? What do I Fix?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Shellcat, Jan 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

It's only been less than 3 weeks since Mr. Moonie was diagnosed and I feel like I'm not
    ...'Doing it Right'. We're testing before meals, twice a day, 12 hours apart, 1/3 cup wet Friskies and 2 units of Lantus. I did a curve last week and his numbers were all over the place, but nothing under 300. Last night before second meal and shot, he was at 272. Then 2 hours later he was up to 519. We just did morning test of 269, the lowest he's been so far. I don't know what, if anything, I need to adjust. Before diagnosed, he was free fed and for most of his life has weighed near 20lbs. (His Daddy was a Huge local Tomcat) He is down to 12lbs and always hungry. I don't have a spread sheet, I don't know how easy it's going to be with my little 'low rent' phone as my only internet connection.

2. Ken and Sneakers

Ken and Sneakers Member

Hi
    We're testing before meals, twice a day, 12 hours apart, 1/3 cup wet Friskies and 2 units of Lantus

I assume you mean you are testing before every shot. Me, Myself, if all the numbers are over 300, I would raise the dose 1/2 unit every 4 days. Once the numbers go under 300, I would raise the dose (1/2 unit) every 5 days or so depending. I don't do curves in a single day. I would rather spot checks be done at different times on different days so you have a better rounded picture of what is going on.

I don't know what, if anything, I need to adjust. Before diagnosed, he was free fed
    Why aren't you free feeding him now? No reason not to. With lantus, it isn't necessary to make sure the cat eats before the shot.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

First off, I would NOT increase by 1/2 unit every 5 days . We determine how to dose the Lantus dose, based on how low the dose is taking the cat. Those lows point happen sometime in the middle of the cycle - it varies somewhat by cat and other things happening. One of those other things is what we call a bounce. Here is a description:

Bouncing - Bouncing is simply a natural reaction to what the cat's system perceives as a BG value that is "too low". "Too low" is relative. If a cat is used to BGs in the 200's, 300's, or higher for a long time, then even a BG that drops to 150 can trigger a "bounce". Bouncing can also be triggered if the blood glucose drops too low and/or too fast.The pancreas, then the liver, release glucogon, glycogen and counter-regulatory hormones. The end result is a dumping of "sugar" into the bloodstream to save the cat from going hypoglycemic from a perceived low. The action is often referred to as "liver panic" or "panicky liver". *Usually*, a bounce will clear kitty's system within 3 days (6 cycles).

An example of Mr. Moonie bouncing was last night, when he was 272 at the meal, then over 500 a couple hours later. That tells me he was probably lower than he was used to during the day and his body reacted by dumping sugars. Without know how low he really went, it could be dangerous to increase the dose. Once we get a bit more data, we can help you help him.

To better help us help you, that spreadsheet will be key. Let's see if @Marje and Gracie can get it set up for you so that you can at least enter data as you go.

It's early days yet in your dance with feline diabetes. Insulin is a hormone, and Mr. Moonie's body is still adjusting to it. This takes time.

Marje and Gracie likes this.
  4. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

Has he been on 2 units twice a day since you started giving insulin? It may be that your dose started too high.

5. Shellcat

Shellcat Member

Dr. recommended feeding of Dry Purina DM 2xday, told me not to worry about testing right away, and 2 units of Lantus after a meal. This same Dr. office has called me 1time since being Diagnosed. Switching to Friskies paté and testing more often we're decisions I made from information Here.

6. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Whoa Ken. Can we dial it down a notch please? Putting everything in bold looks like you are yelling at her. If you want to quote her info so you can write your response, please use the “reply” button.

I also caution you to be careful about giving advice without seeing a spreadsheet and giving incorrect dosing advice, to boot. And, for members who opt for SLGS, they do curves in one day so we need to leave the door open for that at some point in time. In addition, while some cats do great with free feeding, some need a feeding plan so let’s not throw the baby out with the bathwater. I would also suggest that if you want to give dosing advice, you need to link your kitty’s SS even if kitty is no longer on insulin. I, personally, would never take dosing advice from anyone whose kitty’s SS I could not see.

@Shellcat if you can please send me a private message, I’ll get a spreadsheet set up for you to enter data into. Please just click on “Marje and Gracie” to the left and then “start a conversation”. Thank you and welcome to FDMB :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.