We're new and a little overwhelmed.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Btwinny, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Scout was diagnosed Friday. We transitioned from dry food to only low carb wet food and I've gotten the hang of testing and giving shots and figured out a routine. But now what do I do with the numbers? I've been writing down every test result but haven't done a SS yet (long works hours and not tech savvy) but I will tomorrow. In the mean time her BG tests at AMP and PMPs hold pretty consistent at just under 300. I did a curve the first day (Sunday) we switched to wet and nadir was 150 at +8. She gets 2U but I drop to 1.5U if her preshot test is under 250.

So question.... What do I do with these numbers now? If she is consistent at just under 300 should I increase her dosage? Is just under 300 a bad number? Is consistency a good thing as opposed to her bouncing?

Also, is it a bad idea to give her the shot if I'm leaving the house for the day? I work a lot of 12 hour shifts so her shots are right when I leave and right when I get home. (My son is home and he feeds her and pulls food 2 hours before I get home. He's too young to ask to do the test and shots).

TIA for any advice!!!!

2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm not going to try to answer your question about dosing, as I'm new myself and would be hesitant to address that. But I would like to suggest getting her SS up as soon as you can, because more experienced members will be unable to really help you if they can't see what's been going on with her numbers. Also, get your signature done (the light gray writing under everyone's posts), and that will provide info at a glance. Share when she was diagnosed, what insulin she uses, what meter you use to test her BG, what food she eats, and if she has any other health issues or meds that she takes. Also, you can include where you live. You'll be able to set up a signature by clicking onto your name at the top right hand side of this page. When the menu opens up, click "signature" and take it from there. If you have any problems setting up the signature or the SS, post in Tech Support forum, and they'll help you out. As far as giving the shot before you leave for the day, there are many of us (including myself, occasionally) who have to do this. It helps to gather as much info about her BG levels when you are home and able to do that, as that will give you an indication of what happens when you're not around and how safe it is to shoot when you're leaving for the day. Once your SS is up, you can get more direct help with that question, as well. Good luck with the SS. Here are the instructions to get you started: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/

It's wonderful that you're testing at home and that you switched Scout to low carb canned food. Testing is a major hurdle for many members, so you're doing great already! :)

MamaMug and Djamila like this.
  3. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

Also, include your name in the signature, because it's nice to know who we're chatting with.
    ~ Carolyn

Djamila likes this.
  4. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Hello, and welcome! And yes to everything Carolyn said, so I won't be repetitive. :) As soon as the spreadsheet is up, we can help you figure out what to do with the numbers you're seeing. A 300 on one spreadsheet isn't the same as a 300 on another one since the patterns and responses will vary from one cat to the next. We look forward to getting to know you and Scout!

5. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Oh sheesh.... I thought it did my signature but it was my profile . Signature done. SS will be done tomorrow. I'll come back and ask the questions again .

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

If you have trouble setting it up, someone here could set it up for you.

7. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Omg.... I did it all on my own!!! Shall I repost a new thread asking for thoughts on BG numbers?

8. Silvia

Silvia Member

We are new to this too. Our cat's glucose numbers started looking good-ish (?) 120-200. Then all the sudden today, they are in the 300's. I am hoping and suspecting there were some external factors such as:

1) insulin being too cold (it was still in the transportation ice pack and in our fridge, over 24 hours).
    2) the vet did not have vials available for us to take home, so they sent us some pre-filled syringes. they gave us 5 pre-filled syringes.
    3) he ate some of our other cat's food without us noticing.

I have been so bummed over his numbers today. BUT he is taking our pricking and injecting like a champ!

9. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

He may have eaten more food than you thought. Sneaky little buggers. What are you feeding kitty?

10. Silvia

Silvia Member

He is very sneaky. He knows he's not supposed to eat his brother's food so he will stuff his face in 2 minutes.
    He is having wet food: Royal Canin Glycobalance. However, I will be making the switch to something with less carbs.
    He gave me a low number this morning (lower than most) so I was terrified to shoot him.
    I waited another hour to shoot and that might have been too long as well.
    At least he is being his cuddly and demanding self. Definitely feeling better.

11. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Have you found the food database? I was amazed to see what was low carb. For years I've fed my girls science diet or iams and stayed away from exactly what I am now switching too. I bought a couple cans of super high carb gravy stuff in case they go to low. It's in a bag marked "911". Lol. But scout is still in the 250-300 range at shoot time so I'm not worried about that yet.

12. Silvia

Silvia Member

Yep...I had mine on Science Diet Weight Control. I would mostly give dry food but maybe every other day give him wet version as a "treat." He loves wet food!

13. Silvia

Silvia Member

That "911" bag is a good call. I have a lot of leftover Science Diet canned food. My other kitty is not a fan so that'll be Phoenix's 911.