What is Normal Range with ReliOn Human Meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mary White, Sep 15, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mary White

Mary White New Member

My Sunny was just diagnosed with Diabetes.
    He has been on Prednisolone for 2 years now so it was expected.
    For an unknown, undiagnosed reason, his white blood cells destroy all his red blood cells.
    Prednisolone control that.

I have bought a ReliOn and just got my first blood draw! Happy Dance.
    The reading is 261 and I don't know what is a normal reading for my kitty boy.

Can you help?

I have halved his prednisolone for about 2 weeks and put on a canned food Applaws diet only.
    This is his fasting blood sugar as it was more than 6 hours since his last meal.

Can you offer me any advice?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Be careful on the Applaws food. Is in intended to be a food supplement only as it is not a complete meal. You need to find something else to feed him. There are many other foods that are low carb (under 10% carbs) and still good for a diabetic cat. This food chart lists a number of foods available in the US.

4. Mary White

Mary White New Member

My Sunny was just diagnosed with Diabetes.
    He has been on Prednisolone for 2 years now so it was expected.
    For an unknown, undiagnosed reason, his white blood cells destroy all his red blood cells.
    Prednisolone control that.

I have bought a ReliOn and just got my first blood draw! Happy Dance.
    The reading is 261 and I don't know what is a normal reading for my kitty boy.

Can you help?

I have halved his prednisolone for about 2 weeks and put on a canned food Applaws diet only.
    This is his fasting blood sugar as it was more than 6 hours since his last meal.

Can you offer me any advice?

5. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Normal blood glucose for cats on a human meter is 50-120....261 isn't too bad at all!

Have you started insulin yet or are you trying the food change first? Also, it's actually easier on the pancreas to eat smaller more frequent meals. The only time we don't want them to eat is the 2 hours immediately before shot times so that when you test, you get a number that's not influenced by food. Other than those 2 hours, he can eat when he's hungry!

It will help us to help you if you'd go ahead and fill out your "Signature" and start a spreadsheet so we can see how his blood glucose is doing.

Go to the top right and find your sign-on name and tap on it. A drop box will appear , you will see the word signature, tap that and a new box will pop up for you to enter info into. We usually add:

Your name/Cat's name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health problems or meds? and then the link to your spreadsheet.

To get a spreadsheet, follow these instructions https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/ (but if you have any problems, just say so! Several of us are happy to do them for you)

MisterBillie and Ann & Sister like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.