Wet Food Recommendations

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Emma47, Aug 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Emma47

Emma47 Member

hey Guys, Harry is still constipated and hasn’t pooped since we brought him home 24 hours ago after his enema. We called the vet and we even asked if it could be megacolon since Harry doesn’t even strain to poop he just loafs around all day and looks uncomfortable. The vet assured me that they got majority of the poop out and that it didn’t look like the type of poop that you normally see in a cat with megacolon. He suggested that his diet could be the reason, we switched him over to Fancy Feast Classic Pates last week after his diabetes diagnosis and now that I’m thinking about it, that is when he stopped pooping regularly. What are some good low carb wet foods that don’t have a history of causing constipation in a cat that are relatively inexpensive. He needs to start going to the bathroom or else our only option is to put him down because we have tried EVERYTHING to get him going but it doesn’t seem to do anything and we can’t afford to get him enemas all the time. I’m hoping the diet change will get him going. To everyone who has been replying and sending positive thoughts to Harry, thank you so much. It’s frustrating that the diabetes isn’t even causing as much problems as the constipation issues.

2. Emma47

Emma47 Member

I’ve been giving him Tiki Cat since yesterday but he still hasn’t been pooping:/

3. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

have you tried giving him plain canned pumpkin (not the pie filling can) ? haven't seen that in former posts ...

Emma47 likes this.
  4. Emma47

Emma47 Member

We have:( Pumpkin Purée is mixed in with his food after the Miralax didn’t do anything. The vet will probably prescribe Lactulose tomorrow but if the Miralax and Pumpkin didn’t do anything, I’m not feeling the best about the Lactulose:( Not trying to be negative but we’ve really tried everything to get him to poop and he just gets more uncomfortable and gassy with each day.

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

If the vet got the majority of the poop out yesterday with the enema, Harry probably hasn't got anything much to poop yet, I wouldn't think.
    What were you feeding before the FF classics?
    How long has the constipation been an issue?

Emma47 likes this.
  6. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Did Harry get any subQ fluids to help with the constipation?
    He may have become a bit dehydrated since getting diabetes.....many cats do......and this can cause constipation. Try giving him extra fluids in his food. And check to see he isn't a bit dehydrated.. are his gums slippery or tacky? Does his scruff fall back easily or slowly. Correcting his hydration may help matters.

https://www.petmd.com/cat/care/8-ways-help-your-constipated-cat

https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/ca...itions-a-z/constipation-cats-its-never-normal

https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2014/04/28/cat-constipation.aspx

(GA) Gypsy's Parent and Emma47 like this.
  7. Emma47

Emma47 Member

Harry was on dry food before the diagnosis, I’ve seen people say that maybe I should of taken it slower introducing the wet food but his BG at the time of diagnosis was extremely high. Harry drinks a lot of water and I add a good amount to every one of his meals. It could be possible that they cleaned him out really good but the vet said he should still being pooping by tomorrow or else there could be another issue. I was thinking megacolon because Harry doesn’t even try to go poop like most constipated cats who strain.

8. Emma47

Emma47 Member

I’d say the constipation started early last week but after his diabetes diagnosis I wasn’t paying too much attention to his litter box because at that time he was so lethargic and our main focus was getting him better. As the week went on I started to realize that he was peeing a lot but I hadn’t seen any poop in a while. That’s when I began to check and monitor him when he went to the litter box, he just kept peeing normally and not trying to poo. He did go once on Saturday but it was small and ball like... which confirmed the constipation.

9. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Diabetic cats can drink a lot but because they pee a lot they can still be a bit dehydrated. My Sheba was always a bit dehydrated even though I gave her extra fluids every day.
    If it only started last week it is probably due to either the food changeover or the diabetes/ hydration / peeing a lot in my opinion

10. Emma47

Emma47 Member

Woke up to a small BM in the liter box but along with that was a bunch of vomit. It looks like while he was pooping he was vomiting. Will be monitoring him throughout the day to see if that continues.

11. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Vomiting while using the litter box is a sign of constipation. The straining and muscle contraction is so strong that the cat vomits.
    It could be that the enema did not clear out all the hard poops.
    Miralax takes times to work and can work well. It works by taking in extra water from the digestive tract. But it does not do much for a hard poop that has already formed and has been there for some time.

Emma47 likes this.
  12. Emma47

Emma47 Member

Harry went some more so YAY! I think yesterday he was just all cleared out so it took him a while for him to go. I’m going to keep an eye out for the vomit but that also could of been because we had him walk with us last night like he used to before all of this stuff went down and he ate a lot of food so he could of vomited cause he was super full and then exercised quite a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.