Weird values this morning...

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by abrudney, Nov 1, 2019.

1. abrudney

abrudney New Member

A little background.... Cherokee has been bouncing around. I had been lowering his insulin but he felt so poorly, that I went back up (per my vet) and am modifying his food/feeding schedule to see if I can get him to stop dropping so dramatically. Thinking perhaps he is digesting raw food too quickly causing the dramatic low values.

Last night his PMPS was 688. gave 1U. +4 was 475. AMPS was 173. fed. test about 20 min after he finished eating 140. waited 30 min. tested again. 259. Still have not given insulin knowing that he has a tendancy to bouce, I don't want to take a chance of him going to low. He is still very thirsty.

Any thoughts on this? How late is too late to give insulin after a meal?

Thanks

2. Karen&Rocket

Karen&Rocket Member

Sorry the forum is quiet this morning. I’m not a ProZinc user anymore, so I’ll tag @MrWorfMen's Mom - hopefully she or another experienced PZ person can help.

3. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Cherokee is having a lot of huge drops in BG are setting off bouncing. There are times when duration of the insulin appears to be short and yet others when it appears to be quite long, like this morning with the lower AMPS.

I'm really wondering if it might be worth considering trying a gentler longer lasting insulin like Lantus or Levemir. It might help decrease those massive drops and what appear to be short cycles and just generally even things out a bit more.

ProZinc will generally last 10 to 12 hours but in some cases it's action continues for about 14 hours. It appears that the 1u dose given last night may have dropped BG down lower than the 173 at AMPS.

In a case such as this AM, you can shoot whenever you get a shootable BG (for example when you got the 259 this AM) however if you wait more than an hour past your normal shot time, then your next shot time will have to be pushed back to 11 or 12 hours after that AM shot which may or may not be doable depending on your other committments.

Is the IBD under control? Is there any history of ketones or DKA? Are you home testing for ketones?

4. abrudney

abrudney New Member

His IBD has been under control for the past year and a half or so. I got him off of meds shortly after I acquired him...spring 2017.

No DKA. I monitor urinary ketones almost daily. None present.

I know I am supposed to be patient with this process but quite frankly, I am so frustrated. He doesn’t feel like himself. It’s heartbreaking. I am trying to do the best I can yet I am failing him. Sorry to vent...

My vet has suggested changing insulin. I have hung in there trying to make the prozinc work. But if I give too little, he feels like crap. Give too much and he bounces. A change may be my only choice.

thanks for your input. Appreciate it.