Weight and Body Condition Scores

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RJ., Aug 14, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RJ.

RJ. Member

So, I got a call from my vet today saying that my cat is overweight. Now, I've seen the charts on healthy cat weight, and from my perspective he seems well within what looks normal for a healthy cat. Am I missing something? The vet tech referred to something called the UC Davis Body Condition Score, but everything I see when I search this has to do with farm or lab animals? She says he has a score of 6.5 out of 9.. anything over 5 being overweight.

Can anyone take a look at my cat and tell me if he looks overweight? Maybe I'm missing something.

20200814_080359.jpg 20200814_080404.jpg

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Found this one for you.

Body-Condition-Feline-Chart.jpg

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Hi RJ on your last post you had said that

I think he's finally at his ideal weight. He's around 15.1 lbs. The vet seems to think this is a good weight for him. He's finally not boney anymore and he seems to get gaining some muscle back. He is ALWAYS HUNGRY THOUGH.

I don't think he looks over weight
    What did the vet do change his mind

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

5. RJ.

RJ. Member

I'm not entirely sure. He had a urinalysis done and the results came back today. No blockage, but still glucose in the urine. Then the vet tech mentioned he's overweight? They tried to tell me his insulin needed to be bumped up AGAIN and that's when I started pushing back and asking why they thought he was overweight (they mentioned his body condition score), I asked him if they knew they prescribed me a high carb food and then they tried to push another high carb prescription food on me. And then when I said I'd rather find a lower carb food instead of upping his insulin to 5 UNITS, the vet tech said there was probably some reason the prescription diabetic diet was higher carb... like there's something else in the food that makes it okay?

Honestly, I'm kind of fed up. :(

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

I don't blame you for getting fed up, they sound like they don't know what they are talking about.maybe time to find another vet, or just feed him Fancy Feast Classic Pates

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: Aug 14, 2020
  9. RJ.

RJ. Member

Yeah, still 4 units. I tested before shot tonight and he was at 248. Sunday I'm going to try and test more throughout the day. That's the only day I have off of work this week.

Unfortunately there aren't a lot of good vets out here. The one I'm at now is the one with the best reviews. The rest seem hit or miss. I could maybe try taking him one town over but I wonder if even getting another vet involved at this point would be helpful if I'm home testing.

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I understand, as long as you are testing and ask when you aren't sure about something just post and ask.
    Understood about testing so just do what you can, if you can get a test or two in at night that would be great

So if you can set up your signature and spreadsheet that would be great

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Once I joined here I never took China back to the vet for her diabetes (but we were also on Lantus and I could get refills from Canada any time I needed them) The people here have more knowledge and experience than the vast majority of vets.

We really do need to get your Signature set up and a spreadsheet started for you. 4U is a high dose and you were started at a very high dose to begin with. It's possible you're giving too much insulin but the only way to know is to start keeping a spreadsheet and getting more tests in.

I'd be happy to set up a spreadsheet for you (tomorrow) Just click on my name and choose "start a conversation" to send me a private message if you'd like my help. It's 2:30am and I'm having trouble keeping my eyes open!

Sorry....I think he's just a little...uhhh...."too fluffy" ;) but certainly not what I'd consider obese! Getting him off the kibble will not only help his numbers but it may help him lose a little bit too. Kibble is very dense in calories so it doesn't take very much to add up to more calories than needed.

12. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi RJ
    The kitty you see to the left? I gauged him to be around 4-6 on the above chart. His new Vet said he should weigh 6 lbs! Waldo was around 9-10 lbs. Vet said he better lose weight or he'd end up diabetic! lol :p I ignored that advice. Waldo was one of those trickster cats. He once (with a cast on his back leg) jumped 7ft up to the bathroom window, broke out and was gone a day and a half before, I found him dragging that cast back home. There was nothing wrong with his condition except a resetting of his leg and CLOSED bathroom window.:rolleyes::p:rolleyes:
    I dont know what it is with some vets. Maybe they just fear what they perceive to be the inevitable ?

Critter Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.