double checked the pic @Diane Tyler's Mom sent of the syringes up there. And double checked the post @Panic tagged me in.
    I guess I got confused because at the vet they told me the FIRST LINE is one unit and I didnt even realize until now since after yall showed me the half unit syringes I actually have those. Holy crap yall, I am a mess.

77. Knom3

Knom3 Member

78. Diane Tyler's Mom

So what were you giving all along?
    The vet told you the first line was one unit, she better go back to school

79. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Only .5 Units this whole time. So yesterday he only had 1 unit in total
    and then today he has only had .5

80. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

Oh my - so he's had 0.5 units this whole time? I'd rather the dose be lower than you thought than higher than you thought to be honest!

81. Knom3

Knom3 Member

YES ): Yeah I would to, but still ....

82. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'm glad I posted those pics of the syringes

jt and trouble (GA), Knom3 and Panic like this.
  83. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

That's okay! Honestly glad you noticed, glad you were starting at a lower dose anyway.
    Be sure to change your AMPS unit dose now that you know it was only 0.5.

If you included low-carb food tonight you can try to eyeball 0.25 units.

84. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Yeah...Kind of glad too....I may be getting ahead of myself but when I wanted to get on a new insulin would I have to ween him off this one?

85. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

No, when switching insulin you usually maintain the same dose. :) So if you're on 0.25 units on Novolin, it'd be 0.25 units on whatever you switched to as well.

86. Knom3

Knom3 Member

perfect TY! I get paid on the 21st, so I def want to switch ASAP

87. Diane Tyler's Mom

God what a night lol
    Glad we got this figured out lol
    Have a good rest of the night :bighug::cat:

88. Diane Tyler's Mom

Aww Finn is adorable

89. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Yall have a good night too! Ty for continuous support <3
    @Diane Tyler's Mom :D Thank you!

90. Diane Tyler's Mom

You are very welcome :cat:

91. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I can't see the image!

92. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Oh and update...I forgot to put the bottle of insulin in the fridge and was putting it up and dropped the whole bottle :confused::(:arghh:

93. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I hope it didn't break.

94. Knom3

Knom3 Member

Oh it did :) I have tile so it broke on top and bottom. Luckily my friend gave me $ to get more and I’ll be getting the better insulin tomorrow but his shot schedule will be all messed up now. What a week for me </3

95. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Thats a good friend. I'm glad you were able to work it out.:bighug::bighug:

What insulin you switching to?

96. Nakikki

Nakikki Member

Oh gosh. What a week indeed. Sending all the support your way! I hope everything is sorted out soon so you can unwind from the stress.

You've got this!

97. Diane Tyler's Mom

Really I don't know why

98. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

I can't see it either.

99. Diane Tyler's Mom

Oh no, you better just go to bed lol

100. Diane Tyler's Mom

Maybe because I copied it , I'll do it another way

101. Knom3

Knom3 Member

I saw panic suggest Prozinc so probs that!

102. Patty & Teal'c

Patty & Teal'c Member

Prozinc is a good insulin for cats. Teal'c was on Prozinc at first. He was just way bouncy on Prozinc, his numbers never settled down, so we switched him to Lantus. It took about 4 months on Lantus but now he has beautiful numbers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.