What happens if I accidentally double dosed?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tommy2016, Sep 14, 2019.

1. Tommy2016

Tommy2016 New Member

Hi Folks, Tommy is ragamuffin about 5 years old. He has been diagnosed with diabetes a few years ago. I take his blood and give him Prozinc for the past few years. He's been doing pretty good on it. However, there will come a time when I will probably accidentally double dose him, I'm sure it's bound to happen. I feed him twice a day, morning and night and that's when he gets his shots. He gets about 10units ( 100 unit) twice a day. What do I do if this happens? I know about trying to avoid double dosing and if I can't remember or if it's a fur shot, not to give him a shot, but it's bound to happen and just want to be prepared.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

One thing I learned from a veteran member just recently when another member couldn't remember if she shot or not:
    always put the two syringes you will need for the day into a glass or mug near your testing gear and use them each day. That way you will know if you have given the insulin.

If you think you gave a fur shot, never shoot again. Better a day too high than a moment too low.

3. Diana&Tom

Diana&Tom Well-Known Member

I would say do your very very best not to overdose him! You say it's bound to happen, but you can take steps to try and prove yourself wrong - try just putting a tick in your diary or on a calendar, say blue for the morning shot and red for the evening shot... do that as soon as you've done the shot, then you can see clearly that it's done and you won't to it again.

You say he gets "about 10 units (100 units) twice a day"? I'm not quite sure what you mean but these are high doses so you really don't want to be doubling up on that. Over dosing can be very dangerous as I'm sure you know. If the worst happens and you do double dose, you'd have to be prepared to watch him like a hawk and take frequent readings throughout the cycle to see exactly what his bg is doing and if he needs to be treated as having a hypo, whether by you or your vet.

It sounds as if he was diagnosed at a very young age. Does he have a specific condiiton that requires high doses of insulin? Are you testing his bg at home? Can you add some more info to your signature?

4. Idjit's mom

Since you are new to FDMB and if you will be posting and may need some help from time to time, please consider creating a signature and a spreadsheet so we can see your kitty's info with each post.

Setting up your signature (light grey text under a post). Here's how:
    click on your name in the upper right corner of this page
    click on "signature" in the menu that drops down
    type the following in the box that opens: kitty's name/age/date of diabetes diagnosis/insulin you're using and dosage amount /glucose meter you're using/what (s)he eats/any other meds or health issues (s)he has. You can add your name, and a geographic location (sometimes the country/time zone matters) Be sure to SAVE when you are finished.

With the spreadsheet you (and we) will see how the trends and patterns emerge, and members can review his progress before offering suggestions or advice
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/fdmb-spreadsheet-instructions.130337/
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/understanding-the-spreadsheet-grid.156606/

Diana&Tom likes this.
  5. Diana&Tom

Yes, please do try to do as Lou suggests above, it will help us to help you.

Also - not wishing to complicate things for you, but you could post general queries on the Main Health forum where there are likely to be more people viewing threads than a more specific forum for certain insulins like the one you're on here! It doesn't matter, as such, but there are usually more "eyes" on Health.

Keep asking questions, we're here to help!

6. Tommy2016

Tommy2016 New Member

Hi Folks sorry about the sig, I'll have to update that later. The dosage is 10 units based off U100 syringe, so about 4 units (using a U40 syringe).

7. Diana&Tom

Ok that makes more sense, thanks!

8. Idjit's mom

Thanks for the clarification, that 10 units sent my eyebrows up a few notches!
    Still, the 4 U (U40) is a pretty high dose. Please do create the signature and spreadsheet, plug in a few weeks of the latest data and some of the more experienced Prozinc users can take a peek.

I have learned that sometimes too much insulin can look like not enough..a high dose given, BG goes low, body says "that's not right, not what I'm used to!!", liver dumps hormones and glycogen into the bloodstream and BG goes high again. That might be what's happening. And seeing the testing results, before each shot and during the 12 hour cycle is going to tell the story. :)

9. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

I used to put out two syringes on a specific place on the counter to use for the day. When I gave a dose, I threw the syringe I used away. If I couldn't remember if I gave the dose, I would look on the counter to see how many syringes were there.