Webber Pukus Thread

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by paige, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I gave him a freeze dried liver treat. He spit up two little pieces but continues to throw up foam. Could this be an allergy and what can I do? Give him an acid recuder? Benadryl?

2. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

BUMP

Paige, stay calm ok?

Does he appear to be struggling, in distress?
    Is it white foam?

Has he gotten into anything else in the house? plants? anything like that?

3. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

Re: Webber vomiting and foaming

how long has this been going on? (hours, minutes?) Is it possible he got a little stuck in his throat or something?

4. paige

paige Well-Known Member

No this happend very shortly after I gave hbim the treat. We have no plants i the house. He doesn't seem to be in distressed as far as breathing or anything. He just keeps pacing and spitting up foam. I called the ER vet and she suggested giving him some food.

5. Ronnie & Luna

6. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Libby, just about 10 minutes. He did finally get a couple of hte pieces up and now just white foam. I think I freaked out about nothing but an irritated stomach. Im sorry. I am going to try and give him some normal wet food and see if that will calm down the foam.

7. Ronnie & Luna

was the treat broken up into small pieces? how SOON after did he start? minutes?

I see u purchased dog treats, which is fine (freeze dried 100%) for cats too, they're just bigger size..

8. paige

paige Well-Known Member

He is up on the bed and now and seems to be a little calmer. Wish I was. THank you all for being there. THis had never happened with him and with the diabetes now I wasn't sure if that was the reason.

I will keep you all posted. I removed the 911 and help. Sorry to alarm everyone but I wanted to get some attention for this situation.

9. Ronnie & Luna

if it helps, I have seen instant pukey after cats inhaling the freeze dried treats, remember they are pretty dry, so I try not to give big pieces or too many, cuz literally they are inhaled ...keep us posted ok?

10. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Ronnie - it was a matter of about 5 minutes or so that he started. I did break them up but I guess not small enough. These are going back to the store. I can't have that happen again. He must have just swallowed the pieces.

11. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI.. .may or may not help.. I have given Baby freeze dried beef liver from two different companies & she has puked both up within minutes. So, I no longer give the beef liver... I spent a lot of money on one... but just gave them to my Mom's Dogs. She does fine with the chicken.... Baby is not a puker.. so the first time I gave them a few weeks ago.. I thought it just settled wrong.. so I tried a week later & the same thing happened..

12. Brenda and Morris

Brenda and Morris Member

I'm so glad it resolved quickly. :YMHUG:

13. Libby and Lucy

Libby and Lucy Senior Member Moderator

I'm glad Webber is doing better too. I have a cat who vomits (violently) every time he has beef, so an allergy is possible. It took me a little while to figure out what was doing it.

14. Ronnie & Luna

Nicole u are on to something - liver is one of the treats I've seen comments on for reactions to, besides beef.

Safe bet - stick with chicken.

15. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for helping... :YMHUG:

I promise not to become the town crier.... :oops: I am embarrassed now. These treats are being returned TOMORROW.

I hear you Nicole and Libby. There seemed to have been something going on there. Perhaps an allergy but I won't wait around and try that again just to confirm. Scary!

16. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Spoke too soon....threw up white foam again. Do you think if he would eat some food that would help?

17. Karen & Pearl

Karen & Pearl Member

Goodness! My thought was perhaps something was really bitter. That can make them foam profusely. But it should be over now. Has he drunk any water? Maybe you could syringe a bit? Man, keep that packet. Something is up with them.

18. Amy and Six

Amy and Six Well-Known Member

Do you have some turkey or chicken food to feed? Something that would be gentler on his tummy. Does he seem interested in food?

I would try just a little bit of food. His interest and if he keeps it down might give you some more info.

We've also had strange foam situations that are a mystery to this day.

Also, don't give him benadryl...not a cat friendly drug.

19. Ronnie & Luna

might have an upset tummy to eat, it may just come back up...how much time do u have till ur PMPS time?

if enough time, ride it out and watch him...have u checked BG lately? might see an effect there too.

20. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I hope Webber is doing better. My little dog once got a small small piece of dried chicken stuck in his throat. I didn't knwo it until he got up from under (my) blankets during the night and threw up on my DH's pillow. (Thank goodness it was his pillow. :twisted:

Now, I usually break up the freeze dried chicken and run a little water on it before giving as a treat. I know, I know. One MORE bit of catering, but why deny it? I have no life.

21. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

My civvie ALWAYS threw up the freeze dried beef livers, but doesn't have any problems with the chicken livers. Not sure what was in them, but it really bothered him.

22. paige

paige Well-Known Member

One of my civies just tried to throw up too. Poor things, look what I did to them *sigh*

23. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sounds like pukus time at your house!

If you are concerned that Webber's stomach is upset, you can always feed him baby food. The Stage 1 varieties are plain meat and broth - no onions, no seasoning, no potatos, etc. Right now, I'd stay away from beef unless you are sure Webber can tolerate beef. A little bit of food maybe mixed with water may not be a bad idea either. Don't give a lot -- a teaspoon or so to see if he'll keep it down.

24. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thank you for suggesting the baby food. I don't have any of that in the house, but based on your suggestion I think I will purchase some just to have when we may need it.

He did eat a little and has kept it down. His BG has gone up though, but I expected that with the distress.

25. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Just for future reference, you don't need to open a 2nd condo for a situation that may or may not be emergent. Simply edit the subject line of your first post in your regular condo and you can put in the info just as you did in this condo. Any indication that you need help or information will get people looking at your condo very quickly. No worries for today -- this is just an FYI so all of the relevant information about Webber is in one place.

For tomorrow, please link both of your condos to the new post in case we need to go back for a piece of information.

26. Erica & Moses

Erica & Moses Member

Oh Paige! So sorry about the beefy treats and pukus, that makes for a pretty alarming Sunday.

Did Webber foam twice today? Or was it more? I hope the little guy's doing better... cat_pet_icon

27. paige

paige Well-Known Member

I understand Sienne, thank you for the guidance.

Edited - because I cannot spell ;-)

28. Jamy & Indy

Jamy & Indy Member

I can sympathize with you today - it was pukus day at my house too, including some white foam. :roll: Hope Webber is feeling better soon and is able to keep some food down.

29. paige

paige Well-Known Member

Thanks to all for your concern. Webber is much better now. I think he must have had the foamy pukus about 10 times this evening. No more beef livers for this household!! :evil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.