? What is IAA?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Darnell & Sprocket (GA), Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

I have had 2 people now tell me my Sprocket might have IAA. There isnt alot of info about this online. Only info I found said the test doesnt help much because all cats on insulin have antibodies.
    He was almost regulated around Thanksgiving but he wasnt acting well. He walked away from Zero/Evo mix at time when I was desperate because he wasnt eating much n sleeping alot
    Vet had me skip a dose and he went high then one day later his appetite came back and more.
    Now i have gone back up to 2.75u from 2u after turkey day. Before that he was up to 2.87u. I been using a caliper because of issues with syringes.
    This time everytime I raised his dose he dropped under 100 or close to it then within days sat in high 200s/ low 300s. Three times now. Today he came back down but went up to low 400s.
    Not sure whats going on now.
    Any ideas?
    Does he look IAA?

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Simple answer is no, not sure why someone would have suggested it. There is a certain look to spreadsheets of most kitties with IAA and Sprocket's doesn's have that look. The only way to really tell is to get the blood test for it. Not all cats test positive for antibodies, the majority don't. Only if the test comes back greater than 20% is it considered positive. However, I'd save your money. IAA is thought to be self limiting, after around a year. Sprocket has been diabetic a lot longer than that. Neko's IAA broke after 9 months.

3. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

If you'll look at Grayson's SS tab (sorry, there are so many) from May 31 2012 to about October, you'll see what one IAA kitty looked like. He did not respond to up to 18u ProZinc, so we switched to Lev in May 2012. It took some serious climbing to reach our max dose. The resistance broke / SRT had kicked in, or we had reached the "magic" dose... or all of the above, before he came back down to a normal dose (.5u Lev) and a normal appetite. Though 2.75u is high for a "normal diabetic", it's not for an Acro/IAA kitty. And when we got the test results, the IAA was no surprise as he hadn't been responding to the ProZinc (see Jan - May 2012). I don't know that I would necessarily run the test, unless they're already running the IGF-1 at the same time.

4. Darnell & Sprocket (GA)

Darnell & Sprocket (GA) Well-Known Member

Omg!!! Is that 50units at one point???
    I think I was on Levimere page.
    I dont know what all the treatment codes mean but if Sprocket had that I could not do it. I would have to give him to someone that could care for him. I could never handle that.
    I go crazy now trying to keep him low enough because he is dka survivor2x and ketone prone.
    I dont know how you do it. I give you a huge amount of credit!!! You got balls!! I dont.

5. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Grayson (Hi Lu!), had acromegaly in addition to IAA. Neko also had both but only got to 8.75 units. Her 2012 spreadsheet shows the classic IAA look. ECID, even more so with cats with high dose conditions.

6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Yes. Acromegaly can advance quickly. Leo's pituitary tumor was at least 4x the size of normal pituitary. At Leo's peak he was getting 18 units/dose, and it was barely effective. Then Leo got SRT (radiation) and the dosage slowly decreased. Without SRT, I'm pretty sure Leo would have been toast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.