Week 3 of Vetoryl - Frosty's ACTH stim test

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Ana & Frosty (GA), Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Ana & Frosty (GA) Well-Known Member

Previous post.

Happy Friday to all. Just wanted to update everyone on Frosty's progress. He had his ACTH stimulation test yesterday, and the vet called me this morning saying results were good. She said the 10 mg dose of Vetoryl is working well for him, so to continue it, and she wants to re-check him in 3-4 months, unless something changes.

I think Frosty's sugars have been a little better on the 3 units, but he still bounces. The lowest I measured mid-cycle this week was 140, but the vet tested him at +4 yesterday when checking the ACTH, and got 104, which she felt was too low. She suggested I go down to 2 units and see if he "evens out". I told her I would do a curve on Saturday (tomorrow), and go from there.

@Wendy&Neko , I know we discussed making the cut-off point for reduction for Frosty 110 due to Vetoryl, but I think given he has been rather stable over the last 3 weeks, and I am testing him every night, I think I may want to amend that. I think his sugars go way too high on 2.75 units, and we are at least in the below the renal threshold range SOMETIMES on 3u, although he still seems to be bouncing some days. I think that unless tomorrow's curve shows something really low (like <70) I think I will continue the 3 units. Hopefully he will get used to the lower numbers and stops bouncing.

As for other symptoms, he does seem to be drinking less water and peeing less over-all, probably because his sugars are better controlled. He is still crazy about food and attacks it, and is constantly begging, but his wound seems to be healing. Half the scab fell off, and there is short fuzz there... before it was totally shaved. It seems like maybe it's too soon to be seeing results, so I am not sure if I am just imagining that there's progress, or if it's really happening, but I am glad that it's still closed at least. I also could have sworn his big belly is shrinking and his coat looks a little less dull, but again, I thought it was just due to the placebo effect since it's only been 3 weeks. ;)

I'll post tomorrow's curve in the Lantus forum. Hope everyone has a great weekend.
    Ana

Tracey&Jones (GA) likes this.
  2. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

How great that Frosty is doing better. It was so disturbing to hear of his skin tear. I think some kittehs have fragile skin. When Little Dude had his cat fight and skin tear, it took forever to heal. But it eventually did heal, and most of the fur came back.

Frosty's big belly may be shrinking. If it isn't then you guys probably need to rub it some more!:D:joyful:

Ana & Frosty (GA) likes this.
  3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Great report on Frosty. :) Sounds like great progress.

I think you could lower that reduction point a bit, as long as you are getting those extra tests in. If you start seeing reductions close together, then maybe think about changing it again.

4. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Frosty's fragile skin is caused by the excess Cortisol with Cushing's. Cortisol causes the skin to thin, and all he did was groom himself and ripped the skin out with the fur. Excess Cortisol also causes poor wound healing, and slow/no hair growth. Now that his levels are getting better, we are hoping the wound healing and fur growth will improve. This is likely going to be the last thing we see - improvement in DM, behavior normalizing will probably be seen first.

JeffJ likes this.
  5. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds all positive to me! Some things you see right away an others seem to creep up on you. :bighug:

6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

That is good to know about Cortisol. And I'm glad to hear that Frosty is getting over the issue.

Theresa really likes Frosty's pajamas pictures. He is so cute.

7. Ana & Frosty (GA)

Unfortunately, Frosty is going to have this condition for life - it is being caused by a small tumor in his pituitary, which is located in his brain. The only cure is surgery, which doesn’t have a perfect success rate, is rather experimental still, not to mention expensive and invasive. So he will have to be on the Vetoryl forever, which suppresses the hormone released by the tumor. It is not a cure, but it is a treament that seems to be working. It’s still a little early to tell, but I want to continue posting updates so another cat owner with this issue can refer to it in the future. Either way, we will celebrate any small victory. :)

JeffJ, Jill & Alex (GA) and Sharon14 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.