What do Lantus cartridges cost? Info for friend

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Kathy and Kitty, Sep 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kathy and Kitty

Kathy and Kitty Well-Known Member

Hi, all... so many new faces here. Still healing since Kitty Kosmo went to Rainbow Bridge four months ago...

But a friend has a newly diagnosed kitty and wanted to know the cost of Lantus cartridges. We used vials, so I don't know. Can anyone give me a guesstimate of the monthly cost of Lantus using cartridges?

Thanks!

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

We usually paid a little under $200 at Costco (we're on Lev now so not sure anymore, but the price is usually similar.) Most pharmacies will make you you buy the box of 5 pens (I don't think they do just the cartridges any more.) But you are getting 15ml, not just 10 like the vial. Some pharmacies will sell a single pen, but you have to ask around.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Thinking of sweet Kitty. rb_icon

3. Kathy and Kitty

Hi, Ann, thanks so much for the info! Much more affordable than the vial.

Please give beautiful Tess a kiss for me. Hugs for you!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Hey Kathy!! Where the heck have you been? Isn't it time for a roll call?

Lantus no longer comes in "cartridges." There are the Solostar pens. (The cartridge was the glass vial inside the pen.) I paid about $230 at my hospital pharmacy (where there's supposed to be a discount). I'll be checking prices at Costco.

The prices seem to vary from city to city. Calling around is the best way to find a competitive price.

5. squeem3

squeem3 Well-Known Member

There's a $25 coupon for Lantus pens here: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36964 It's only good if your friend buys the pens at a US pharmacy.

You can also use a prescription drug card to save some money at the pharmacy. Here's one that can be used for pets: http://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=53397

You can get approximate prices for Lantus at the local pharmacies using this web site: http://www.goodrx.com/?b=4 The aveage cost here is $230 for the box of five.

6. Kathy and Kitty

Hi, Sienne,

Where have I been? I pulled the covers over the house for a few months. :YMSIGH:

Thanks for the info. Boy, am I out of the loop - no cartridges! I'll pass it along to my friend.

Scritches to the kitties for me.

K.

7. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

I bought one solostar pen, cost $49 at Wal-Mart.

8. Kathy and Kitty

That's a great quantity/price! Thanks.

9. Kathy and Kitty

Thank you! Love the coupon. :mrgreen:

Gee, LL is a great place.

10. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I also buy the pens idividually at my local Target for $47 each, but I know that not all Target pharmacies are willing to do that.

Have you seen Bruce lately? I saw him the other night...check out Trix's condo from 9/20 for a picture. My heart is still pounding :D , and I'm still recovering ;-) !

11. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Kathy, welcome home!

The Solostar pens are $175 (US) for a box of 5 pens at:. http://www.CanadaDrugsOnline.com. I buy insulin from this online Canadian pharmacy and have always had good luck.

Sorry I can't give a link to their Lantus price page. I'm away from home and don't have my bookmarks.

Ella & Rusty

12. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks! Hmm, wonder why some Targets won't do it.

Have not seen Bruce. He didn't come to town, and I wasn't really out and about. I'll enjoy your experience vicariously! :mrgreen:

13. Kathy and Kitty

Thanks for the welcome. :YMHUG: It was a rough summer, but I was thinking of everyone here.

Best price yet! And the link worked fine. :D

I appreciate all the info, everyone. My info was certainly out of date. Cartridges! Silly me.

14. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

You aren't completely out of date on the cartridges, they are still available in Canada and marked NOT FOR EXPORT. My last set of 5 was $102. Sounds cheaper, but all the other diabetic supplies are more expensive in Canada.

15. donnahc

donnahc Well-Known Member

Interesting on ordering from Canada. Do you need to send a paper script from your vet?

We live in eastern PA, about an hour north of Philadelphia. Cheapest price for 5 Solostar pens I could find was $248.00 at a Rite Aid pharmacy here in town. Costco was maybe 3 bucks cheaper but not worth the 45 min to an hour drive we thought, to only save a couple bucks, we’d spend that in gas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.