What's up?!? well for one...Feeburts Dose...

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Shelly and Spaceman, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

Hi all,
    Just chcking in. I am up to 15U tonight. Decided with a little help that I needed to be more aggressive. I have been reading back over some older posts and am feeling better about this dose. It's funny to read about how you guys went through all the same things/emotions that I am going through now. Particularly the whole "I am not going to raise his dose one more time. This is entirely too much insulin" thing. Coming from a previous diabetic cat, 15U bid sounds insane. But here I am and I know that I have done it carefully and now I know why I have to give so much. Stupid tumor.
    Anyway, I hope to start seeing some blue stuff soon. I am beginning to hate pink and was never very fond of yellow.
    See you all soon. Got to learn more about pituitary tumors and such. Good thing I took that Anatomy and physiology class last semester... I get the whole receptor site gets blocked by the wrong hormone thing.

2. Nancy and Cody

Nancy and Cody Well-Known Member

wow, he REALLY likes pink. I did a couple 2unit increases because my vet said to try it. Then she wanted me to let it settle for a couple weeks. I don't think it was very popular here, however. Nothing bad happened. Is he still on lantus? any problem with the injection stinging? I think some moms switched to lev when they got to big doses because of the stinging. I'm not completely sure because we are still using Prozinc, but thinking about U100 BCP PZI because of the cost on these big doses.

3. Shelly and Spaceman

Shelly and Spaceman Member

We're on Lantus. No problems with stinging so far. He's a trooper and just sits and purrs while getting shots. I like lantus for its gentleness. I had a cat on PZI and spent a lot of time worrying about him dropping out while I was at work. I may switch to Lev after a while. He does like the pink. Got more of it this morning. He's going to be stubborn...like his cat mom.

4. OptOut

OptOut Well-Known Member

Hi Shelly. Yeah, we all go through the "not wanting to raise the dose because it simply sounds insane" thing. Once you finally get him to a good dose, you'll feel so good about the pretty blues. Hopefully, you'll find the dose and then just cruise along for a while.

5. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

Yup, know these feelings well! It does get better...

I can't see your SS here at work, but is there any R in use? If not, that's something to consider adding in...

Hope the increase helps (and you can go up after 4 cycles since he's such a special boy).

6. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

With Shadoe, every increase I said to myself, boy this is nuts! but up we went.
    When we got to 14u, I was numb and pretty dumbfounded.
    I did use R at ps, and then split her dose in half. Half on the left of scruff, the other half on the right, and R smack dab in the middle.
    We did switch to Lev as it was mentioned that it would be better for the higher doses due to the sting that Lantus may have.
    All our increases were eventually 1u, and I would have considered larger ones except that she plunged down after the ultrasound and dental and switch to Lev. We seem to be on our way back up so I guess I'll see how things go with you if you don't mind us watching.

I did like the R to bring her down a bit so she could coast at a lower level. It was distressing to be worrying how she felt with high numbers and then also ketones, etc. Better to bring her down from Red or Black and see if it helps them.

When you see the low pinks, then a yellow or two and finally those nice bloos, you and Feeburt will be soo happy. They feel very very good.

Attached Files:

7. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

As Gayle mentioned, some of the high-dosers split the dose into two smaller shots. (Something you might want to think about, but I wouldn't do it at the same time as an increase.)

8. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

The theory with multiple shots is... better absorption when split.

If you think of the injected insulin as a blob under the skin -- it is being absorbed on the surface of the blob or bubble.

One big blob has less surface area than several smaller blobs, so it absorbs a bit slower.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.