? What is a bounce?

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by mary hornbeck, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

would amount or quantity of food influence numbers? If marmalades numbers are high from PMPS to AMPS should I give him less food at night? Given his numbers per SS so far would be a good feeding schedule for him, right now I’m doing 6a and 6p.

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Not significantly if it's low carb food. High carb food can drive BG up. Having said that, you need to withhold all food at least 2 hours before the PS tests so they aren't influenced by food at all. Other than that, let your kitty have multiple small meals of low carb food if he's hungry and needs to gain weight. You can also let him graze if that's more his style. Restricting food to two meals a day doesn't work well for most kitties even though many vets recommend that.

3. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

A bounce comes after a cat has a lower BG than it is used to. The liver releases extra sugars that sends the BG high. I would not change his food.

4. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Your signature days you give 4 ff cans per day. Are you doing 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening? If so maybe try 1 6am, 1 noon, I 6 pm 1 before bed.

5. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I give him 1 1/2 cans in the morning (6a) 1/2 can @ 4p and 1 can @6 then at least one more can around 9- still trying to figure this out as I work from 9/10a-3/3:30 Monday Thursday and Friday.
    Tuesday’s and Wednesday’s I only work from 9a-12p.
    His number was in the 4’s this morning, is it possible to get his numbers down to the high 200’s? SS updated to referance to

6. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

I can try that feeding schedule on tuesdays and Wednesday’s when I work from 9a-12p

7. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

Should I still stay at 2 units given numbers on SS?

8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

That red AMPS is a bounce from those nice greens last night. The 2 u dose dropped him a lot, though, so I'd be tempted to try 1.75 u again for a cycle or two to see if you can reduce the drama. I see a 2 u dose on your SS for this AM. If you've already given it, that's fine. I suggest you get a +2 test to see what might be ahead for today.

9. mary hornbeck

mary hornbeck Member

He is under my bed before I left for work so I won’t be able to get another read until about 3:30

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.